Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
    t

The last time I was in Wichita, about a decade ago, I went out of my way to find, and eat at Spangles. It's pretty friggin' good. On the other hand, if I lived in Wichita, I'd be pissed I couldn't get a White Castle. I effing love White Castle and the closest place to get them now, I think is St.Louis. I'd give my left nut for a White Castle within 20 miles!
    The closest place to Wichita to get burgers similar to White Castle is the Cozy Inn in Salina Kansas (90 miles North of Wichita). I believe they are even better than White Castle, well worth the drive.

Comment

• Hey JV, since you like biking challenges... if you ever find yourself riding in the southeast part of town, ride up the old soap box derby track at Geo Washington blvd and Oliver. It’s a lot steeper than it looks. The last couple hundred yards is a killer!

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
        Hey JV, since you like biking challenges... if you ever find yourself riding in the southeast part of town, ride up the old soap box derby track at Geo Washington blvd and Oliver. It’s a lot steeper than it looks. The last couple hundred yards is a killer!
        Is this it? How long is the track?

Comment

• The average gradient for a parking garage is 5 to 7%. What makes the garage so challenging is the cornering and you have to pedal out of corners. You also have to be wary of the grooves in the garage floor, as a road bike (like mine) could easily catch a tire and you go down. So there are 4 turns in the WSU garage. I'll get the distance next time I'm that way. Think about this though....I can coast down from the top of the garage and hit speeds of 15-20 MPH easily without pedaling and it takess about 1:00 flat. You have to break in every turn on the way down to make the turn. How much brake will change the amount of time it takes to get down. It takes almost a full minute to get from the top to the bottom (or starting point). So today was :51 seconds from bottom to top. Three or ffour climbs under a minute and you are really working and breathing - usually doing a lap or two to cool down at the top before heading down and doing another. Other notable challenges for cyclists in the Wichita area are 21st Street or Central (East side) from about 143rd East traveling west towards 127th street. 13th Street heading west is about the same but feels like an easier ride. The gradient starts pretty small and at the steepest is probably 6 to 7%. So only a half mile (maybe) at 7%. It was on these (downhills) that I hit 44-45 mph on my road bike. A little more road and who knows...maybe I hit 50?

Another steep and tough section is the bicycle path along the K96 corridor out near Andover. Heading south on the path you get a nice downhill warmup of about a half mile. The gradient is probably only 3 to 5%....the kicker comes at the 1/2 mile point south of 21st where you have an "S" curve. From the bottom there you have a very very brief uphill gradient of maybe 6 to 10% up to the old rail corridor. Its probably only 50 to 100 feet, but from there the gradient levels to about 3 to 5%, then heads up sharply 5 to 10%. Its only a half mile, and its Kansas - there aren't a lot of hills or mountains to ride, but on a windy day with the wind pouring out of the south (which is a regular feature in the summer), that uphill climb in 95 degree weather into a headwind of 15-25 MPH makes it feel 3X as bad (or fun if you like a little punishment on your ride). There are no trees to block the wind and it just pours down that hill into your face. Your best bet is to try and maintain a low profile and keep your body as narrow as you can. Any attempt to stand and pull from the top bar and the wind will slap you hard and leave you gasping for breath and momentum. 1 or 2 of them in a row at high intensity is enough for me anymore.

Comment

• Yes sir, your picture is the old Soap box derby track. We were about 20 miles into our ride when we tried it last Thursday. I ran out of gas before I could get to the very top, but was coasting down at 19 mph all the while riding the brakes.

As a frequent rider of the K96 path, very familiar with some of those hills you describe, especially that section immediately south of the Redbud crossing, and that fun downhill on Central from 127th to 159th. You are a brave man to go 45 mph on a rode bike!

Sure wish they would pave that section of Redbud from 159th to the K96 path. Could open up so many more possibilities

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
              Yes sir, your picture is the old Soap box derby track. We were about 20 miles into our ride when we tried it last Thursday. I ran out of gas before I could get to the very top, but was coasting down at 19 mph all the while riding the brakes.

As a frequent rider of the K96 path, very familiar with some of those hills you describe, especially that section immediately south of the Redbud crossing, and that fun downhill on Central from 127th to 159th. You are a brave man to go 45 mph on a rode bike!

Sure wish they would pave that section of Redbud from 159th to the K96 path. Could open up so many more possibilities

I spoke with a resident at Lakepoint years ago, and the reason the said the railroad corridor isn't paved from Rock Road to Webb (at least) is the Kochs said "no". As far as the other sections (Woodlawn to Rock), Webb to Greenwich, Greenwich to K96.....I have no idea. I would guess money talks, or at least tosses out a

Comment

• Well “supposedly” the funding to pave the Redbud path from 159th to the K96 path was approved to be spent last year. I know someone is doing something with heavy equipment maybe 1/4 mile east of the K96 path on what should be the Redbud path, but what they’re doing I don’t know. I hope paving the path is part of all the construction.

BTW, I have heard the same thing about Charles Koch not wanting the path behind his property finished. Sad but understandable I guess.

Was checking out the Prairie Spirit trail when I was in that part of town yesterday. Have you ridden that before? Looked like fun. I’ve got a gravel bike on order and as soon as I get it, I want to hop on that trail get off the beaten path.

Comment

• So today, I just tooled around the neighborhood. I dont drink much, but really had a hankering for a gin and tonic. 'Nuff said.
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.
                  There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Went on bike ride again this AM. Getting warm here, which I kind'a like. Wife actually had a tube blow out and I had to replace it while we were on campus. ALWAYS CARRY A SPARE PEOPLE. Sound advice to anyone who wants to start cycling: learn how to quickly replace or repair a flat tire (tube). I once rode with a guy whose tires were so bad, the heat from the street seemed to cause his worn wire to split and blow out his tube. He spent 5-10 minutes digging thru thick grasses nearby to line the inside of his tire so he could get back on a spare tube. I think his name was "MacGuyver".

Have some official numbers on fun climbs in the area after this morning.

Parking garage at WSU from East side standing start to top level West side is exactly .2 miles. As I said earlier, my goal by mid-late summer is :45 seconds to ride the 1/5 mile. Doesn't sound too impressive, but I hope to find the sweet spots on the four turns so I can maintain my speed and safely make a turn (going wide) so as to NOT have to apply the brakes. Do five of the climbs at high intensity like that and you get a SOLID aerobic workout.

There is another decent hill/climb in Sleepy Hollow near MacDonald Golf Course. Start at Yale and head east, the .33 mile climb starts after a rocky sometimes bumpy downhill for about .25 mile, then climb .33 miles to Crestway. The road is sh*te but it is .33 miles in length. Gradient is probably 6 to 8% in a spot so it is a fun climb and feels brutal at the top.

Third climb is .77 mile in length. This one is in College Hill on First Street from Hillside traveling East towards Oliver. At about .45 of a mile (in a 3 to 5% ?? gradient) the road levels out and descends briefly for maybe a block before it ramps up again at 4 to 6% for a final push. Lots of fun.

All of these climbs pale in comparison to the K96 bike path from (about) 21st street traveling south to 13th street, ESPECIALLY on a windy day. I'll head out there and try and get some numbers this week if I can.

Favorite place to bike may actually be Sedgwick County Park out near Wichita Zoo, especially for a fun ride (not challenging one). Just really enjoyable.

No gin and tonic when I got home, homemade ice cream.

Comment

• Your MacDonald golf course hill brings back old memories. I believe the street with the hill you’re talking about is Murdock. I grew up at around Terrace and Murdock, which is one block East of Crestway. I remember many times struggling up that hill on my old Western Flyer banana seat single speed bike. I considered getting my scrawny little butt up that hill quite an accomplishment at the time!

Comment

• Any runners out there? I know DUShock is. Any others?
                        Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                          Any runners out there? I know DUShock is. Any others?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            Any runners out there? I know DUShock is. Any others?
                            Please place this in the "Runners" thread. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Not sure it's even worth creating one.
                              Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X