X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have had many dogs. The best breed are random, rescue. Same for cats

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
      One thing that pisses me off about Wichita and the metro is the fact there are no advanced diagnostic or surgical facilities here. An area of 500k people and I am having to take my dog to Manhattan or Stillwater? By the time you get an appointment, the poor thing could have deteriorated past the point of recovery. These vet clinics that call themselves hospitals are stretching it.
      Those are tied to major vet med universities. Wichita is not. If you want a major vet med university, you have to show buy in by an extensive sheep colon exam program.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

Those are tied to major vet med universities. Wichita is not. If you want a major vet med university, you have to show buy in by an extensive sheep colon exam program.
        I realize that sheep colon exam buy in is a deal breaker but it’s outrageous that there are no local alternatives either for profit or not for profit. They could always open a K State Vet school branch here like KU Med did.

Comment

I realize that sheep colon exam buy in is a deal breaker but it’s outrageous that there are no local alternatives either for profit or not for profit. They could always open a K State Vet school branch here like KU Med did.
          I think you are going to find fewer of those services available in most major US cities than you would think. People in general are not willing to shell out the money needed for extensive diagnostics to: A. save their family pet, and B. sustain these services as a going concern.

There are some that will bankrupt the family trust for their dog, but the vast majority won't. With that, blood gets drawn and some diagnostics are done locally, but less routine diagnostics are outsourced.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

I think you are going to find fewer of those services available in most major US cities than you would think. People in general are not willing to shell out the money needed for extensive diagnostics to: A. save their family pet, and B. sustain these services as a going concern.

There are some that will bankrupt the family trust for their dog, but the vast majority won't. With that, blood gets drawn and some diagnostics are done locally, but less routine diagnostics are outsourced.
            Heartless bastards!

Comment

I've had several different breeds over the years. Some I had to rehome due to issues. The best has been a lab/pit mix. That was the best dog I have ever been around. But unfortunately got bone cancer at 3 yrs old. Ive never tried to get another, because it just wouldn't be the same. I had a Cane Corso. That dog was way too smart for her own good and an escape artist. She dug out by moving rather large rocks and our Daniff followed. The Daniff got shot by someone and it was time to find a new home.

Comment

We have two border collies now. Our last dog was a beagle. Beagles are great but they are nasty too. Will eat anything up to and including the ass end of a menstruating skunk.

Comment

Why ruin a perfectly good lab by making half of it a poodle?
                  I've got a #1 and #5 combo (Labradoodle) and he's the best fricking dog I have ever owned. The best traits of both and so smart. Not sure I will ever own a different breed than this.

Comment

I've said it before and I will continue to say it forever, but we don't deserve dogs.

A 'True Lassie' Helped a Rescue Team Find his Owner Who Fell 70 Feet in Tahoe Forest

A Nevada man may owe his life to the intelligence of his border collie after the real-world “Lassie” led search and rescue to him.

The man had fallen 70 feet down a steep slope in the Tahoe Forest, breaking his hip and some ribs. The next day he managed to crawl his way to a patch of cell service and call for help.

Search and Rescue pinged the location of his last call, while a friend of the victim told the searchers “look for Saul.”

That advice paid off when, scouring the remote country, the searchers came upon a black and white border collie jumping up and down and spinning around in circles.

Saul had run about 200 yards away through the woods to find the Search and Rescue team, and as sure as Lassie, led them to his owner who had erected a little shelter under a camouflage tarp.
                    Almost put this in the Sliver of Hope thread, but dogs deserve their own recognition.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Who wants another good dog story?

Stray Dog Crashes Couple's Wedding - and Becomes A Part of Their Family

Douglas Robert and Tamíris Muzini were ready for their big day, when they would commit to celebrating happily ever after together, but Tamíris didn’t know there was someone else.

As the blushing bride arrived at the church, she noticed a wedding crasher had come by—a stray blonde dog that was mingling gently with guests.

Not putting paw nor tail out of place, the ceremony eventually commenced with the dog sitting down by the doorway to watch, as if he knew what was happening.

After it was all said and kissed, the beautiful couple made for the exit. That’s when the dog suddenly became excited.

“When he greeted us at the end, he asked: ‘Take me home. Take me,'” Muzini told The Dodo.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

First Study to Show Dogs Cry 'Happy Tears' When Reunited With Their Owners

It’s well known that dogs have tear ducts designed to flush dirt from their eyes, but the process had never been linked with emotion—until now.

Professor Takefumi Kikusui decided to investigate after his poodle had puppies and he noticed the dog’s face changed when it nursed the babies. It had tears in its eyes.

That gave him the idea that oxytocin might be causing the watery flood—and dogs, like humans, may produce tears when they are flooded with emotion.

Oxytocin is known as the maternal or “love hormone” and he knew from earlier observations that oxytocin is released in both dogs and their owners during interactions. So, he decided to run an experiment to see if it brought dogs to tears.

Prof. Kikusui, of Azabu University in Japan, used a standard test to measure dogs’ baseline tear volume before reuniting with their owners. They found the volume indeed went up by 10% when the animals got back together with their favorite human. It did not increase when it was a person they didn’t know well.
                        Just further proof of why dogs are so much better than everything else.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

My Rescue Dog Saved Me By Sniffing Out My Cancer

They adopted Brody—whose Newfoundland breed is well-known for lifesaving due to their swimming abilities and intelligence—from a family who could no longer look after him.

Lucy, of Oxon, said he started to “sniff and nuzzle” at her right armpit.

“It was mostly when I was sat down, so either watching TV or sitting down for a rest and always in the same spot on my right side.”

“At first, I thought it was him wanting a bit of fuss and attention but I decided that I should perhaps take notice as it was just my right side he would do this.”

She examined herself and, sure enough, felt a lump there—and soon after was diagnosed with breast cancer.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I can't imagine going through this.

Watch the Moment a Dog is Rescued by Volunteers After 26 Hours Down an Old Mine Shaft

A dog has been rescued by volunteers after spending over 26 hours down an old mining shaft.

Suka the terrier, went missing on Sunday while out for a walk with her owner Ben Weston near St Ives, Cornwall.

She wasn’t on a leash and ran off into the woods. When she never returned, her owners searched for her into the night and Monday morning.

Eventually, they came across an deep hole, and could hear their poor pup whimpering from inside.

An intense video filmed by Carbis Bay Crew, a volunteer group of cavers, divers, mine explorers and climbers, shows the extraordinary operation in action.

“The fire brigade turned up first and then we did five minutes later,” Sam Perkin’s, a member of Carbis Bay Crew who was present at the rescue. “They assessed the situation and couldn’t pick up any signs of life, so couldn’t commit to sending anyone down.”

“But as soon as they left, we could hear the dog yipping again—so I called up some other members to help get her out.”
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Cute Dog Walking Around Golf Course has Collected 6,000 Lost Golf Balls Which Are Donated to Charities

An eagle-eyed pooch has become an expert at finding lost golf balls in London, so much so that he’s helping provide golf charities with the balls they need to teach kids around the world.

Charles Jefferson must have felt he hit a hole-in-one when one day his dog, a cavapoo named Marlo, emerged from the bushes with a pristine tour-grade ball on the puppy’s first visit to a local London golf course.

Jefferson, a top-level amateur golfer for four decades who used to work with the European Tour, realized that a retrieved mint condition Titleist Pro V1 retails for around £3.50, and that his Marlo might have a unique ability for finding lost balls.

He spent the next six years walking up and down courses with Marlo, watching and chatting, and getting out in the open air.

Between Mitcham Golf Club and Wimbledon Common Golf Club, Mr. Jefferson and Marlo filled dresser drawers with golf balls, but rather than a single instance of selling around 600 to a mate, he never had any interest with the “retrieval market” a cottage industry that’s cropped up around recovering golf balls.

As an advertising and branding agent, Jefferson leapt at the chance to turn Marlo’s abilities into a force for good after he heard of a donation drive to promote the prevention of litter from lost golf balls.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Dogs are amazing and resilient creatures.

Sheep Dog is Still Rounding Up Animals Like a Boss Despite Losing His Leg After Accident-WATCH

A sheep herding dog is still running circles around his favorite animals despite losing a leg this summer.

The border collie named Boss went missing in July while out working, rounding up sheep, and despite an extensive search—even using a drone—the pooch was nowhere to be seen.

Shepherdess Anna MacKinnon was sick with worry until eight days later when her father spotted Boss limping over a hill on their farm outside Perth, in Scotland.

“My dad was like, ‘oh my goodness, that’s Boss’,” Anna told SWNS news. “I couldn’t believe it—I was shaking.”

The four-year-old dog had nerve damage to his front left leg, and after six weeks of vet consultations and waiting to see if it would improve, Anna made the difficult decision to allow vets to amputate.

“It just seemed so drastic, but we knew it was the only thing that was going to be the best for him,” said the 25 year old.

She feared Boss would have to retire as a working sheepdog—but just three weeks after the dog’s stitches were removed at the end of September, Boss was out chasing sheep again.
                                I sometimes wish I had the optimistic and positive outlook on almost everything that it generally seems like our canine friends do.

I think I'm going to go home after work and hug my little sheepdogs a little tighter. I'd be a mess without them.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X