World War II Veterans in Family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I know how good your memory is when it comes to Ross, but when the U.S. entered WW1, Ross was only 11 years old. I don't think he was a doughboy. He would have been 35 in 1941, so if he fought, he would have been a WW2 vet. While we say this in a light hearted way, because most WW2 vets were 18 year old boys, but the average age for an American vet in WW2 was 26, so 35 was not unheard of, with the age of veterans entering WW2 went as high as 41. Just a little history on the day after Pearl Harbor Day.

These ages would not be allowed in war today, unless you are Tom Brady.
    A neighbor, Herb, was nearly 50 when he was called. They sent him to Alaska.

Comment

Important story and family memories.

Have you seen the miniseries "The Pacific" ? It doesn't have quite the acclaim as a historic war move as the "Band of Brothers" but it was very good, and if you haven't seen it, I'd recommend it. It authentically followed true stories of men/War Heroes who went to fight in the Pacific. If I remember correctly, it doesn't cover the Battle of Bataan, which happened early in 1942 (after America entered the war following Pearl Harbor in Dec. of 1941) when we were just entering and were in a defensive mode. I do remember Guadalcanal (maybe Midway too) in the miniseries, which was getting closer to when the turning point, when America was just beginning to go on the offensive late in the summer and fall of 1942. Of course, Guadalcanal was part of the Solomon Islands which was close to Australia, and the Japanese were turned back.

Again, I'd recommend The Pacific produced by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks if you don't mind war movies, and lot's of violent war scenes.
      Just turned it on. Thank you for the info!!

Comment

Both grandfathers fought in WW2. They never really like to talk about it and both died in their 60's so I didn't get the chance to really document much of it. Wish I had.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

A neighbor, Herb, was nearly 50 when he was called. They sent him to Alaska.
          Baaaa, looked it up. Herb was drafted at the age of 40 in 1944. Sent to Alaska to serve in the signal corps.

Comment

My mom's dad was in the Pacific theater, serving in the Navy. It seems like he was in the Battle of Okinawa. I don't believe Granddad was ever in any immediate danger, though I think I remember hearing that his crew had to keep an eye out for kamikaze pilots.

My dad's dad served in WW2 era as well, but he might have been stateside.
            78-65

Comment

Nobody directly but my grandpa had a cousin that fought in Italy and North Africa. He earned a medal in Africa for shoving a grenade in the tracks of tank. He also was involved with capturing an Italian Luger factory and brought one back home. When he was interred by the El Dorado holiday Inn Express, there were only two of us there, plus the military for the 21 gun salute.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
              Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

A great uncle served in a medical battalion and was witness to observing the first concentration camp liberated. He took a lot of pictures which was encouraged to document it so no one would ever forget. He wrote a book about it not to long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                  Nobody directly but my grandpa had a cousin that fought in Italy and North Africa. He earned a medal in Africa for shoving a grenade in the tracks of tank. He also was involved with capturing an Italian Luger factory and brought one back home. When he was interred by the El Dorado holiday Inn Express, there were only two of us there, plus the military for the 21 gun salute.
                  21 is reserved for POTUS. Maybe a 7 gun salute x 3 volleys?

My uncle was a retired colonel with 7, I believe. An incredible feeling to witness it.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

My great grandfather fought in WWI, he died before I was old enough to even talk to him. My dad served in WW2 in the South Pacific with the Army Air Corp and island hopped all of the way to Okinawa. He was on Ie Shima when Ernie Pyle was killed. He never talked about his experiences until late in life and had some dramatic stories of life and death.

He had allowed a guy to borrow his uniform/medals once and never got them back. I went through his separation papers and unit histories and built his shadow box. He participated in 4 campaigns.

IMG_4086.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

21 is reserved for POTUS. Maybe a 7 gun salute x 3 volleys?

My uncle was a retired colonel with 7, I believe. An incredible feeling to witness it.
                      Yes. 7x3. Always just assumed that was a 21 gun salute.
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                      Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Important story and family memories.

Have you seen the miniseries "The Pacific" ? It doesn't have quite the acclaim as a historic war move as the "Band of Brothers" but it was very good, and if you haven't seen it, I'd recommend it. It authentically followed true stories of men/War Heroes who went to fight in the Pacific. If I remember correctly, it doesn't cover the Battle of Bataan, which happened early in 1942 (after America entered the war following Pearl Harbor in Dec. of 1941) when we were just entering and were in a defensive mode. I do remember Guadalcanal (maybe Midway too) in the miniseries, which was getting closer to when the turning point, when America was just beginning to go on the offensive late in the summer and fall of 1942. Of course, Guadalcanal was part of the Solomon Islands which was close to Australia, and the Japanese were turned back.

Again, I'd recommend The Pacific produced by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks if you don't mind war movies, and lot's of violent war scenes.
                        Thank you for recommending the show. It was a 10 part Docudrama and I thought it was fantastic. Finished it today. In watching it, seeing what our greatest generation went through in world war II, then comparing that to current reports of our military stressing correct pronouns and woke agendas, is truly extraordinary.

Once again, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Thank you for recommending the show. It was a 10 part Docudrama and I thought it was fantastic. Finished it today. In watching it, seeing what our greatest generation went through in world war II, then comparing that to current reports of our military stressing correct pronouns and woke agendas, is truly extraordinary.

Once again, thank you!
                          You’re welcome. I liked it too, and was impressed by it’s realism.

Comment

Is "The Pacific" available to stream? I have looked a bit but haven't been able to find it.
                            Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
                              Is "The Pacific" available to stream? I have looked a bit but haven't been able to find it.
                              It's on HBO. I steamed it from there.

Comment

Working...
                              X