Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SubGod22
    replied
    This makes me happy. She was fairly well known around here in the music scene prior to the accident and it's good to see her continuing her career the best she can and returning to Wichita to raise funds for others.

KMUW - Jenny Wood returns to Wichita for weekend performance

In 2019, musician Jenny Wood was nearly killed in a car accident in which both her mother and niece died.

Although Wood survived, she endured a difficult recovery process and still suffers from grand mal seizures, which, she says, could prove fatal.

Wood, who relocated to Nashville a few years ago, will return to her former hometown on Saturday, May 18, for Jenny Woodstock. The event will raise funds for the Salvation Army and The Lord's Diner. It begins at 5 p.m. at Naftzger Park.

Wood will perform with Nashville musicians Amoretta Layne and Rob Stewart as The Wooden Lovers on a bill that also features The Cavves, Citadel Bucket Brigade, and Jenny Wood and The Watchers with other special guests slated to join.

Wood has spent her time in Nashville writing and performing music while also volunteering at a food bank in East Nashville. She recently spoke with KMUW about her life there and why she's eager to help the Wichita community.

This interview has been edited for clarity and length.

You've been living in Nashville for a while now, and I wonder what your life is like there.

I'm always with the East Nashville food bank, and I've been there since I moved here. That has changed my life, myperspective. I'm very grateful for the co-volunteers and my bandmates. I've been with them since I've been here, too. Everything's kind of stable and set. Of course, my grand mal seizures happen. I can't really go up and down stairs very well [or] balance. I have to do things differently now. That's OK.

Yes, I live in Nashville and am staying here, but what I am able to do is continue my lifestyle with the food bank, with my bandmates and take all that I'm learning here and take that back to Wichita. Wichita saved my life. The community did. It's my job to go back and celebrate and try to make people feel better or do anything I can to try to give back to them for all that they did for me.
    If you have the opportunity to make it out to Naftzger Park, go and support Jenny as well as The Lord's Diner. The woman has been through a lot and still seems to have a loving and caring heart.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    Local company growing.

WBJ - Lee Aerospace will invest $2M in Wichita expansion, acquires California plastics fabricator

Lee Aerospace, a supplier of aviation manufacturing parts, plans to invest $2 million for a renovation and new equipment at its northeast Wichita headquarters.

Located near 34th Street and Webb Road, the project will add a new clean room, layup room and a sputter chamber used to apply thin layers of material to aircraft windows — including $1 million in property improvements and $1 million in new machinery, according to a city of Wichita report.

"That particular expansion is to increase production on CoolView and other heated aircraft transparencies," said Jim Lee, who is president of Lee Aerospace, in an interview.
    ​.....
    The company employs about 150 employees in Wichita, and plans to add 15 new employees over the next five years with wages of $54,000 annually because of the renovation project.

"Additional hiring will happen in the months to come after completion of the project," Lee said, adding that he expects the improvements to finish in August.

Lee Aerospace is growing in other ways, too.

The company completed an acquisition May 8 of the California-based Llamas Plastics, a plastic fabrication company that serves military, commercial and space exploration, including the F18, F15 and V22 — "all types of different military applications," Lee said.

"It extends our capabilities in the aerospace transparency market," he said.

Terms of the acquisition deal were not disclosed.

Lee also said he expects "more expansion in the future" at Lee Aerospace.

Leave a comment:

• Kung Wu
    replied
    Originally posted by Shockm View Post
    Ransomware group called ‘most prolific and destructive’ claims credit for Wichita attack

Wichita’s government operations appear to have been disrupted by a Russian hacker group, according to Eagle research and a cyber threat analyst. A notorious Russian cybercriminal group — LockBit — is claiming credit for the attack on the most populous city in Kansas. A dark web listing flagged by cyber threat analyst Brett Callow indicates LockBit is prepared to post the city’s data for other hackers if a ransom is not paid. LockBit’s demands are unclear. Wichita officials would not confirm whether LockBit or any other group has contacted the city about a ransom. The group is known to ask for multimillion dollar payouts in BitCoin, according to a federal indictment unsealed Tuesday.

Wichita's city government is currently shut down. A Russian organized crime group is asking for millions to release our city, but if you read the article, that won't totally release Wichita from future difficulties because they copy and keep the files. Lockbit is trying to extort money from the City of Wichita. They have been involved in extorting hundreds of millions from government entities throughout the United States.

This is one time that I would be in favor of assassination from our federal government. Send in the "Seals". We got Bin Laden. Let's go get some Russians.

https://www.kansas.com/news/politics...288397380.html
    wichita.gov is STILL down.

shoxlax what is the word on the street on this disaster?

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    KWCH - Wichita anticipating economic benefit from new biomedical campus

Construction on the new campus is happening at Broadway and Topeka.

It will house Wichita State University’s College of Health Professionals and Speech and Language Clinic, WSU Tech’s Healthcare programs and the Wichita campus of KU School of Medicine and Pharmacy. This campus will lead to roughly 15,000 jobs.

“Post-COVID, we had a lot of people that exited this workforce, and we have a demand for filling those spaces,” said Jeremy Hill, Director of the Center for Economic Development and Business Research at Wichita State University.

“Does this help improve that supply? Absolutely.”

WSU, WSU Tech, and KU School of Medicine aim to partner and help the Kansas healthcare system. The campus is also expected to add more vibrancy to downtown.

“I’ve seen in other towns, like Savannah, you could see increased foot traffic,” said Hill. “That increases safety, and brings more people, and enhances a lot of quality amenities and creates a dynamic community.”

The campus will also help the economy grow as it’s estimated to bring roughly $60 million to the area.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    FYI for your Saturday travels.

KAKE - Two ramps at I-135 at K-96 to close this Saturday

The Kansas Department of Transportation says the ramp from southbound I-135 to eastbound K-96 and the ramp from westbound K-96 to northbound I-135 will be closed part of the day on Saturday, May 11.

The closures, beginning at 7 a.m., are so crews can remove a crane and concrete safety barriers. Detour signs will help guide drivers to alternate routes during the closure, which is expected to be completed Saturday afternoon.

KDOT urges drivers to be alert and obey warning signs when approaching and driving through highway work zones. You can check road conditions and closures by calling 511 or visiting KanDrive.org.

Leave a comment:

• WuDrWu
    replied
    We gotta a guy there.

Leave a comment:

• Kung Wu
    replied
    Originally posted by Shockm View Post
    Ransomware group called ‘most prolific and destructive’ claims credit for Wichita attack

Wichita’s government operations appear to have been disrupted by a Russian hacker group, according to Eagle research and a cyber threat analyst. A notorious Russian cybercriminal group — LockBit — is claiming credit for the attack on the most populous city in Kansas. A dark web listing flagged by cyber threat analyst Brett Callow indicates LockBit is prepared to post the city’s data for other hackers if a ransom is not paid. LockBit’s demands are unclear. Wichita officials would not confirm whether LockBit or any other group has contacted the city about a ransom. The group is known to ask for multimillion dollar payouts in BitCoin, according to a federal indictment unsealed Tuesday.

Wichita's city government is currently shut down. A Russian organized crime group is asking for millions to release our city, but if you read the article, that won't totally release Wichita from future difficulties because they copy and keep the files. Lockbit is trying to extort money from the City of Wichita. They have been involved in extorting hundreds of millions from government entities throughout the United States.

This is one time that I would be in favor of assassination from our federal government. Send in the "Seals". We got Bin Laden. Let's go get some Russians.

https://www.kansas.com/news/politics...288397380.html
    This has been affecting me the last several days as wichita.gov has been down for several days and I can't get some business done.

Yup, time to send in some mercs.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    KSN - USA Boxing National Junior Olympics and Summer Festival coming to Wichita in June

USA Boxing National Junior Olympics and Summer Festival is coming to Wichita from June 24 through June 29 at Century II Performing Arts & Convention Center, 225 W. Douglas Ave.

Opening Ceremonies will be on Sunday, June 23. Competitions will begin on June 24, with finals on June 29.

Visit Wichita is hosting the event again after hosting it in 2022.

“Expect to see the nation’s best up-and-coming boxers take to the ring in one of the oldest and most historic USA Boxing national tournament that has seen numerous Olympic medalists, such as Wichita native Nico Hernandez, an IBA Flyweight World Title holder, 2016 Olympic Bronze medalist and winner of the 2012 and 2013 National Junior Olympics,” said Visit Wichita.
    Always good to see Wichita continue to get events like these.

Leave a comment:

• Shockm
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    Nice addition to Riverfront Stadium

Eagle - A tiny replica of Old Town's popular Pumphouse will make its Wichita debut tonight

The big Pumphouse — the Old Town bar at 825 E. Second St. that draws big weekend crowds — has been around for 18 years.

But now, it has a tiny little sibling — and crowds who attend tonight’s Wind Surge game vs. the Arkansas Travelers at Riverfront Stadium, 275 S. McLean Blvd., will be the first to meet it.

Pumphouse is the new sponsor of a little standalone bar near left field at the stadium, which until now has had no particular identity. Now, though, it’s been rebranded by Pumphouse and looks like an itty bitty version of the original, complete with signage and decorative antique gas pumps. Before the season is over, the miniature Pumhouse will also have a miniature Pumphouse patio reminiscent of the bar’s outdoor space in Old Town.

To be clear, said manager Daron Adelgren, the new ball field bar is not a second location of Pumphouse. The bar doesn’t own the space, which since Riverfront Stadium opened in 2021 has been a nondescript and underutilized little building serving micro beers and other adult beverages. It’s just sponsoring it.
    Adding a little character is a nice touch.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    KNSS - Med school will bring a "generational opportunity" to Wichita

Dignitaries will break ground for the new KU/WSU Biomed School in downtown Wichita Wednesday morning. Sedgwick County Commission Chair Ryan Baty tells KNSS News a 300 million-dollar school is planned at Douglas and Broadway. Baty says the school will bring 3,000 students to downtown Wichita, creating a "medical corridor". Baty says he's thinking about "the energy and the vibe" it will bring to the city. He calls it a "generational opportunity"

The City of Wichita and Sedgwick County are moving ahead on planning for a new state psychiatric mental facility at Meridian and MacArthur. Commissioner Ryan Baty says "we've progressed in moving this thing forward". He says the hospital should be open by the end of 2026.

Baty commented during his weekly visit with Steve and Ted in the Morning on KNSS.
    It begins.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    WBJ - East Wichita affordable housing complex cleared for construction

Eleven building permits totaling more than $41.7 million have been issued for the 240-unit affordable housing complex planned near Douglas Avenue and 127th Street — where I-35 and K-96 intersect in east Wichita.

The Annex Group, an Indianapolis multifamily developer, has said its Union at Purple Heart Trail complex will have two four-story buildings in a project originally estimated at $49 million.

Constructed was expected to start in April — pushed back five months — and be completed by early 2026.
    I remember when there was almost nothing in that area, now there's a lot that's been built and I don't remember when it started.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    KSN - 'Wheel of Fortune LIVE!' coming to Wichita

One of America’s most popular game shows is coming to a Wichita stage. “Wheel of Fortune LIVE!” is a stage version of the game. It will be at Wichita’s Orpheum Theatre on Tuesday, Oct. 29.

The live stage show is the only way fans can experience the game in person outside of Sony Pictures Studios. Tickets range from $26.50 to $71.50 and go on sale at 10 a.m. this Friday, May 10. Buy tickets through SelectASeat.com or by calling 316-755-SEAT or in person at the Select-A-Seat Box Office at Intrust Bank Arena.

During the show, the game will be played “tournament-style.” Multiple groups of three randomly selected contestants will play Wheel of Fortune on stage with a full-sized replica of the iconic wheel.
    Pretty cool for WoF fans.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    Three decades later, a business returns to Andover.

WBJ - Livingston's Cafe returns to Andover this year at new Heritage development

After a tornado took out their business in the early 1990s, Livingston's Cafe owner Melissa Atkinson said she had always wanted to return to Andover.

More than three decades later, the family-owned business is headed back to the suburb this fall in 53,000 square feet of commercial space at Heritage Square.

Heritage Square is part of a 103-acre, mixed-used development called The Heritage, which started construction in 2022. The development, located on the west side of Yorktown Road between U.S. 54 and Douglas Avenue, is in various stages of development with two residential communities, six acres of community green space and about 340,000 square feet of commercial space for retail shops, restaurants and offices in four buildings.

Livingston's Cafe, a family-owned breakfast and diner business that began in Wichita in 1910 — will reside in the development's third building linked to the square. It will be located below the completed SkyLofts apartments, a 186-unit complex on the third through fifth floors.
    It'll be nice to have another breakfast option in Andover.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    WBJ - Denver developer plans $20 million in Wichita low-income housing downtown

Another historic downtown Wichita building could be set for new life — while helping address the city's need for more affordable housing.

Sam Edelson, a Denver real estate developer and investor, is advancing plans to convert the five-story Landmark Square building at 212 N. Market into a 74-unit, low-income residential community.

On Tuesday, Edelson's 212 N. Market St. LLC will ask the Wichita City Council for a letter of intent for the city to issue up to $21 million in industrial revenue bonds to help finance the project's construction costs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X