No announcement yet.

I Don't Know Where To Put This, But...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read that earlier on facebook… I’m devastated.

Sorry, Sub, I cannot “like” that…
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• This may be one of the most impressive people we currently have in this country.

She's on Path to Be a Top Gun or Cancer Researcher - But First She May Win the Miss America Crown

Madison Marsh is not only the current Miss Colorado–she’s a Harvard student and a U.S. Air Force 2nd lieutenant who has earned a coveted spot to train as a fighter pilot.

But on Sunday night, the 22-year-old will be gunning for the Miss America crown, an event that now features high pressure interviews on stage and a fitness competition.

“Pageants are changing and one of the ways is in what being physically fit means to women,” the Arkansas native explained.

“For me, it’s great because I need to stay physically fit and in the gym for the military, so it already coincides with pageant training.”

As a young girl, Madison had a love of science and a dream to be a pilot and astronaut. Her parents encouraged her dreams, sending her to Space Camp when she was 13, where she met astronauts and fighter pilots.

At 15, she started flying lessons earning her pilot’s license two years later and then began to work towards her goal of becoming a cadet in the Air Force Academy.

She also wanted to try competing in pageants as an extracurricular activity.

“My cousin had competed in pageants for a long time, and one of the big things about it that I love is the community service aspect and the focus on public speaking.”

Just before graduating from the Academy and being commissioned as an Air Force Officer, Ms. Marsh was crowned Miss Colorado in May 2023.
      Sounds like she may give up her dreams of being a fighter pilot and atronaught and go into cancer research as she lost her mother to pancreatic cancer five years ago.

This article also came out before the crowning of Miss America, which Madison won last night.

People - U.S. Air Force Officer Madison Marsh Crowned as 2024 Miss America: 'The Sky Is Not the Limit'

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I find this story interesting. How many languages have we lost over the years? Here, we have someone working to save his native language as he may have been the last person on earth that spoke it.

89-year-old had to 'Speak Up' to Save Believed-Extinct Language of Indigenous People Who Revered Silence

What do you do if you’re the last person who speaks an indigenous language that reveres silence? That’s a fine pickle to find yourself in, and for the last speaker of Chaná in Argentina, it was time to finally speak up.

Chaná, correctly called ‘Lanték’ is part of the Charruan language family, and according to the New York Times reporting on the phenomenon of the resurrection of Lanték, it’s a quiet, throaty sort of language that requires far more manipulation of the back of the mouth rather than the front.

Mr. Blas Jaime, an Argentine from the province of Entre Ríos, was already retired and 71 years of age when he decided to go and seek out someone with whom he could chat in his mother tongue. But years of keeping a low profile and speaking only Spanish obscured the fact that there were no other people to chat with—in that moment, and without a shadow of a doubt, Blas Jaime was wielding a dead language.

At a certain critical moment in South American history, Jaime attended an indigenous fair, and was invited by the organizers to tell his story. From that moment, he realized he could never stop talking, realizing the ancient heritage of his people depended on it.

He was featured in several documentaries, dozens of newspaper reports, he delivered a TedTalk, he spoke Chaná in a children’s cartoon to raise awareness of the language, he put his words and face on a coffee brand, and he delivered a speech in Lanték on an artist’s Instagram account which rung out over loudspeakers all over Buenos Aires.

But most importantly, he spent years working with a linguist Pedro Viegas Barros to create a dictionary which now has over 1,000 Chaná words, as well as an index of Chaná rituals and folklore.

His work has attracted the attention of UNESCO, which devotes a large amount of its time, staff, and budget to preserving and celebrating diversity of language around the globe—thousands of which, like Lanték, are at risk of becoming extinct.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          This may be one of the most impressive people we currently have in this country.

She's on Path to Be a Top Gun or Cancer Researcher - But First She May Win the Miss America Crown

Sounds like she may give up her dreams of being a fighter pilot and atronaught and go into cancer research as she lost her mother to pancreatic cancer five years ago.

This article also came out before the crowning of Miss America, which Madison won last night.

People - U.S. Air Force Officer Madison Marsh Crowned as 2024 Miss America: 'The Sky Is Not the Limit'

In what seems like a bizarro world of late, it's glorious to see them get this one RIGHT. Everything the pageant is supposed to be about....mostly being a woman. Madison is a wonderful example for young girls everywhere.

Comment

• I do love me some Jason Kelce. He really seems like one of the good guys.

Jason Kelce Gifts Signed Eagles Jersey To His Favorite McDonald's Employee

Danielle Bonham was initially starstruck when Jason Kelce, known for his prowess on the football field, first visited her McDonald's drive-thru.

Their interactions over the counter, especially when serving Kelce his favorite sausage, egg, and cheese, led to a memorable connection.

The photo capturing their initial meeting garnered widespread attention on Facebook, accumulating tens of thousands of likes. Now, Kelce not only recognizes Danielle but also knows her by name, showcasing the genuine bond that developed during their encounters.

In the days leading up to Christmas, Kelce made a visit to the drive-thru, initiating a heartwarming exchange with Danielle.

"I thanked him for everything he does for the community. To my surprise, he turned around and expressed gratitude, thanking me for always being kind. He went on to say, 'You're one of the best people that works for this corporation.' It was such a touching moment that I almost found myself in tears," she said.

This week, Danielle had the opportunity to reunite with the Philadelphia icon, who had an extra special surprise in store for her.
            There are pictures and a four minute clip from local news on the impact Jason has had on the Philadelphia community.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Sounds like this will all take place just to the east of most of us here in KS.

Cicadas Are Coming: Rare 'Dual Emergence' Could Awaken a Trillion Bugs of 2 Species - First Time in 221 yrs

No one alive today will see it again—the convergence of two cicada broods that will practically shake the Midwest with their chirping.

The appearance of cicadas en mass is one of the most amazing natural phenomena of the insect world, and we Americans are uniquely positioned to witness it. But this spring, the synchronized emergence of Brood 13 and Brood 19 will fill the air from Iowa to Virginia with over a trillion bugs, an event not seen since Thomas Jefferson’s day.

1803 was the last time that this convergence occurred, and it involves the periodic cicadas of the 13-year brood and the 17-year brood,

It’s not true that the cicadas are born this way. They actually live their whole lives underground and then burrow up to the surface as part of a mass breeding and egg-laying frenzy.

Entomologists estimate that the two broods together will number more than 1 trillion bugs, enough to go to the moon and back, head-to-tail, 33 times.

The two broods will overlap in Iowa and Illinois, and the 17-year cicadas, confusingly called Brood 19 (XIX), will extend into Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia, with a few also popping up in Louisiana.

The next time that these two will emerge together will be 2245.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This kid deserves some recognition.

Teen Who Was Told He'd Never Walk with Cerebral Palsy Just Took 1st Place in Bodybuilding Competition

Hunter Moore is just like any other teen athlete. He loves to play sports, made the varsity team, and doesn’t mind throwing up a few gym selfies on his Instagram.

“It’s all genetics, bro,” he says laughingly while pumping his nearly 20-inch bicep. The genetics, in Moore’s case, is Dystonic Cerebral Palsy from a stroke he suffered as an infant that left him partially paralyzed on his left side.

In this case, the genetics are the obstacle to overcome, not the immutable advantage some athletes enjoy. Yet Moore was born into a military family, and so received an upbringing full of dictates to never give up, to prove them all wrong, and it drove Hunter to spend most of his childhood building a body that was capable of the rigors of athletics.

For 7 years he always made his schools’ soccer teams, and now plays as the long snapper for his junior varsity football team, while regularly posting pretty impressive weightlifting numbers that even a non-paralyzed person could feel safe bragging about.

Even though he can’t use his left arm for isolated lifts, he still tries to incorporate it as often as possible for the sake of symmetry—one of bodybuilding’s most important judging criteria. He’ll lock his left arm around a bar, and pry it away from where it usually sits tucked up into his armpit. Like this, he can do a squat or a deadlift.

By the time he competed last summer in the Professional Natural Bodybuilding Association, he was pressing 120 lbs. with one arm, and deadlifting 405. He took first place in his category in Dallas, Texas, and competed again in November in Las Vegas to win first place in the professional class for Men’s Disabled Standing.
                The drive and dedication despite his circumstances is pretty impressive.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• OKC about to flex on NYC

The Tallest Building in America May Soon Be in... Oklahoma?

You may be as surprised as we were to learn the tallest building in America may soon reach for the skies in Oklahoma City, the 20th most populated metropolis in the United States.

Developers submitted plans for the ‘Legends Tower’ for a proposed development project called The Boardwalk at Bricktown.

The building, if approved, would arise in the southern state of Oklahoma and become the sixth tallest building in the world.

Architecture company AO and real estate developer Matteson Capital drew up plans that would make the structure the tallest in America, surpassing the One World Trade Center in New York City, currently 7th highest in the world.

The symbolic height of 1,907-feet-tall honors the year (1907) when Oklahoma was admitted as the 46th state of the United States.

“Oklahoma City is experiencing a significant period of growth and transformation, making it well-positioned to support large-scale projects like the one envisioned for Bricktown,” said Scot Matteson, CEO of Matteson Capital.

The development would feature three smaller buildings alongside The Legends Tower that will reach 581 meters and feature a public observatory at the top, along with a restaurant and bar where visitors can enjoy the sweeping views.

Spanning approximately 5 million square feet, the project would be mixed-use, including a Hyatt hotel, serviced condominiums, 1,776 residential units ranging from market-rate to affordable, amidst abundant retail and restaurant areas.

I'm not saying Wichita needs to do this, but we really could benefit from the forward thinking that has gone on down in OKC over the last 30+ years to make Bricktown what it is and has greatly benefited OKC as a whole. They had a vision and stuck to it while Wichita gets a vision and when it doesn't happen over night they abandon it and come up with a new vision 10 years later and do the same damn thing.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• For nearly the past 40 years, Wichita has a 10 story maximum lid on the downtown skyline.
                    The 2 tallest buildings were built in 1969 (262 feet and 26 stories) and about 1987 (385 feet 22 stories) both developed by the Garvey family believe.
                    Here’s hoping the biomed campus downtown creates some vertical density.
                    Last edited by Veritas; January 30, 2024, 10:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                      For nearly the past 40 years, Wichita has a 10 story maximum lid on the downtown skyline.
                      The 2 tallest buildings were built in 1969 (262 feet and 26 stories) and about 1987 (385 feet 22 stories) both developed by the Garvey family believe.
                      Here’s hoping the biomed campus downtown creates some vertical density.
                      Epic Center (385 feet, 22 floors, 1987) Tallest building in the state
                      250 Douglas Place (262, 26, 1969) Most floors in ICT
                      125 N. Market (250, 19, 1963) Tallest building from '63 - '69
                      Hyatt Regency Hotel (223, 17, 1997)
                      Ambassador Hotel (172, 14, 1926)
                      City Hall (171, 17, 1976)
                      ATT South (157, 11, 1990)
                      Highland Grand Apartments (157, 11, 1920)
                      Sutton Place (147, 11, 1966)

Every building with more than 10 floors. Could definitely use something more to add to this list. I believe the Bio-Med Campus is planned for 8 floors.

I don't know what space is available downtown if someone wanted to do something new, but I would think there is and will be plenty of demand for living space and plenty of need for more mix-used facilities down there as downtown grows.

Though in order to do this you'd have to destroy a few building and we know Wichitans will defend any old hunk of junk no matter how worthless it is today. Maybe it's not worth the headache?
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Epic Center (385 feet, 22 floors, 1987) Tallest building in the state
                        250 Douglas Place (262, 26, 1969) Most floors in ICT
                        125 N. Market (250, 19, 1963) Tallest building from '63 - '69
                        Hyatt Regency Hotel (223, 17, 1997)
                        Ambassador Hotel (172, 14, 1926)
                        City Hall (171, 17, 1976)
                        ATT South (157, 11, 1990)
                        Highland Grand Apartments (157, 11, 1920)
                        Sutton Place (147, 11, 1966)

Every building with more than 10 floors. Could definitely use something more to add to this list. I believe the Bio-Med Campus is planned for 8 floors.

I don't know what space is available downtown if someone wanted to do something new, but I would think there is and will be plenty of demand for living space and plenty of need for more mix-used facilities down there as downtown grows.

Though in order to do this you'd have to destroy a few building and we know Wichitans will defend any old hunk of junk no matter how worthless it is today. Maybe it's not worth the headache?
                        Good catch. Forgot Hyatt which exceeds 10 floors was built in past 40 years.

Comment

• On this day, January 30, in 1933 the first episode of The Lone Ranger aired! Here is that episode ...

Edit: Actually the above is wrong ... the first airing was indeed on January 30, 1933, but it was a _radio_ show! The above is the first TV show, but it aired in 1949.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            On this day, January 30, in 1933 the first episode of The Lone Ranger aired! Here is that episode ...

Edit: Actually the above is wrong ... the first airing was indeed on January 30, 1933, but it was a _radio_ show! The above is the first TV show, but it aired in 1949.
                            A little trivia. Do you know the man in the pic?

He's Glenn Strange. Played in a lot of westerns and became one of the bartenders, his name was Sam, in Gunsmoke. He played that part longer than anyone else and did it until his death.

Comment

• The World's Highest, Spokeless Ferris Wheel Set for Construction

A new enormous Ferris wheel to go up in South Korea is set to break not only the record for the world’s largest, but break the conformity of what this classic attraction can look like.

Dwarfing the London Eye, the Seoul ‘Twin Eye’ will stand 591 feet high (180 meters), 40 feet taller than the Washington Monument, but won’t have a single supporting spoke.

Described by Dutch design firm UNStudio as the first ever of its kind, the Twin Eye will operate as a spokeless Ferris wheel with two intersecting rings.

Each ring carries pods that seamlessly revolve around inside and outside tracks.

In total, it can provide rides to more than 1,400 people in 64 capsules simultaneously, almost doubling the capacity of the 443-foot (135-meter) London Eye.

The structure is slated to be built in Peace Park on the edge of the Han River next to the World Cup Stadium.

UNStudio, who teamed up with Arup and local firm Heerim Architecture for the concept, says they focused on the principle of unity as a symbol for the design. The wheel is inspired by the Honcheonsigye, an astronomical clock that represents the movement of celestial objects through time.
                              At one point there was talk of a Ferris wheel down by the river. It never happened but I think I'd prefer a smaller version of this design as a more unique structure which may make it more of an attraction. How many spokeless Ferris wheels are there?

I know we're not getting either, but I like the idea of something outside of the norm.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Explorers Say They Think They've Found Amelia Earhart's Long-Lost Plane

The mystery behind the disappearance of Amelia Earhart over the Pacific Ocean has fascinated people for years. But after a recent deep-sea sonar survey, some closure to the final chapter of her life may be forthcoming.

87 years after disappearing somewhere in the Pacific Ocean, Deep Sea Vision, an ocean exploration company based in Charleston, South Carolina, claims to have found something that could be the wreckage of her plane.

16,000 feet (4,877 meters) below the sea, an anomaly that the company believes could be the Lockheed 10-E Electra aircraft she was piloting, appeared on their screens.

“Some people call it one of the greatest mysteries of all time, I think it actually is the greatest mystery of all time,” said the company’s CEO Tony Romeo, a pilot and former US Air Force intelligence officer. “We have an opportunity to bring closure to one of the greatest American stories ever.”

The discovery was made with sonar, a machine that sends a soundwave out into the ocean and detects the echoes generated as it bounces off of objects in its path. Repeated applications of sonar can generate something like a picture in sound waves. The sonar was sent from an autonomous underwater vehicle called a Hugin 6000.

The announcement was first made on Instagram.

Deep Sea Vision surveyed 5,200 square miles (13,468 square kilometers) of ocean, and managed to detect the anomaly 100 miles away (161 kilometers) from Howland Island.
                                They're hoping to try and get an image of the serial number when they return to study it further. If it is her plane, they will salvage it and it will be displayed at the Smithsonian Museum of American History.

Who knows if this is finally what ends the mystery. There have been many theories and alleged evidence to support them over the years, but if someone can find hard proof that they've found the plane, it would be pretty cool. This discovery is in her flight path. I kind of hope this is it as that would be massive news and would spark more new interest in Amelia and her story, which is never a bad thing.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X