No announcement yet.

Wind Surge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw where the Surge had better attendance yesterday than the After Shocks.

I did finally get to go to a game a few weeks ago when the Naturals were in town. Didn't get to see Witt play, but Pratto and Melendez didn't disappoint.

The stadium is pretty nice and has good sightlines all around. Everyone in our group was relatively impressed with it. And anyone who still bitches about parking is so full of ****. I walk further to get to a Shocker basketball game than we did to get to Riverfront.

I think the only complaint was the beer prices. I don't drink beer, but $10 for what my crew was getting seemed ridiculous. But they knew it would be bad going in.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I did finally get to go to a game a few weeks ago when the Naturals were in town. Didn't get to see Witt play, but Pratto and Melendez didn't disappoint.

The stadium is pretty nice and has good sightlines all around. Everyone in our group was relatively impressed with it. And anyone who still bitches about parking is so full of ****. I walk further to get to a Shocker basketball game than we did to get to Riverfront.

I think the only complaint was the beer prices. I don't drink beer, but $10 for what my crew was getting seemed ridiculous. But they knew it would be bad going in.
      That seems kind of backwards from what I've heard/read about many other baseball/some other sport venues. Seems many have found that reducing or having reasonably priced concessions not only brought in more fans, but increased the amount of concessions sold. Sort of a win/win/win.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

That seems kind of backwards from what I've heard/read about many other baseball/some other sport venues. Seems many have found that reducing or having reasonably priced concessions not only brought in more fans, but increased the amount of concessions sold. Sort of a win/win/win.
        I don't disagree with that line of thought. There is a sweet spot to be had. Yes, a lot of people will buy $10 beers. But I'm pretty sure more people would buy $7 (just an example) beers and probably end up buying more and thus spending more overall. A lot of venues still charge out the ass for such things though. They did have a cocktail cart/bar that I didn't approach for the simple fear that the price would be even more outrageous than the beer prices.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Sounds like Kansas Speedway; I once was ‘fleeced’ there.
          of course the beers were king size.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

New alternative name and explanation.

On Thursdays this season the team will be known as the Turbo Tubs. This goes back to the tub races once held on the river and incorporating the jet engines so valued around here. The captain of the Tub is none other than the troll who is a Wichita treasure downtown. Color scheme is supposed to reflect the colors of the amazing sunsets we get around here.

I'm going to go ahead and say I like this better than the official name of the team. It's locally relevant, a little out there, and fun. All things MiLB should be.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

This is the first I have ever heard of a troll along the river banks. Sus.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                This is the first I have ever heard of a troll along the river banks. Sus.
                You've never seen the troll? I don't remember the exact location as it's been years, but it's there.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Fear not! The 7-foot-tall beast that lives beneath the streets does not want to gobble you up; he just wants to make the city a little more beautiful.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

The troll is under a grate in the Arkansas River bike path along the north bank over near the old power plant.

He is actually marked in Google maps...

Capture.JPG
                    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

You've never seen the troll? I don't remember the exact location as it's been years, but it's there.
                      No, first I have heard of it. But now I gotta take my kid to go see it! :)
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

New alternative name and explanation.

On Thursdays this season the team will be known as the Turbo Tubs. This goes back to the tub races once held on the river and incorporating the jet engines so valued around here. The captain of the Tub is none other than the troll who is a Wichita treasure downtown. Color scheme is supposed to reflect the colors of the amazing sunsets we get around here.

I'm going to go ahead and say I like this better than the official name of the team. It's locally relevant, a little out there, and fun. All things MiLB should be.
                        Dude!! That's 1,000,000 times better than Wind Surge. That should be the permanent name and logo.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Dude!! That's 1,000,000 times better than Wind Surge. That should be the permanent name and logo.
                          I completely agree. Not everyone will love it, but it's so much better and relevant and fun. I'm most likely going to order some gear.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I completely agree. Not everyone will love it, but it's so much better and relevant and fun. I'm most likely going to order some gear.
                            Me too. Had never even thought twice about Wind Surge gear but would pony up for this gear.

Comment

I can take it or leave it, but 'Wind Surge' has been an appropriate name the past several months...

"You're my boy Blue!"

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                                I can take it or leave it, but 'Wind Surge' has been an appropriate name the past several months...

"You're my boy Blue!"

I love the third attachment.

Though it does get quite windy here, I think the problem with the name is that it's associated with hurricanes, which Wichita only sees when Tulsa comes to town and that's pretty weak when they do.

Turbo Tubs is also one of those strange enough names that might sell gear just because. You wouldn't necessarily have to have connections to Wichita. I know when I was younger I used to buy all kinds of hats with teams and schools I had zero connection to just because of the name. Worked for a store eventually that sold a lot of those types and they did fairly well.

I've never considered buying Surge gear, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a hat and T when I get home this evening.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X