X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kung Wu
    replied
    Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Be sure to check out the 8 Wonders by category in the Navigation panel on the right side of the page:
    Kansas Architecture, Kansas Art, Kansas Commerce, Kansas Cuisine, Kansas Customs, Kansas Geography, Kansas History and Kansas People
    Ah, I did miss those.

The first "icon" that popped in my brain was "wheat", but my wife said "sunflower". Then WstateU posts a picture of a Sunflower field. And SubGod22 mentioned sunflowers.

Cowboy boots and hats also come to mind. Also tractors and ball caps.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    When I think of Kansas I don't really think of anything in particular. It's all about the wide open spaces and skies and sunrises and sunsets. The clear and peaceful night skies where you can see a billion stars. And while I've never actually see one, my mind pictures an image of fields of nothing but sunflowers.

Outside of that I love driving/riding through the Flint Hills. I'm not sure Kansas has anything man made that stands out as 'oh, that's Kansas'.

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Pretty cool. What are the top three "icons" or "images" that come to mind when you think of Kansas?
    Be sure to check out the 8 Wonders by category in the Navigation panel on the right side of the page:
    Kansas Architecture, Kansas Art, Kansas Commerce, Kansas Cuisine, Kansas Customs, Kansas Geography, Kansas History and Kansas People

Leave a comment:

• WstateU
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Kung Wu
    replied
    Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Hard to beat the Kansas Sampler Foundation for information on Kansas places.

Of the 24 places listed on this web page I have visited 18.
    Pretty cool. What are the top three "icons" or "images" that come to mind when you think of Kansas?

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

This is helping me with a project I am working on. What about Kansas instead of Wichita?
    Hard to beat the Kansas Sampler Foundation for information on Kansas places.

Of the 24 places listed on this web page I have visited 18.

Leave a comment:

• Kung Wu
    replied
    Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Keeper - 1
    Century II - 2
    This is helping me with a project I am working on. What about Kansas instead of Wichita?

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    New cuteness at SCZ

KWCH - Sedgwick County Zoo welcomes red panda

A trade of red panda’s with Garden City’s Lee Richardson Zoo didn’t make the Sedgwick County Zoo any less cute.

While bidding farewell to Ravi, who came to SCZ in 2000, Wichita’s zoo welcomed a new red panda, 3-year-old CJ, from Lee Richardson. CJ will turn 4 in August and came to Wichita while the zoo’s Big Cat Trek was under construction. The zoo said it’s eager for its female resident, Sunsari, to join him. The two have already been introduced off-exhibit.

This switch was guided by the Species Survival Plan (SSP), which aims for the best genetic pairings to ensure healthy, diverse populations of animals under human care. SSP’s recommendation for CJ and Ravi to switch places is a strategic move to pair experienced breeders with those less experienced – in this case, Ravi and Sunsari with CJ and Paprika. The goal is to support two successful breeding pairs, contributing to the conservation of their species.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    New leadership coming to Downtown Wichita.

WBJ - Downtown Wichita hires Syracuse economic development veteran as next executive director

Downtown Wichita has its next executive director.

On Thursday, the affiliate of the Greater Wichita Partnership announced the hiring of Heather Schroeder — who has most recently served as deputy director and director of economic development for the Downtown Committee of Syracuse, Inc. in New York — to the position. She will also serve as executive vice president of the Partnership.

The move comes after Downtown Wichita executive vice president Jason Gregory announced late last year he would be stepping down from the role after nearly 13 years to pursue a career in real estate.

"I am thrilled to join the Downtown Wichita and Greater Wichita Partnership teams, and I am eager to work with the community to help position downtown Wichita as a world-class destination with opportunities for all," Schroeder said in a news release. "I am impressed by the private and public sector’s unwavering commitment to downtown vitality. Wichita is positioned for remarkable growth and I look forward to being a part of downtown's dynamic story."

Schroeder's first day on the job is set for Aug. 12.

In the position, Schroeder will oversee strategic initiatives focused on downtown Wichita's economic vitality, quality of life and cultural richness, the announcement said.

Schroeder spent nearly 9 years with Syracuse's Downtown Committee.

During that time, Downtown Wichita says she "secured and deployed millions of dollars for programs ranging from historic building improvements to downtown master planning and downtown activation projects."
    Hopefully she brings some fresh eyes and ideas to Downtown Wichita and we continue to see progress.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    KAKE - Wichita's self-service kayak rentals are 50% off this weekend

Wichita Mayor Lily Wu says self-service kayak rentals will be 50% off this weekend to celebrate the 50th birthday of the Keeper of the Plains.

Three stations with four kayaks at each are ready for rentals:
    • OJ Watson Park, 3022 S McLean Blvd - rentals are normally $10 per hour
    • Under the Kellogg Bridge, 605 S Wichita - rentals are normally $30 for 2 hours, then $15 per hour
    • Riverside Tennis Center, 551 Nims - rentals are normally $30 for 2 hours, then $15 per hour
    You can save 50% with the promo code "keeper50." The code is valid one user per person. Rentals include a life jacket, paddle and kayak and are facilitated through the Rent.Fun app.
    Click here for more information.

Leave a comment:

• WstateU
    replied
    Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    I still don't get the love affair some have with Century II. To me, it's just a large, antiquated building that serves very little value or purpose these days and just takes up space that could be better used and is a waste of money trying to put lipstick on that pig.
    I remember it being built in 1969. It's always been a Wichita icon to me. Although I see both sides of the argument, it's unique and historical and it's Wichita. Of course I have a passion for history and prefer to repurpose, versus tear down in most circumstances. I'm probably in the minority with my thinking. I wish we were more like Europe. Maybe they had better architects and materials.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    I still don't get the love affair some have with Century II. To me, it's just a large, antiquated building that serves very little value or purpose these days and just takes up space that could be better used and is a waste of money trying to put lipstick on that pig.

Leave a comment:

• WstateU
    replied
    Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    KWCH - Historic Keeper of the Plains marks 50th anniversary as beloved Wichita landmark

For me, when I think of the most iconic structure in Wichita, it's The Keeper.
    Keeper - 1
    Century II - 2

IMO, a couple of outstanding Wichita landmarks...

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    KWCH - Historic Keeper of the Plains marks 50th anniversary as beloved Wichita landmark

The historic Keeper of the Plains statue in Wichita marks its 50th anniversary this week. The iconic image stands above the city as a tribute to the land and its history.

“It’s a tribute to the first inhabitants of this land. It’s really an icon and a symbol of Wichita,” said the Board of Trustees Chairman for Wichita’s Mid-America All-Indian Center Dal Domebo.

At 44 feet tall, the steel sculpture stands as a symbol of pride and unity for the Wichita community. Domebo said “The Keeper” is a one-of-a-kind vision for the artist who brought it to life.

“Blackbear Bosin, most people don’t realize he wasn’t a sculptor,” Domebo said. “The Keeper of the Plains was the only sculpture that he made.”
    For me, when I think of the most iconic structure in Wichita, it's The Keeper.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    WBJ - First Tee Greater Wichita plans $1.8 million indoor learning center to better serve youth

A Wichita-based nonprofit plans to launch a new 6,000 square-foot facility poised to expand the organization's impact on area youth through the game of golf and beyond.

First Tee Greater Wichita, which provides educational programs, mentorship and golf instruction to kids ages 5 through 17, is targeting an August groundbreaking for the Indoor Youth Learning Center on the Steve Hatchett Youth Golf Campus near 13th Street and Hillside.

Located at MacDonald Golf Course, the center will feature four indoor/outdoor hitting bays, a multipurpose room — which can be used for putting, as well as youth events and mentoring — and a learning library for homework and tutoring.

Trent Jones, First Tee Greater Wichita executive director, said that with the organization serving many youth at or below the poverty line, he hopes the facility can help put at-risk kids "on a better life track than they may currently be on now."

"It's going to be a safe, year-round space for kids, who really find a passion within our First Tee curriculum and connect really well with our coaches, to come each day after school and during the summer months and just be really invested in," he said.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X