Riverwalk proposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riverwalk proposal

Surprised no one has brought up this topic. The newest proposal from Penumbra International incorporates Century II into a new enlarged building. Also the proposal wants to utilize the library for an aquarium as well as a seperate 700 room hotel and expo hall and performing arts building. Wants part of the building to house an air and space museum and shopping along the east bank. Supposedly the developers already have the funding in place but no real explanation as to who these investors are. looking at the projected artist renderings it really looks one of a kind. Look up Penumbra Riverwalk proposal to see and read about what they hope to develop.

That would put two proposed aquariums on the agenda and there's a great one already in KC.

Sedgwick County Zoo is a quasi-public facility and they've got plans for an aquarium. I'm confident the proposed development would be looking for public funds for their proposed aquarium.

I'm skeptical of the proposals to spend over $1 Billion to redevelop that area. That amount of spending doesn't seem to be recoverable from income generation from the development. Maybe I'm just skeptical. I suspect these proposals are specifically designed to put taxpayer dollars into the pockets of developers.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Comment

Maybe I’m just cynical, but I predict what will happen if this is approved is that it would end up being scaled back considerably. The rooftop restaurant will go from best in the world to best in south central Kansas. The 700 room hotel will become a 200 room hotel. The roller coaster and Ferris wheel will be “delayed” to a later time. The big tower thing (what is that anyway?) will mysteriously disappear from their plans.

It happens to everything built in Wichita, from Waterwalk to IBA to the baseball stadium—even the baseball team itself. Grandiose plans meant only to excite the city become watered down projects built on a shoestring budget that lack any and all of the amenities that originally made the prospect exciting in the first place.
          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Hopefully not financed by The Minnesota Guys

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
              Maybe I’m just cynical, but I predict what will happen if this is approved is that it would end up being scaled back considerably. The rooftop restaurant will go from best in the world to best in south central Kansas. The 700 room hotel will become a 200 room hotel. The roller coaster and Ferris wheel will be “delayed” to a later time. The big tower thing (what is that anyway?) will mysteriously disappear from their plans.

It happens to everything built in Wichita, from Waterwalk to IBA to the baseball stadium—even the baseball team itself. Grandiose plans meant only to excite the city become watered down projects built on a shoestring budget that lack any and all of the amenities that originally made the prospect exciting in the first place.
              Close. All of our watered down projects seem to end up costing more than the non-watered down versions we always say no to.
              Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Wichita has in the past had projects scaled back and or not followed up on. I believe the new baseball stadium is great and as far as the team it was MLB's decision to reorganize its minor league system and through no fault of the city or anyone else involved with it. Intrust was built with the money raised by a one time tax for a limited number of years. Would it have been better to be bigger? Probably. But they built what they could with the money they had available. Tough to ask for more money when almost half of those people already didn't want it in the first place. Intrust is a nicer venue than the Sprint center in KC by quite a bit in my opinion. This plan addresses some of the concerns about what to do with a couple of iconic buildings in Wichita and will utilize them which other proposals have them being torn down. I still would like more clarity on who is involved in the development but that part should be vetted by those that are better suited than I am to make a WAG at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                  Wichita has in the past had projects scaled back and or not followed up on. I believe the new baseball stadium is great and as far as the team it was MLB's decision to reorganize its minor league system and through no fault of the city or anyone else involved with it. Intrust was built with the money raised by a one time tax for a limited number of years. Would it have been better to be bigger? Probably. But they built what they could with the money they had available. Tough to ask for more money when almost half of those people already didn't want it in the first place. Intrust is a nicer venue than the Sprint center in KC by quite a bit in my opinion. This plan addresses some of the concerns about what to do with a couple of iconic buildings in Wichita and will utilize them which other proposals have them being torn down. I still would like more clarity on who is involved in the development but that part should be vetted by those that are better suited than I am to make a WAG at this time.

Comment

That was quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Close. All of our watered down projects seem to end up costing more than the non-watered down versions we always say no to.
                      Yep. Absolutely.

The baseball stadium is nice. But is it $80 million nice? I don't think so.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                        IBA is nicer than Sprint? lol IBA looks like the roof is about to cave in on the place. Absolutely the worst cut-corner design ever created. Again, they had $200 million to play with. That is not a $200 million facility.

If they expanded the roof and made it a normal convex design and had suites all around the place separating the upper and lower bowls it would've made much more sense. But nope.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

lol
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I wonder if it was a case of the messenger getting out of Dodge or whether someone shot the messenger. That is really strange/odd.

Comment

I figured it out. It dawned on me that "Penumbra" is probably a secret spy style anagram, that when decoded could shed some light on this foreign entity's real intentions for Wichita. So after a little massaging of the name "Penumbra", I was able to solve the case:

PENUMBRA --> RAPE NUMB

They wanted to shove it up Wichita's pooper so badly we didn't even care we were hemorrhaging cash.
                              Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Working...
                              X