No announcement yet.

What's it like to live in Colorado?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burns Vista and Salida! Vacationed at both.
    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

In a confrontation with an animal, I actually would prefer exercising "a duty to retreat" rather than when faced by a human "animal". For me it's all about intent, innocence, and justice. In the wild of Colorado, we are the trespassers. But your comments are well-founded. Don't ever let yourself be under-gunned in a moment of self-defense.
      If you need a firearm for self defense when you’re in the back country, you’re doing something wrong. Leave it at home, otherwise you risk hurting yourself, others, and innocent wildlife.

The chance of a confrontation in the back country with wildlife or humans with bad intent is so remote it’s practically nonexistent.
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

After further research the, the RE problem in and around Colorado's major urban centers is real. I don't know if I could convince myself to live in a $600k small town **** box w/ GrAniTE counter tops. And you can find the loveliest little 1 bedroom apartments in downtown Denver for only $625k. I mean... living in an Altoids container for a little over a 1/2 million? That just smells like clean mountain air!

I sound like a typical spoiled and boring Kansas tightwad don't I?

RE has basically doubled in price since 2012 in Colorado. So if you've been there that long RMS, congrats on the insta-equity!

They say Colo is bound for a RE crash in the next 5 years. Maybe that will be the time to buy. The mountains aren't going anywhere.
        I don’t know your RE tastes or your needs, but if all your realtor has found is $600k altoid boxes, you need a new realtor. I know a guy who is top notch—like seriously he’s won awards. He’s a good friend of mine, he’ll treat you right. Let me know.

I’ve lived here since 2007, we bought our current place in 2015. We live in the suburbs in a nice neighborhood, house was built in 2000 and has 1700 square feet, and our appraised value is nowhere near $600k. Has it increased substantially since 2015? Sure. But a RE crash is the least of my worries. My worries are centered around how low wage but absolutely necessary folks (garbage men, janitors, hospitality workers, even teachers) afford to buy here.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

If you need a firearm for self defense when you’re in the back country, you’re doing something wrong. Leave it at home, otherwise you risk hurting yourself, others, and innocent wildlife.

The chance of a confrontation in the back country with wildlife or humans with bad intent is so remote it’s practically nonexistent.
          How would you risk hurting yourself/others by carrying a firearm? Certainly the risk of needing one is low, and it’s understandable to not want deal with a heavy firearm in the back country, but do you think guns just start firing on their own?
          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

How would you risk hurting yourself/others by carrying a firearm? Certainly the risk of needing one is low, and it’s understandable to not want deal with a heavy firearm in the back country, but do you think guns just start firing on their own?
            Dude, really? No, I don't think guns "just start firing on their own." I own several myself and I'm not an idiot. I never said you risk hurting yourself/others by carrying one.

It's basic common sense and firearm knowledge that people can accidentally shoot themselves and unintended targets. The risk of an animal or human attack in the backcountry (at least in CO) is so outlandishly remote that it doesn't make sense to carry a firearm with you and risk harming yourself, others, and wildlife that you may perceive as threatening but really aren't. Some forests and wildernesses prohibit firearms. So if you're not on your own property, do us all a favor and just leave it at home. That's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

Dude, really? No, I don't think guns "just start firing on their own." I own several myself and I'm not an idiot. I never said you risk hurting yourself/others by carrying one.

It's basic common sense and firearm knowledge that people can accidentally shoot themselves and unintended targets. The risk of an animal or human attack in the backcountry (at least in CO) is so outlandishly remote that it doesn't make sense to carry a firearm with you and risk harming yourself, others, and wildlife that you may perceive as threatening but really aren't. Some forests and wildernesses prohibit firearms. So if you're not on your own property, do us all a favor and just leave it at home. That's all.
              I just disagree that carrying a firearm leads to accidentally shooting oneself or unintended targets and that leaving my firearm at home is a favor to anyone. I carry daily and have never unholstered in public. That’s all.
              Livin the dream

Comment

I just disagree that carrying a firearm leads to accidentally shooting oneself or unintended targets and that leaving my firearm at home is a favor to anyone. I carry daily and have never unholstered in public. That’s all.
                Every day huh? John James Rambo...

I got bored carrying all the time. Plus, I intimidate people enough that I really don't need a gun. I could get cited for brandishing a deadly stare.

P.S. Lots of accidents do happen involving firearms. We need more education. People need to learn how to index their finger. Movies have done a lot of harm w/ respect to how people act around guns. It's finger to the trigger the second they pick one up... just like Dirty Harry. The second biggest offense is flagging. That one is harder to prevent when in a group. People just need to remain focused always when handling a gun... and keep it pointed DOWN.

Comment

Accident by firearm is the 11th leading cause of accidental death in the US. Behind such things as poisoning, motor vehicle, falls, suffocation, drowning, fires, and machinery. Not really running rampant.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                    Accident by firearm is the 11th leading cause of accidental death in the US. Behind such things as poisoning, motor vehicle, falls, suffocation, drowning, fires, and machinery. Not really running rampant.
                    And like RMS said, don't carry a firearm, don't subject yourself to the potential 11th leading cause of accidental death.

P.S. Death is not the only bad outcome btw... ;)

P.P.S. 430 unintentional firearm fatalities every year.

P.P.P.S. I'm in no way advocating the restriction of gun ownership. Just arguing on RMS's side for fun and frictional purposes. :)

Comment

And like RMS said, don't carry a firearm, don't subject yourself to the potential 11th leading cause of accidental death.

P.S. Death is not the only bad outcome btw... ;)

P.P.S. 430 unintentional firearm fatalities every year.

P.P.P.S. I'm in no way advocating the restriction of gun ownership. Just arguing on RMS's side for fun and frictional purposes. :)
                      170,000 accidental deaths in the US annually. 430 deaths from firearms. That's 0.25% of accidental deaths coming from firearms.

Comment

Every day huh? John James Rambo...

I got bored carrying all the time. Plus, I intimidate people enough that I really don't need a gun. I could get cited for brandishing a deadly stare.

P.S. Lots of accidents do happen involving firearms. We need more education. People need to learn how to index their finger. Movies have done a lot of harm w/ respect to how people act around guns. It's finger to the trigger the second they pick one up... just like Dirty Harry. The second biggest offense is flagging. That one is harder to prevent when in a group. People just need to remain focused always when handling a gun... and keep it pointed DOWN.
                        I don’t advocate that everyone carry. I do advocate that everyone get training and own a gun.

Side note: I carry a S&W M&P Shield 2.0. It’s a lil single stack 9. I don’t carry any extra mags or anything. This is a get out of harms way while armed kind of carry and I doubt I will ever need it. I don’t carry my S&W 686 with a 5” barrel or my 223. We all make risk reward decisions.
                        Last edited by wufan; January 8, 2021, 05:34 PM.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

I don’t advocate that everyone carry. I do advocate that everyone get training and own a gun.

Side note: I carry a S&W M&P Shield 2.0. It’s a lil single stack 9. I don’t carry any extra mags or anything. This is a get out of harms way while armed kind of carry and I doubt I will ever need it. I don’t carry my S&W 686 with a 5” barrel or my 223. We all make risk reward decisions.
                          I'm a biiiiiig believer in tasers. Guns are fun, but I think they are very impractical for 99% of the public in regards to self-defense. Tasers are more intimate, and certainly not what you want in a firefight, but for most of the life-or-death situations a citizen will encounter on the street, a taster is going to be MUCH more effective at eliminating the threat. It's also more likely to be used by the average person. Most people do not have the balls to fire their gun when it matters most - which is almost immediately after you've determined your life is at risk. Also, I've studied terminal ballistics a ton and you would not believe how ineffective pistols can be at stopping threats. Most shooting deaths result from the victim bleeding out. And it takes quite a while to bleed out/lose consciousness... It's T-zone or bust w/ a gun.

Comment

I'm a biiiiiig believer in tasers. Guns are fun, but I think they are very impractical for 99% of the public in regards to self-defense. Tasers are more intimate, and certainly not what you want in a firefight, but for most of the life-or-death situations a citizen will encounter on the street, a taster is going to be MUCH more effective at eliminating the threat. It's also more likely to be used by the average person. Most people do not have the balls to fire their gun when it matters most - which is almost immediately after you've determined your life is at risk. Also, I've studied terminal ballistics a ton and you would not believe how ineffective pistols can be at stopping threats. Most shooting deaths result from the victim bleeding out. And it takes quite a while to bleed out/lose consciousness... It's T-zone or bust w/ a gun.
                            I’d highly recommend NOT carrying a taser in the wilderness of Colorado. Also, if you are arguing for safety, note that one of the Trump rioters is being reported as having accidentally killed himself with one.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

I’d highly recommend NOT carrying a taser in the wilderness of Colorado. Also, if you are arguing for safety, note that one of the Trump rioters is being reported as having accidentally killed himself with one.
                              Wildlife tasing....... never thought of that lol.

Thank you for stimulating a new search string idea in my brain and adding to what is already a near-limitless repository of useful and useless information.

Killing a person with a taser is rare. Killing yourself with one? Thx Darwin!

Comment

Working...
                              X