RIP Bob Dole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
    I honestly think the Conservatives fired the first salvo in the modern era political war. And it was done over immorality. Remember Ken Starr? We'd love to put that ammo back in the can if we could. But we terrorized a president that most of America looks back on as a decent, slightly left of center dude. And if you don't think Bill was decent, what on EARTH would you call Trump? I don't know the pathway back, but we've got to find a way to get politics back in the far corner of our lives. We have TOO many political talking heads. You can't get away from it. Even the late night talk show hosts traffic in the bile. It's ridiculous. I miss David Letterman (pre-woke) and Johnny Carson. :(
    Sooo, the first shot was fired by the “oppressed” members of the anti-uniparty. Once the laws changed, the conservatives took advantage of their opportunity to not be silenced.
    Livin the dream

Comment

First, as a fellow war vet, I admired Dole greatly. I also admired and agreed with almost
      everything politically with him early on in his career but not so much towards the end of
      it as he seemed to drift more and more in with the RINO crowd. Still, he was a great man.
      Looking at the political land scape today and you are in agreement with the policies of the
      current administration and the damage those policies are doing to our country all I can say
      is THERE is your reason for a divided country.
      Last edited by asiseeit; December 8, 2021, 07:43 PM.

Comment

I traveled in Europe alot during the Clinton debate & they thought it was odd we would make so much of a politician having an affair. I am not sure in the #metoo era that would still be true given the circumstances. But I said it was not the infidelity it was the Chief Law Official of the country lying under oath. Both the affair and lying under oath are deplorable, lying under oath is illegal and so fundamental to our judicial system. I think he should have been impeached, and not being convicted was probably the correct outcome.
        While our politicians don't dual any longer, I think the current support our parties candidate/office holder at any cost to truth & decency can be traced back to the way the political parties handled the Clinton issue.

Equally glad Trump is not our Pres and disappointed Biden is.

It seems we cannot find a candidate that is competent with integrity.

Never listened to Rush, stop watching Hannity when Colmes split.

BTW, I would recommend Dole's autobiography. Worth reading, especially about his younger days.

Comment

Mr. Dole gets in one last zing on his way out in farewell letter:

“As I make the final walk on my life’s journey, I do so without fear. Because I know that I will, again, not be walking alone. I know that God will be walking with me,” the late senator wrote. “I also confess that I’m a bit curious to learn and find if I am correct in thinking that heaven will look a lot like Kansas and to see, like others who have gone before me, if I will still be able to vote in Chicago.”

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

So the political divisiveness started with Clinton then. That is my take away. Bill, Hillary, Obumma, and SLeepy Joe have more or as much to do with the divide than Rush.
            Rush was just a symptom. It didn't start with just Clinton. It started with Clinton and Gingrich and a multitude of others from both sides.

When we fall into the trap of thinking only those from the other side of the political spectrum from us are to blame, then we've become part of the problem. THAT should be your takeaway.
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
              I honestly think the Conservatives fired the first salvo in the modern era political war. And it was done over immorality. Remember Ken Starr? We'd love to put that ammo back in the can if we could. But we terrorized a president that most of America looks back on as a decent, slightly left of center dude. And if you don't think Bill was decent, what on EARTH would you call Trump? I don't know the pathway back, but we've got to find a way to get politics back in the far corner of our lives. We have TOO many political talking heads. You can't get away from it. Even the late night talk show hosts traffic in the bile. It's ridiculous. I miss David Letterman (pre-woke) and Johnny Carson. :(
              On what planet was Clinton decent???

If you're comparing him only to Trump, himself a disgusting human being with a broken moral compass, then sure, maybe Clinton is decent.

But let's not whitewash Clinton's circus because Trump is the only person on the planet that can make him look like a choir boy.
              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by atlwsu View Post
                I traveled in Europe alot during the Clinton debate & they thought it was odd we would make so much of a politician having an affair. I am not sure in the #metoo era that would still be true given the circumstances. But I said it was not the infidelity it was the Chief Law Official of the country lying under oath. Both the affair and lying under oath are deplorable, lying under oath is illegal and so fundamental to our judicial system. I think he should have been impeached, and not being convicted was probably the correct outcome.
                While our politicians don't dual any longer, I think the current support our parties candidate/office holder at any cost to truth & decency can be traced back to the way the political parties handled the Clinton issue.
                Political lying and indecency in the ELITES class didn't begin in the 1990's, with Clinton, and Trump and Clinton may have more decency in them than you know. While there is no doubt in my mind that Trump, and Clinton both did a lot of people wrong, and used their power to decimate anyone who opposed them (almost all of Clinton was as a politician, and husband, etc. who ruined a lot of lives, while Trump was a businessman and husband who did a lot of bad things to enemies, friends, wives, etc.). People lied about them too (see the Russian impeachment hearings for Trump which have been totally discredited) which now is worse than in the past (see that we've had three Presidential impeachment hearings in the pas 25 years, two in the past 5 years, when you had to go back to the Civil War for the last impeachment prior) .

My biggest concern is that now, no one who goes to Washington doesn't become very rich, and corrupted.

Here are examples of political lying, corruption, and political indecency that goes back to the beginning of the Republic. It's too long to read. Just peruse it to see how long it stretches, so you can end your discussion or argument about who started treating the other wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                  Political lying and indecency in the ELITES class didn't begin in the 1990's, with Clinton, and Trump and Clinton may have more decency in them than you know. While there is no doubt in my mind that Trump, and Clinton both did a lot of people wrong, and used their power to decimate anyone who opposed them (almost all of Clinton was as a politician, and husband, etc. who ruined a lot of lives, while Trump was a businessman and husband who did a lot of bad things to enemies, friends, wives, etc.). People lied about them too (see the Russian impeachment hearings for Trump which have been totally discredited) which now is worse than in the past (see that we've had three Presidential impeachment hearings in the pas 25 years, two in the past 5 years, when you had to go back to the Civil War for the last impeachment prior) .

My biggest concern is that now, no one who goes to Washington doesn't become very rich, and corrupted.

Here are examples of political lying, corruption, and political indecency that goes back to the beginning of the Republic. It's too long to read. Just peruse it to see how long it stretches, so you can end your discussion or argument about who started treating the other wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
                  I am not addressing political lying. I assume if a politician's lips are moving they are lying or, to be generous, at least exaggerating. I am not even addressing personal lying to someone with whom you made a vow, such as a wife or the Bar Association.

I am addressing lying under oath. That was worthy of Bill being impeached.

You political scientist (sorry I couldn't bring myself to capitalize that) may correct me, but Nixon didn't resign because the Democrats ganged up on him, but because he lost support of the Republicans. Clinton did not lose the support of Democrats in the same magnitude. Of course, extrem partisanship is not new. I do think that the current political acrimony goes back to the way the republicans and the democrats handled the Clinton situation. With a strong assist by 24 hour news cycle and social media.

While not strictly apolitical, I follow politics much the way I follow sports. I have favorites that I watch with interest, but win or lose I turn off the TV, shut off the lights and go to sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by atlwsu View Post

I am not addressing political lying. I assume if a politician's lips are moving they are lying or, to be generous, at least exaggerating. I am not even addressing personal lying to someone with whom you made a vow, such as a wife or the Bar Association.

I am addressing lying under oath. That was worthy of Bill being impeached.

You political scientist (sorry I couldn't bring myself to capitalize that) may correct me, but Nixon didn't resign because the Democrats ganged up on him, but because he lost support of the Republicans. Clinton did not lose the support of Democrats in the same magnitude. Of course, extrem partisanship is not new. I do think that the current political acrimony goes back to the way the republicans and the democrats handled the Clinton situation. With a strong assist by 24 hour news cycle and social media.

While not strictly apolitical, I follow politics much the way I follow sports. I have favorites that I watch with interest, but win or lose I turn off the TV, shut off the lights and go to sleep.
                    Don’t disagree with what you say. Actually my timeline listed scandals, etc. which are a little more than lying.

Comment

Working...
                    X