What's it like to live in Kansas City?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shockadaisical View Post

Downtown has some nice high rises, similar to the Plaza and some loft style condos, with some nice ones around Union Station area that are converted old warehouse buildings. Just to the North of downtown is the River Market area. The market itself offers kind of an international experience, with vendors selling produce, fresh food and coffee from different places around the world. So yes, downtown would be another good option.
    The Plaza would offer quicker freedom of movement in a car to other parts of the city and you will most likely have less homeless, vagrant types roaming the streets outside your building. On the plus side the arena would be in walking distance for concerts and sporting events and I-70 is right there to head east towards the sports complex.

I heard someone mention the airport and thought I would respond indirectly here that it is currently under a billion dollar redo and will be much more of a major airport when finished.

Downtown has some nice high rises, similar to the Plaza and some loft style condos, with some nice ones around Union Station area that are converted old warehouse buildings. Just to the North of downtown is the River Market area. The market itself offers kind of an international experience, with vendors selling produce, fresh food and coffee from different places around the world.
    Sounds lovely!

As far as major airports are concerned: I judge an airport by its prices and access, not it's shine. I mean, we live in America - the land of shitty/rundown airports unfortunately. Wish Trump could have gotten the infrastructure bill passed. Oh Covid! *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Sounds lovely!

As far as major airports are concerned: I judge an airport by its prices and access, not it's shine. I mean, we live in America - the land of shitty/rundown airports unfortunately. Wish Trump could have gotten the infrastructure bill passed. Oh Covid! *sigh*
      Denver airport is very reasonable as it is a hub for a couple of biggies. Recently booked round trip from SD to Denver for NYE. $68 round trip.

Comment

KC Experts: Any opinions on the Financial District/River Market area?

And am I to assume that no areas in the Jazz District are livable? There are some pretty cool joints over there and walking distance to sidewalk jazz bands in the summer sounds positively New Orlean'ish <3.

The news report about crime identifies an area north of I70, east of Troost, and south of Independence. The Jazz District is south of I70.

And just to be absolutely clear, where are the main areas to absolutely avoid.

Thanks.

Shockadaisical dregn JMAN_KC

Comment

If anybody wants to circle some areas to avoid or look into from this screenshot that would be appreciated. I circled the area just east of downtown that appears to be a historical hot zone.

Comment

If anybody wants to circle some areas to avoid or look into from this screenshot that would be appreciated. I circled the area just east of downtown that appears to be a historical hot zone.
            Prospect and Troost have some VERY free markets if you are into that sort of thing.
            Livin the dream

Comment

There is some really good BBQ in that area though...Gates I believe.

Comment

River Market has some nice condos. I would avoid that circled area east of Downtown. The Jazz district is cool to visit, the neighborhood around it, not so much. 71/49 highway is a good dividing line. To the west of it from River Market all the way down to the Plaza is for the most part pretty decent. To the east side of it the crime rate rises and the property values decrease.

Comment

One Light Luxury Apartments!

Comment

River Market has some nice condos. I would avoid that circled area east of Downtown. The Jazz district is cool to visit, the neighborhood around it, not so much. 71/49 highway is a good dividing line. To the west of it from River Market all the way down to the Plaza is for the most part pretty decent. To the east side of it the crime rate rises and the property values decrease.
                    Yes, I've heard the same thing about an east-west dividing line in KC w/ Troost being the line in the sand.

Comment

Originally posted by JMAN_KC View Post

One Light Luxury Apartments!
                      Very cool joint. An apartment wouldn't be a bad idea for a year until I get a good feel for everything.

Comment

KC Experts: Any opinions on the Financial District/River Market area?

And am I to assume that no areas in the Jazz District are livable? There are some pretty cool joints over there and walking distance to sidewalk jazz bands in the summer sounds positively New Orlean'ish <3.

The news report about crime identifies an area north of I70, east of Troost, and south of Independence. The Jazz District is south of I70.

And just to be absolutely clear, where are the main areas to absolutely avoid.

Thanks.

Shockadaisical dregn JMAN_KC
                        I'm not as familiar with downtown as I'm more of a suburbs or further out kind of person. Most of what I know is from my wife's involvement in the theatre seen and the fact a lot of those she's worked with live closer to downtown or through a few younger employees we've had at work. I agree with shockadaisical that really anything in that north south line is fine, really just depends on the scene you're after. From the stuff I do know about those areas you seem like more of a plaza area kind of guy, but that's an assumption based off random message board posts.

Comment

Not too far from the River Market area there are industrial zones marked on the map. Do these cause annoying smells/pollution when the wind is just right (think north of downtown Wichita refining smells).

Comment

Originally posted by dregn View Post
                            From the stuff I do know about those areas you seem like more of a plaza area kind of guy, but that's an assumption based off random message board posts.
                            If you mean a place where all the d-bags congregate, you're spot on!

Comment

If you mean a place where all the d-bags congregate, you're spot on!
                              That happens each of those places, just the class of d-bags I associate you with...

Comment

In my experience of living for short periods of time on both coasts, in huge cities and small towns, if you're where all the d-bags are hanging out, you're doing it right! D-bags congregate at all the cool sh!t. Also, if you can't identify the d-bags in the group, you're the d-bag.
                                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X