No announcement yet.

Dogs, We Don't Deserve Them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to think that about one of my sweet dogs who wanted to be friends with everyone, but I'd seen her go into protection mode before and knew she was capable of it.

I also think there's a bit of a difference between a strange human and a bear in regards to reaction, as well as a child being in danger. I think a lot of dogs, no matter their personality, will react to protect the child like in the story above.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Foster Dog Saves Family Of 5 From Houseboat Fire

A family in Virginia is calling their foster dog a hero for saving them from a fire that destroyed their houseboat.

The Portsmouth Humane Society allows people to "check out" an adoptable dog and take the dog to local events as part of their "Paws Around Portsmouth" program.

About two weeks ago, Chris Cushna and Sheila Janes checked out a Great Pyrenees named Moose. The family of five took Moose to the market, advertising that the pup needed a home. Cushna said they met a potential owner, but she couldn't adopt Moose that day.

So, the family brought Moose to their houseboat at the Tidewater Yacht Marina and then went to sleep.

As the family slept, the boat next to theirs caught fire. Moose woke the family up and alerted them to smoke pouring in from the neighboring boat.

"Those were critical minutes," Janes told Newsweek. "It happened so quickly and, at that point, every second counts."

The family was able to get out safely, but their home was destroyed and they lost everything.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Two of the greatest things on earth are in the video in the link. Puppies and the laughter of a child.

If you need a smile, or just want to, watch.

Little Boy Can't Stop Giggling as Four Puppies Shower Him With Love (WATCH)

Is this what heaven feels like—puppy love?

This adorable video shows a little boy in stitches as four golden retriever puppies shower him with a puppy-bomb of affection.

The four-year-old can’t stop giggling as the pack of nine-week-old puppies jump on him until the laughing toddler is helpless to get up.

The boy’s 28-year-old mom, Kristine Koroleva, gets to see a similar site almost every day in their home in Charlotte, North Carolina.

“It happens almost daily,” she said.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I love this story so much. This is a truly special dog doing special things.

Dog Repeatedly Escapes Shelter, Sneaks Into Nursing Home

Do we choose our pets or do they choose us?

The staff at Meadow Brook Medical Care Facility in Bellaire, Michigan believe they choose us - and they have good reason to.

Meet Scout.

In 2017, Scout escaped the Antrim County Animal Shelter three times. Each time he escaped the shelter he was found asleep on the couch in the front lobby of Meadow Brook Medical Care Facility.

After the third time, employees decided to adopt him.

"I'm a person who looks at outward signs," said Marna Robertson, Meadow Brook Administrator. "He did that one time, two times, three times, and obviously that's something that you should pay attention to. And I asked the staff, 'Well, he wants to be here. Would anybody like to have a dog?'"

The residents loved him right from the start. Scout walks the halls freely and has even learned to open doors on his own.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Hero Dog Swims Through Flood Waters To Rescue Stranded Sheep

Today's good news story comes from Wales.

A heroic sheepdog became the beacon of hope for three stranded ewes as it swam across treacherous flooded fields to guide them to safety.

Llyr Derwydd, a 44-year-old farmer hailing from the vicinity of Ruthin, found himself in a precarious situation on a fateful Friday afternoon. While conducting a routine check on his sheep in Flintshire, he stumbled upon a heart-wrenching sight – three ewes helplessly stranded on a diminishing piece of land within the field, cut off by the encroaching floodwaters.

Given the perilous conditions that the rising waters posed, it was clear that a rescue mission required a special hero. In this critical moment, that hero turned out to be none other than the quick-thinking sheepdog, Patsy.

Mr. Derwydd recounted the nerve-wracking experience, stating, "We realized we needed to act swiftly to ensure the safety of the stranded ewes. The small piece of land they were on was dwindling rapidly, and the peril was increasing."

In a courageous attempt to rescue the ewes, he made an audacious decision. With a sense of urgency in the air, he contemplated whether Patsy, his loyal sheepdog, would rise to the occasion. A silent command was issued, and Patsy, with unwavering determination, took the plunge.

It was a moment fraught with danger, as the true depth of the water remained unknown. Yet, Patsy's innate swimming abilities and strong resolve propelled her forward. Without hesitation, she braved the hazardous waters to reach the stranded ewes.
            Video of the puppers in action in the link.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

This dog saves the day, and perhaps the life, of one of his humans.

A Teenager Was Having a Stroke but His Dog Helped Save Him, Explains Doctor

From the Washington Post comes the story of a family border collie whose 5:30 a.m. wake-up call saved the future, and possibly the life, of a family member.

Daines and Amanda were woken up by their dog Axel early on a Saturday morning in their home in Spring, Texas, and they couldn’t remember a time when he so desperately wanted to go outside, or so they thought.

However, once taken downstairs by Daines, Axel began frantically clawing at the bedroom door of Amanda’s son Gabriel. Inside, Gabriel was already awake—because he was having a stroke on the left side of his brain.

The 17-year-old Gabriel had had a headache early in the day he remembered, but it went away shortly after posing for his senior year school pictures in a black suit and bowtie. Coming home, he played some video games and then went to sleep, but woke up around 5:00, walked into the living room, felt he couldn’t move his right arm, fell over, watched the objects in the room seem to magnify, and decided to go back to sleep.

Daines, upon hearing some of this from a visibly befuddled Gabriel with slurred speech, rushed him to a Memorial Hermann Health System hospital in Houston where at approximately 6:30 a.m., doctors informed the family Gabriel was having a stroke after a blood vessel broke in his brain and cut off oxygen to millions of neurons.

“It’s amazing how adamant a dog was knowing something’s going on,” said Sabih Effendi, a neurosurgeon who treated Gabriel, and who told the family that if Axel hadn’t intervened when he did, Gabriel might have been mute, wheelchair-bound, or worse.

As it has happened, Gabriel’s physical, speech, and behavioral therapy has restored much of his previous abilities. The goalkeeper for his high school soccer team regained his ability to walk, use his right arm to play his Nintendo Switch, talk clearly, and complete algebra problems on his laptop.
              Dogs have been known to detect changes in the human body. Usually I think we hear about cancer, but I know some have been trained for seizures and diabetes and such. I think I've previously shared one where a dog seemed to know that its human needed a new liver and found her a match while they were out on some beach I believe.

They're magnificent creatures.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Dog Leads Owner To Lost Cat Trapped 100 Feet Down Mine Shaft

In a heartwarming tale of rescue and loyalty, a fortunate feline was saved by a team of dedicated firefighters in Cornwall, thanks to an intuitive canine companion.

Mowgli, a beloved cat, had gone missing for six long days, leaving his owner, Michele Rose, fraught with worry and nearly resigned to the idea of never seeing her pet again. However, hope was rekindled when she noticed her dog, Daisy, "going berserk", darting in and out of the nearby woods around their home in Harrowbarrow.

Daisy guided her along a footpath leading to the old mine workings of the Prince of Wales. She came to a sudden halt next to a deep mineshaft.

"Daisy is a superstar; she's an amazing dog," Rose told the BBC. "Without Daisy's instincts, Mowgli might still be trapped down there. She was relentless in leading me to that spot; it was truly remarkable."

Following the dramatic discovery, the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) and Cornwall Fire and Rescue were alerted to the situation.

They team spotted Mowgli about 100ft down and he was pulled to safety. The cat was remarkably uninjured.

Rose said Daisy shares a strong bond with both of her cats, Mowgli and Baloo.

"Daisy was already a year old when the kittens arrived, and they have been inseparable ever since," she said. "She is quite matriarchal, looking out for them, and they adore her while she remains fiercely protective of them."
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Jack Russell Pup Becomes Surrogate Mom to Six Abandoned Kittens, Feeding Them with Her Own Milk

A devoted Jack Russell terrier has become an unlikely mum to six abandoned kittens—and is even producing milk for them.

Two-year-old Teasel stepped up when owner Sue Stubley took in the kittens from a neighbor, after they were abandoned by their own mother.

She quickly embraced her newfound role and for the next three weeks Teasel was cleaning, snuggling, and nursing the kitties.

Initially, Sue didn’t want to let the dog anywhere near the kittens.

“I was scared she was going to go for them,” said Sue, who runs the Suffolk Hedgehog Hospital.

“I was letting her sniff them and then she licked one of them. Then I realized she actually just wanted to cuddle them, rather than maim them.”

Now she’s looking after them completely. “It’s amazing.”

When Sue volunteered to care for the abandoned kittens, no one guessed that her pet would do most of the heavy lifting.

Despite having never birthed puppies before, Teasel began to lactate, after the babies began suckling on her—and Sue shared the moments on Facebook.
                  There are a few pics of Teasel and the kittens in the link.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Loyalty to the very end. That's what dogs give us.

Dog Miraculously Survives 72 Days Alone In Colorado Mountains After Owner's Death

A faithful Jack Russell Terrier named Finney has defied the odds, enduring 72 days alone in the Colorado mountains after his owner tragically succumbed to hypothermia.

Finney was found by his late owner's side.

Rich Moore, a 71-year-old resident of Pagosa Springs, Colorado, embarked on a hiking adventure with his Jack Russell terrier, Finney, on August 19, aiming to conquer Blackhead Peak. Unfortunately, he never returned home, triggering a days-long search spanning from the peak to his parked vehicle, but with no success.

The distressing search came to an end when a hunter discovered Moore's body and a fiercely protective Finney in the San Juan Mountains of southwestern Colorado on October 30.

Moore, who was an experienced hiker, died of hypothermia, Archuleta County Coroner Brad Hunt said. Hypothermia can cause people to become disoriented and confused.

But tiny Finney somehow survived, likely by hunting small animals such as mice while also managing to avoid predators like mountain lions, coyotes and bears, Delinda VanneBrightyn with Taos Search and Rescue said.

"If that dog could talk it would be an amazing story," she said. "We probably could not even believe the story the dog would tell."
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

So resilient. Been through hell and still just wants to love.

Abused and Stuck in Shelter for 450 Days 'Mind-blowing' Dog Charms Everyone at Rehab and Finds Forever Home

Ali Paepke had very little hope that a dog named Neo would be able to fit in at her rehabilitation center.

The poor pooch had been in a shelter for over a year—more than 450 days, and was part of an ongoing animal abuse trial, which Paepke said typically creates an animal that’s difficult—and in many cases impossible—to rehabilitate into gentle domestic life.

But as soon as she saw the white pooch with black spots, the Manager for the Life-Saving Program at Best Friends Pet Resource Center said she was “blown away.”

“To meet a dog who had been through all of that who just immediately trusted you and immediately wanted attention from you was just mind-blowing… Neo was that one that I was like, ‘Oh my gosh, we’re making a difference,’” said Paepke.

Neo was a victim of severe animal abuse, but it wasn’t long after arriving at Best Friends’ location in Central Arkansas that a forever home was finally in sight.

There's a news clip at the bottom of the article if interested.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

The wife found a quote. A dog we love for his/her short life but they love us their WHOLE life

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                          The wife found a quote. A dog we love for his/her short life but they love us their WHOLE life
                          Not necessarily. We still have pictures by the fireplace, on the refrigerator, on a bookshelf of all three of our "best friends" and think of them still. But I get what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Not necessarily. We still have pictures by the fireplace, on the refrigerator, on a bookshelf of all three of our "best friends" and think of them still. But I get what you mean.
                            That's a good point. I've lost two in the last three years and have a digital frame that cycles through hundreds of pictures. Stirs up a lot of memories and emotions.

Each one takes a little piece of our heart for eternity.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Hero Dog Wakes Up Owners After Sensing Fire Across Street: 'Bark was Unlike' Any Heard Before

In Arlington, Washington state, a hero dog changed his tune and alerted her owners to a fire consuming their neighbor’s house.

It was 3:00 a.m. and a fire was quietly burning the workshop of a nearby North County home. Nearby, Douglas O’Connor II was sleeping soundly in a house across the road, when he was awakened by the sound of his dog, Lucy.

“Normally, I just yell at her to go to sleep, you know?” said O’Connor, remembering a hundred instances of waking up to his dog barking.

But he said this was a type of bark that he’d never heard before from Lucy.

“Loud, screaming-type bark. It was totally different than her just barking at a usual, usual bark. It was totally—woke us both up. Something’s wrong. Wow. She was trying to tell us something.'”

O’Connor’s wife went to investigate the Australian Shepherd-Labrador mix’s alarm and saw the fire out of the window. They called 911 and firefighters arrived to contain and eventually kill off the blaze before it spread from the detached workshop to the home where the owner was still asleep by the time the engine arrived.
                              Firefighters said another 10 minutes and it probably reaches the house. The detached building was only a few feet from the home.

There's a 90 second news clip at the end of the article if interested.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Teenager Saved By Faithful Dog Amidst New Year's Eve Blaze

Today's good news story comes from Safety Harbor, Florida.

On New Year's Eve a teenager narrowly escaped a devastating house fire, all thanks to the heroic actions of the family dog, Macho.

Nicole Evans, a single mom, received the distressing call while out of town, learning that her house was engulfed in flames. Macho, sensing imminent danger, sprang into action and woke up Nicole's teenage son, Griffin, around 5:30 a.m., alerting him to the fire.

"He just kept going at him and then he just gave him a nip, a couple of them, and woke him up. And Griffin said, 'What's happening?'. And as soon as he turned around, there was just no doubt he had to go. He had to go quickly," Nicole told WFLA.

"It was probably the worst experience of my life to not be with the person you love the most while something's happening to them that you can't do something about," she added.

While the cause of the fire is still under investigation, the family is left with a total loss of their home. Despite the material losses, Nicole emphasized the irreplaceable value of Macho's quick thinking and loyalty.

"All those things are just things, and some of those things do matter. They do, but in the end, it's all replaceable. He's not replaceable, my dog is not replaceable, and I wouldn't have wanted it to have resulted in anything other than this," she expressed.

In the face of adversity, the community has rallied around the Evans family, setting up a GoFundMe to aid in their recovery.
                                There's a clip from the local news at the bottom of the article.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X