World War II Veterans in Family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World War II Veterans in Family?

Pin mentioned this on the Dec 7 thread but it would be interesting to learn what relatives we have who fought in either theater.

My dad was 16 when he enlisted in the Navy, my Grandma lied about his age because as an immigrant, she thought it was the right thing for him to do. Ended up driving landing craft carrying troops and supplies to places in the Philippines. Pretty sure he was in the Battle of Leyte, although he never discussed it in detail. He was candid about his experience, sometimes humorous and I think it was a release valve for him to talk about it with me.

I did forget to mention Pogo may be the only one of us that actually fought in WWII

Comment

I believe my dads dad was in the Pacific. Dad said he never talked about it, but one time when he'd had a few drinks he talked about seeing the guy next to him on his naval ship get his head blown off and that he stepped in and grabbed the gun (mounted?) and kept firing. That's the only thing I ever heard about it. Apparently granddad did his best to not think about any of it. Guessing he saw some ****.

My moms dad tried to enlist but they wouldn't take him due to flat feet or some sort. Dude farmed his entire life and I'm pretty sure he would have been fine, but that's the way it goes.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

My Dad served in the Army Air Corps (before the Air Force was it's own branch). He was in refueling and mechanics. He was in Australia, New Zealand, the Philippines, and so on. His entire life he hated rice, mutton, and the Japanese.

Comment

Great Uncle, D-Day+6, Battle of the Bulge, battlefield commission, eventually retired as a Lt. Colonel from the US Army.

I am blessed to have inherited his Model 1873 Colt Single Action Army revolver, which is proudly displayed several feet from where I am sitting right now.

I will never forget the stories he told, and I have passed them to my son. He was one badass hombre.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            I believe my dads dad was in the Pacific. Dad said he never talked about it, but one time when he'd had a few drinks he talked about seeing the guy next to him on his naval ship get his head blown off and that he stepped in and grabbed the gun (mounted?) and kept firing. That's the only thing I ever heard about it. Apparently granddad did his best to not think about any of it. Guessing he saw some ****.

My moms dad tried to enlist but they wouldn't take him due to flat feet or some sort. Dude farmed his entire life and I'm pretty sure he would have been fine, but that's the way it goes.
            My dad was the same way. As the military doctor told him, "With the weight you'll have to carry, you will get yourself out there, but others will have to carry you back".

His brother was in the Parachute Corp in Europe and made it back safely. I'm sure they talk about it, but my dad never said anything to me about it.

Comment

I hardly come on this board anymore, but this is awesome. Thank you everyone for sharing.

My grandfather was in the Army, served in the Pacific, never ever talked about it. He was my hero and I miss him every single day.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                I did forget to mention Pogo may be the only one of us that actually fought in WWII
                Insert WstateU remembering Ross M's WW2 service where they fought side/side.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Insert WstateU remembering Ross M's WW2 service where they fought side/side.
                  Haha!

Ironically, I had a post prepared yesterday and decided to scrap it; didn’t think it was appropriate, i.e., ole Ross and I barely missed fighting side by side in WWI… you were close. Ole Ross and I would have been great “doughboys”.
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Wife's grandfather was in Big Red 1 WWI. Got the Purple Heart wounded in France, and won some special award from the French Government. (edit) Wife finally remembered, the French Croix de Guerre. His commander was either Teddy Roosevelt's son/brother/nephew, wife can't recall. He was with American Red Cross during second war. Passed away about 22 years ago, but was still driving a big old white landcruiser at 100+ years of age, which was.....

From the first time I met him, though, he never got my name right. He called me by lots of different names, and to be fair could get a couple of letters correct, like if my name was Gary, he might call me Harry, or Barry, or Darryl, or Harold, though the wife says that he probably got it right once or twice. LOL. He was one of a kind, as were many veterans from the era.

Comment

My grandfather was in the Philippines and involved with the Battle of Bataan. When he was captured, he was forced into the Death March. He did survive the Death March but died in a Japanese prison camp approximately 2 months before the end of the war.

My dad never knew his father but has spent a good deal of his life trying to find others who were in the Philippines that may have met him while there.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Haha!

Ironically, I had a post prepared yesterday and decided to scrap it; didn’t think it was appropriate, i.e., ole Ross and I barely missed fighting side by side in WWI… you were close. Ole Ross and I would have been great “doughboys”.
                        I know how good your memory is when it comes to Ross, but when the U.S. entered WW1, Ross was only 11 years old. I don't think he was a doughboy. He would have been 35 in 1941, so if he fought, he would have been a WW2 vet. While we say this in a light hearted way, because most WW2 vets were 18 year old boys, but the average age for an American vet in WW2 was 26, so 35 was not unheard of, with the age of veterans entering WW2 went as high as 41. Just a little history on the day after Pearl Harbor Day.

These ages would not be allowed in war today, unless you are Tom Brady.

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                          My grandfather was in the Philippines and involved with the Battle of Bataan. When he was captured, he was forced into the Death March. He did survive the Death March but died in a Japanese prison camp approximately 2 months before the end of the war.

My dad never knew his father but has spent a good deal of his life trying to find others who were in the Philippines that may have met him while there.
                          That’s amazing. Hope you have it all well documented for the generations behind you.

Comment

My Dad was a sergeant and headed up an anti-aircraft gun crew. Effected his hearing in one ear. Was in Northern Africa theater before entering Italy. Came down with malaria while in Italy. Doctors told him he probably would not be able to have children. He had 10. Passed away at age 90 in 2009. As with many WWII vets he didn't talk all that much about it. Raised on a farm. Could do about anything with his hands. Either mechanically or carpentry-wise. Somehow raised those 10 kids while making a modest working mans wage while my Mom stayed home and was able to retire comfortably. An amazing guy from an amazing generation.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 8, 2022, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Important story and family memories.

Have you seen the miniseries "The Pacific" ? It doesn't have quite the acclaim as a historic war move as the "Band of Brothers" but it was very good, and if you haven't seen it, I'd recommend it. It authentically followed true stories of men/War Heroes who went to fight in the Pacific. If I remember correctly, it doesn't cover the Battle of Bataan, which happened early in 1942 (after America entered the war following Pearl Harbor in Dec. of 1941) when we were just entering and were in a defensive mode. I do remember Guadalcanal (maybe Midway too) in the miniseries, which was getting closer to when the turning point, when America was just beginning to go on the offensive late in the summer and fall of 1942. Of course, Guadalcanal was part of the Solomon Islands which was close to Australia, and the Japanese were turned back.

Again, I'd recommend The Pacific produced by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks if you don't mind war movies, and lot's of violent war scenes.

Comment

Working...
                              X