Riverwalk proposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

Only half of the project is complete. The Riverfront portion isn't open yet, nor is the science museum and portions of the Council Bluffs side. The completed portion was about $400 mil. The entire project is north of a billion. Omaha really did the Gene Leahy Mall project right.
    If only it were easier to find a gas station. It’s like a 6+ block void. The two close are pains to get into.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

If only it were easier to find a gas station. It’s like a 6+ block void. The two close are pains to get into.
      LOL, yup! No gas downtown.

Pro tip. If you're in a bind for gas in downtown Omaha, head across the bridge to Council Bluffs. Lots of gas stations on Broadway on the Iowa side.
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

Only half of the project is complete. The Riverfront portion isn't open yet, nor is the science museum and portions of the Council Bluffs side. The completed portion was about $400 mil. The entire project is north of a billion. Omaha really did the Gene Leahy Mall project right.
        I told my wife yesterday that we're coming back once the Luminarium is complete. Wichita doesn't have a billion to commit but our leaders could surely start on something which would attract families to the riverfront area.

OKC has something similar but on a smaller scale with scissortail park. Our family had a nice time at it a couple of years back. I haven't made it to the new riverside gathering place park in Tulsa yet, but it has great reviews. Wichita is behind and needs to come up with a plan quickly.

Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

We should have a gathering place type of area in the nearish future as it's a primary focus of Exploration Place.

Wichita just struggles to think big and then be patient with the process. It shouldn't be this difficult to develop along the river and make it something worthwhile.

Wichita needs to learn to get out of its own way
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post

I told my wife yesterday that we're coming back once the Luminarium is complete. Wichita doesn't have a billion to commit but our leaders could surely start on something which would attract families to the riverfront area.

OKC has something similar but on a smaller scale with scissortail park. Our family had a nice time at it a couple of years back. I haven't made it to the new riverside gathering place park in Tulsa yet, but it has great reviews. Wichita is behind and needs to come up with a plan quickly.

Tulsa's is incredible! I do the Tulsa Tough every year and do the family ride on Sunday just to loop the park.
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Tulsa (1989) and Omaha (1956) both have Mayor- Council forms of Government, while Wichita (1918) was one of the first cities to use a Commission-Manager form of Government.
              I think the current form of Wichita Government leads to bureaucratic, leaderless stagnation.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
                Yeah omaha has left Ict in the dust.
                Same with Tulsa.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Kieways-2022-Issue-2-220615a-aas.jpg I found a photo, I'm not sure how recent, but it's probably at least last summer. The Gene Leahy Mall is in the background, the yet to be completed Riverfront is in the foreground and the Luminarium is to the right. The whole project is connected and further connects to the redevelopment on the Iowa side via a pedestrian bridge. The entire project has been funded and is on target to be completed. The Luminarium opens in April.

The four story library, the white building at the far end of the mall in front of the two red building, has since been razed and the Mutual of Omaha headquarters are being built on that site.

Comment

I didn't even know about this until I was looking for photos from the Iowa side, but this is also being built. The tower is all privately funded.

Comment

Working...
                    X