No announcement yet.

What's it like to live in Kansas City?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's it like to live in Kansas City?

This place has been on my radar for some time too. Not quite the dramatic change in scenery of a Colorado, but RE prices are more in line with sanity. I always love visiting that city and it has a unique culture to it that I like. I've always felt right at home in NYC too. Think I could feel at home in KC? I would prefer a more urban existence. I've done the suburban thing. Too many breeders for this bachelor. A side benefit would be the unlimited trolling opportunities as I represent with my Shocker gear.

One of the major reasons I'm looking to move is climate. I hate Wichita's heat (which surprisingly has been notably absent the last couple years). I think KC gets a slight reprieve from our worst heat waves doesn't it?

Weather here is less extreme on both ends. Slightly less windy on a daily basis. I miss Shocker BB in person! If you are thinking about living in downtown KC, I have no advice for you. That is certainly not my thing.

Comment

Originally posted by JMAN_KC View Post
      If you are thinking about living in downtown KC, I have no advice for you. That is certainly not my thing.
      Cryptic. Just no experience or desire or would you feel unsafe? I have tooled around downtown many times and have never felt uncomfortable. Although you're talking to someone who doesn't feel uncomfortable on a NY subway at 2am. Any parts of downtown to avoid altogether as I set my search filter?

Comment

No experience, no desire, don't know about being unsafe. Sorry I don't have any advice to offer, have always been in JOCO since moving here.

Comment

Personally I'd suggest more of the plaza area than downtown. Westport is also a pretty active social area, but little younger crowd and few more issues. I like the KC area. I enjoyed my time in Wichita and never saw myself as a larger metropolitan area person, but living in the Johnson county suburbs you get the advantage of being close to the benefits of KC with a smaller area feel that I prefer.

Comment

Jeez. Really the weather difference? Are you kidding me? It is more humid in KC and maybe a bit more snow but that would not be the reason to move there.

There is "more to do" in KC. But there is more to do in Chicago or Dallas than KC. I think the KC area is fine. Endless shopping centers, whether they be strip centers or stand-alone, is a turn off. I've lived in OP and it was fine. If you are moving to suburb to suburb, there is no reason to move. The only reason I can think of a reason to move to KC would be to live in a more big city, urban environment, which KC definitely has over Wichita. The Cross Roads area and mid-town are cool areas. I don't know what COVID has done to rental prices, but my son lived in an old high-rise studio and was paying around $900 per month. He ended up moving to KCK.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
              Jeez. Really the weather difference? Are you kidding me? It is more humid in KC and maybe a bit more snow but that would not be the reason to move there.

There is "more to do" in KC. But there is more to do in Chicago or Dallas than KC. I think the KC area is fine. Endless shopping centers, whether they be strip centers or stand-alone, is a turn off. I've lived in OP and it was fine. If you are moving to suburb to suburb, there is no reason to move. The only reason I can think of a reason to move to KC would be to live in a more big city, urban environment, which KC definitely has over Wichita. The Cross Roads area and mid-town are cool areas. I don't know what COVID has done to rental prices, but my son lived in an old high-rise studio and was paying around $900 per month. He ended up moving to KCK.
              I'll take any reprieve I can get man. Wichita can be really brutal. I don't mind the cold one bit though. But if it's going to be cold as balls, why not have a little snow too? In Wichita we get brown slush more times than not.

I'd also like the increased social (dating) and cultural opportunities of a bigger metro. I've even looked at Topeka oddly enough. I was there not too long ago and was surprised at how nice it was from what I remember. They've certainly been funneling tax dollars into that city. Really nice park. They recently ranked as somebody's top 10 place to live - I forget who.

But yeah, I'm goin' for the metro life I think. Chicago is too big and Dallas is just weird... and HOT. KC is a fine choice, but I thought I wanted Denver. I'm wondering though if Denver thinks it's San Francisco. If that's the feel of the town, I would clash with the Snowflakes, leaving them melted on the sidewalks everywhere.

Comment

You might want to avoid the 18th & Vine area, but I highly recommend you visit the Negro Hall of Fame at 1616 E 18th St, Kansas City, MO 64108.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Independence Avenue/Troost isn't Downtown

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

You might want to avoid the 18th & Vine area, but I highly recommend you visit the Negro Hall of Fame at 1616 E 18th St, Kansas City, MO 64108.

Got it! Don't think I'll be anywhere near that area. Will definitely be in the jazz district from time to time (18th & Vine?). Don't think that's any good either statistically.

Comment

Cold, stay your a$$ in Wichita and make things better; I believe there are open seats on the city and county councils.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Got it! Don't think I'll be anywhere near that area. Will definitely be in the jazz district from time to time (18th & Vine?). Don't think that's any good either statistically.
                        I did a Jazz crawl there many moons ago and we were dodgin' bullets...

Comment

Cold, stay your a$$ in Wichita and make things better; I believe there are open seats on the city and county councils.
                          First order of business as mayor would be to ban K|Uck-City paraphernalia.

It's a fine place to raise kids and own more house than you deserve but...

I've been here a long time man. I need to live somewhere "bad" so I can long for the days of "good ol' Doodah".

Comment

I did a Jazz crawl there many moons ago and we were dodgin' bullets...

Oh man... I'll take a few flesh wounds for some good Jazz. I've walked all over New Orleans for good jazz. Frenchman St.!!!

We have no good jazz/blues in Wichita, Ks. :(

Although Vorshay's was doin' this town solid before the pandemic. I feel so bad for that place.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

First order of business as mayor would be to ban K|Uck-City paraphernalia.

It's a fine place to raise kids and own more house than you deserve but...

I've been here a long time man. I need to live somewhere "bad" so I can long for the days of "good ol' Doodah".
                              If you select the KC area, you better get used to seeing “K|Uck-City paraphernalia”... they swarm like locusts.

Comment

Working...
                              X