Cutting The Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting The Cable

I'm about to move to streaming TV replacing cable. I've got Chromecast on two TV's and am leaning toward youtuge TV. My current internet access is through AT&T.

My concern is that savings on TV may be offset by increased charges for internet. My internet data use is going to go up by a lot.

Does anybody have experience with a lot of data over the Net and how that affects ISP charges? My internet data is going to switch from a few youtube videos and some basketball games to two televisions with steady use, even if it's just for background noise. I'm afraid my ISP charges may increase enough to offset my savings for cutting the cable.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    I'm about to move to streaming TV replacing cable. I've got Chromecast on two TV's and am leaning toward youtuge TV. My current internet access is through AT&T.

My concern is that savings on TV may be offset by increased charges for internet. My internet data use is going to go up by a lot.

Does anybody have experience with a lot of data over the Net and how that affects ISP charges? My internet data is going to switch from a few youtube videos and some basketball games to two televisions with steady use, even if it's just for background noise. I'm afraid my ISP charges may increase enough to offset my savings for cutting the cable.
    You do have to watch that. My tween boys each have phones and tablets and are doing online learning most of the time. My wife works from home 1/2 time. We spend $115 a month on internet which allows endless data use age through Cox. The service is fast, but lately we’ve had to reset the modem frequently.

We already had prime, Netflix, and Disney plus, but had to add Hulu live to get local channels and “basic cable”. Hulu live was $44 a month. The other three were about $30 a month.

Not sure that ATT has the best internet for streaming.
    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

You do have to watch that. My tween boys each have phones and tablets and are doing online learning most of the time. My wife works from home 1/2 time. We spend $115 a month on internet which allows endless data use age through Cox. The service is fast, but lately we’ve had to reset the modem frequently.

We already had prime, Netflix, and Disney plus, but had to add Hulu live to get local channels and “basic cable”. Hulu live was $44 a month. The other three were about $30 a month.

Not sure that ATT has the best internet for streaming.
      Do you always post about your irrelevant personal experiences? I see a red herring here. You must have a part time job with Hulu. If you do, congrats, They are pretty picky about who they hire.

Comment

Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Do you always post about your irrelevant personal experiences? I see a red herring here. You must have a part time job with Hulu. If you do, congrats, They are pretty picky about who they hire.
        Someone is on the rag.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Hey d!ckhead, Aargh solicited people's experiences and wu responded. Sorry you're triggered...

Comment

We have AT&T internet and four tv's, 3 phones, Ipad, Switch, and my wife and I both working from home. Have had zero issues with streaming or speed. Out AT&T bill is $75 per month.

Comment

Hulu just jacked up their rates, considering the switch to YouTube with Live. Hulu is now $65.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

One benefit of Hulu is the bundle with ESPN and Disney +.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

I'd recommend doing the free trials first of the streaming services if you can and then check the usage stats on your bill. I have AT&T for internet as well and the online version of the bill will break the usage down by day. I was afraid of the same thing happening - a lower tv bill but internet usage issues, but the actual usage wasn't as much as I thought it would be. But the breakdown will give you an idea of how much to expect and if your current internet plan will cover it or not. I also have an antenna hooked up to my main tv and sometimes just watch things on regular channels that way vs using a streaming service. For example, I watched the Chiefs game yesterday that way vs watching it on a streaming service and using internet bandwidth.

I've used both YouTube TV and Hulu Live TV. Now they're both basically the same price, so the main thing to look at is the extras, such as number of devices, dvr storage, and on demand choices. My main thing is price though, so I'm looking at moving to Sling TV Orange with their sports add-on and ESPN+ through basketball season. I like to watch the KC Royals games though, and none of them will be carrying Fox Sports Midwest, so not sure what I'll be watching this spring. I thought about MLB TV, but due to where I live, the Royals games would be blacked out, so it's not worth it. So by then I may be moving to the AT&T TV Now streaming thing because I think they still have Fox Sports Midwest.
                  Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                    One benefit of Hulu is the bundle with ESPN and Disney +.
                    Do you get ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU with that as well or just ESPN+?

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

Do you get ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU with that as well or just ESPN+?
                      I believe you would get all if you are a Hulu Live subscriber.

Comment

I believe you would get all if you are a Hulu Live subscriber.
                        Yeah I've had Hulu Live TV and it had the three of them, but then I paid for ESPN+ separate because I only got it once the WSU schedule came out and they had several games on it.

Hulu also has a non-live bundle with regular Hulu, Disney+, and ESPN+, and I thought that was the bundle you were referring to instead. I was thinking it just had ESPN+ and none of the regular ESPN ones, so that's why I was asking.

Comment

On the ESPN app I can get any game on any of the ESPN networks.

Comment

On the ESPN app I can get any game on any of the ESPN networks.
                            Were you able to do that without having a cable tv or streaming tv provider? I think I tried to watch the WSU vs Tulsa game that was live on ESPNU that way and it wouldn't let me watch unless I chose a tv provider first.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

Were you able to do that without having a cable tv or streaming tv provider? I think I tried to watch the WSU vs Tulsa game that was live on ESPNU that way and it wouldn't let me watch unless I chose a tv provider first.
                              No. You need some sort of live tv provider (Hulu Live, Youtube TV, Direct TV, etc.) in order to get the non ESPN+ content. Or at least know someone who has a username and password. Not that I condone that sort of trickery, but...

Comment

Working...
                              X