No announcement yet.

Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for posting the article on Nurse shortages Kung Wu as it explains it perfectly.
    Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      Though both ultimately have the same root cause (strained operating capital at the typical hospital) and can be tied back to liberal policy regarding our healthcare (price controls and government interference leading to abuse and out-of-this-world skyrocketing prices)
      Using HCA as the example here, how can you say they have strained operating capital when they have been posting record numbers the last several years. I'd say it has to do with corporate greed and the desire for bigger bonuses. You'd like to think a hospital would me more concerned with patient safety over record profits.

Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

Y'all are talking about two different problems with different causes.

Doctor shortages: https://www.leveragerx.com/blog/us-doctor-shortage/

... have a different cause than ...

Nurse shortages: https://dailynurse.com/nnu-hospital-...affing-crisis/

Though both ultimately have the same root cause (strained operating capital at the typical hospital) and can be tied back to liberal policy regarding our healthcare (price controls and government interference leading to abuse and out-of-this-world skyrocketing prices).

And yeah, doctor shortages during an R0 >> 5 outbreak has to suck badly. I feel for ya OregonShocker. Keep up the good fight!
        I think there some good points here.

I have done a lot of business planning in several different labor based businesses and some that included labor and capital. Capacity planning, utilization rates and labor cost are critical. I have never done any planning in the health industry. But it is only common sense one can not staff or build capacity for the peeks without really increasing cost. Most businesses know how to handle the peek and valley of work flow. It isn't only that this pandemic has put stress on the system but it is compounded by its length and political & litigious climate. I think the health industry is trying to address labor costs by replacing high cost Doctors with PAs and NPs, and low skilled tasks with non-nurse labor. Good planners will plan labor utilization to include medical time off, vacation training, certifications requirements, special assignments, etc. Often staffing issues are band-aided with diverting staff or temporary staffing. My daughter-in-law a very capable NP was laid off because elective surgery was suspended in early 2021 and she received $$$$ unemployment. She should have been re-assigned even outside of her specialty. He mother is the head nurse in surgery clinic that had unused capacity.

I really sympathize with the over worked staffs. Not taking maternity leave in to consideration given the gender and age demographic of most hospital nursing staffs is a major planning error to me.

Anyway hates off to the overworked staff everywhere, even in the non-essential areas of the economy that are understaffed and over worked.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post

Using HCA as the example here, how can you say they have strained operating capital when they have been posting record numbers the last several years. I'd say it has to do with corporate greed and the desire for bigger bonuses. You'd like to think a hospital would me more concerned with patient safety over record profits.
          I don't know anything about HCA other than a healthy portion of their profit in 2020 was propped up by stimulus checks masquerading as profit.

This is the profitability of 2,869 hospitals nationwide in 2018:

As for me, I am not personally excited about running most businesses with a 3.8 to 5.2% profit margin. Certainly there are exceptions, but by and large, that would feel very resource constrained.

Source: http://blog.torchinsight.com/2018/06...are-hospitals/
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I don't know anything about HCA other than a healthy portion of their profit in 2020 was propped up by stimulus checks masquerading as profit.

This is the profitability of 2,869 hospitals nationwide in 2018:

As for me, I am not personally excited about running most businesses with a 3.8 to 5.2% profit margin. Certainly there are exceptions, but by and large, that would feel very resource constrained.

Source: http://blog.torchinsight.com/2018/06...are-hospitals/
            Getting into the weeds a bit but I chose HCA since they are the largest public hospital corporation in America. Also, they are the owner of Wesley which is having significant issues per the Eagle article. The data from the article you posted includes gov't and nonprofit hospitals so that should be noted. Also, the data is from 2016 not 2018. The margins have been rising since then. Hospitals are in a bad spot staffing wise but they need to share in the blame as they are partially responsible.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Correct.
              Would it be too much to ask to only have those individuals who are being treated primarily for symptoms relating to Covid included in the data? Maybe I'm missing the point of this data.

Comment

• I can’t speak to the entire nation, but can relate my own experience which is echoed by my friends/colleagues across the Midwest, including Wichita and Nebraska. Hospital beds are scarce NOT because of dr/ staff shortages, although there certainly are shortages. There have been shortages for years. The sheer number of people needing hospitalization has skyrocketed, and that’s directly related to CoVid and, dare I say it aloud, those that refuse vaccination. I equate it to being **** faced drunk. If you want to dance naked in your own home, have at it. If you want to get drunk, drive around crowded areas, go to games unmasked, eat at restaurants, etc. well, then NOW you’re driving drunk, endangering others. And now it’s my business, and societies’ business, and we have every right to say, “No. Stop.” It’s getting harder to endure what’s being asked of us and NOT have some anger towards those “driving drunk” and saying, “This is YOUR fault.”
                I gotta go away for a while, lest I lose all compassion.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                  I can’t speak to the entire nation, but can relate my own experience which is echoed by my friends/colleagues across the Midwest, including Wichita and Nebraska. Hospital beds are scarce NOT because of dr/ staff shortages, although there certainly are shortages. There have been shortages for years. The sheer number of people needing hospitalization has skyrocketed, and that’s directly related to CoVid and, dare I say it aloud, those that refuse vaccination. I equate it to being **** faced drunk. If you want to dance naked in your own home, have at it. If you want to get drunk, drive around crowded areas, go to games unmasked, eat at restaurants, etc. well, then NOW you’re driving drunk, endangering others. And now it’s my business, and societies’ business, and we have every right to say, “No. Stop.” It’s getting harder to endure what’s being asked of us and NOT have some anger towards those “driving drunk” and saying, “This is YOUR fault.”
                  I’m vaccinated and boosted. But what I hear you say is that my 4 and 8 year old grand children need to be vaccinated (with a long term untested product), when they are totally healthy, and have most likely had asymptomatic Covid? That’s what Fauci says. Everyone should be vaccinated and boosted. Even though I’m not a Doctor, that doesn’t pass the logic test.

I heard a doctor today talking some sense. She said that there are 20% of people over 50 years old, who haven’t been vaccinated. They should be targeted instead of kids. I also heard a common sense suggestion from former CDC director Dr. Redfield. He suggested that they develop a test to discover the anti-body, cellular structure of each person to see who NEEDS a booster or vaccine. He said that not everyone needs a boost, and it would allow people to make logical decisions. He suggested we make health decisions on an individual basis, instead of a one size fits all basis. What a novel idea.

Comment

I can’t speak to the entire nation, but can relate my own experience which is echoed by my friends/colleagues across the Midwest, including Wichita and Nebraska. Hospital beds are scarce NOT because of dr/ staff shortages, although there certainly are shortages. There have been shortages for years. The sheer number of people needing hospitalization has skyrocketed, and that’s directly related to CoVid and, dare I say it aloud, those that refuse vaccination. I equate it to being **** faced drunk. If you want to dance naked in your own home, have at it. If you want to get drunk, drive around crowded areas, go to games unmasked, eat at restaurants, etc. well, then NOW you’re driving drunk, endangering others. And now it’s my business, and societies’ business, and we have every right to say, “No. Stop.” It’s getting harder to endure what’s being asked of us and NOT have some anger towards those “driving drunk” and saying, “This is YOUR fault.”
                    I thought you were signing off hours ago?
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• And let me just say, I respect and thank the tireless work by any healthcare official. I have nothing against them. They have their beliefs and others have theirs. I too work in the same arena and there’s different outlooks all over. Oregon isn’t THE authority on this.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

42 Shockernetters responded to the COVID vaccination thread - 37 were vaccinated, 1 was going to get vaccinated, 4 were not vaccinated. So get off your high horse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                          I also heard a common sense suggestion from former CDC director Dr. Redfield. He suggested that they develop a test to discover the anti-body, cellular structure of each person to see who NEEDS a booster or vaccine. He said that not everyone needs a boost, and it would allow people to make logical decisions. He suggested we make health decisions on an individual basis, instead of a one size fits all basis. What a novel idea.
                          Yep. Been wondering (asking) this for about a year and I ain't no doctor. Makes a lot sense and should've been done already.

On a side note...a dear friend of ours who has been a nurse for 20 plus years was absolutely horrified that I had not gotten the shot from a conversation we had about 5 months ago. She said at that point hospital's and staff were to the point if you weren't vax'ed and especially if you had no insurance that you were gonna be s##t outta luck. I have health insurance of course but yeah...in other words...there was no sympathy when trying to be admitted if unvaxxed. I had already assumed that was the case but still was trusting my anti-bodies from previous infection and still didn't get vax'ed.

I am now (or almost fully)...but her confirming what I thought was gonna happen if having to go to the ER and not being vax'ed I suppose got the best of me because all my instincts said "no" to getting a new vaccine until just recently.

Anyways...for those that haven't got it yet...God Bless you. It's still everyone's choice. Definitely wasn't trying to be macho by not getting it...and it definitely wasn't political not getting it. But hell...I finally succumbed and joined the sheep. Damn I hate saying that...

Anyways Happy New Year to everyone and sorry for the long post. Go Shocks!!!
                          FINAL FOURS:
                          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                          Number of Times Ranked: 157
                          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                          #3 - Dec. 2017
                          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                          #2 ~ March 2014
                          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Fauci said that any kid who is hospitalized is tested and counted as being hospitalized with COVID, even if they were hospitalized for reasons that had nothing to do with COVID. So if they were there for a broken leg, they’re counted as hospitalized with COVID. Fauci admitted that was artificially overcounting and distorting the numbers of “hospitalizations.”

“And what we mean by that: If a child goes into the hospital, they automatically get tested for COVID and they get counted as a COVID-hospitalized individual, when, in fact, they may go in for a broken leg or appendicitis or something like that. So it’s over counting the number of children who are, quote, hospitalized with COVID as opposed to because of COVID,” Fauci explained.

Now, we knew that this was the way that some of the deaths were being counted because the Illinois Public Health Director explained it back in April 2020. But if you said this on social media, you might get labeled as pushing a conspiracy, even though it was demonstrably true. Now after almost two years, we’re finally hearing such an admission from Fauci himself?

This lack of integrity and transparency in dealing with Covid has been a major failing. I suppose there are a number or reasons for that. Incomptence. Greed. Politics. None of them good reasons.

Comment

• 'Mass Formation Psychosis' — It's Real, and It Was Purposely Caused by Biden and the Democrat Party

Mass Formation Psychosis, or “mass hypnosis” or “the madness of crowds,” as noted by TrialSiteNews, occurs when a large fraction of the population is completely unable to process new scientific data and facts, demonstrating that they have been misled or lied to.

In the case of COVID-19, the no-longer-pandemic, Anthony Fauci, Joe Biden, and the Democrat Party, and the Democrat state media — principally CNN and MSNBC — have consistently misled, changed their stories, or outright lied to America about the effectiveness and adverse impacts of mandatory mask use, lockdowns, and genetic vaccines that cause people’s bodies to make large amounts of biologically-active coronavirus spike protein.

Tens of millions of Americans, hypnotized by the left, have been and remain incapable of recognizing the lies and manipulation.

Dr. Robert Malone, a noted virologist and immunologist whose recent work has focused on mRNA technology, pharmaceuticals, and drug repurposing research, compared mass formation psychosis in pre-World War II Germany to what we are today experiencing in America in response to COVID.

Malone has been blasted by the left for “promoting misinformation about the safety and effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines.”

To that end, Twitter on Wednesday permanently suspended Malone’s Twitter account for spreading “‘misinformation’ about the virus and vaccines.” The ban came just hours after the AP posted a controversial “fact check” report claiming Malone “misled” people by claiming the vaccines are failing against the Omicron variant.

Just one problem.

As noted by The Rio Times, a recent study found that more than 90 percent of Omicron cases in Germany have been “fully vaccinated” (28 percent of those had a “booster), and just 4.42 percent were unvaccinated.

No matter. Experts like Robert Malone continue to be banned on Twitter for speaking truth to power, while Democrat COVID hood ornament Anthony Fauci and Joe “winter of severe illness and death” Biden continue to fearmonger.

Whether Dr. Malone is correct or not is not the point. The suppresion of his right to be able to express his viewpoints is the issue. If he and others like him are clearly wrong than it should be pretty easy to counter those points with established and irrefutable facts if properly presented instead of just censoring them and cancelling them. But that assumes we are able to present facts with intergrity and transparency and we have he capacity to admit when those facts my be proven wrong. This would also force the masses to think and analyze instead of being force fed by persons with agendas that may or may not be aligned with the interests and benefit of the general population. But clearly that has not and is not happening. Fearmongering works. So we are at the mercy of those who wield power and disseminate information. And, unfortunatrely, honesty and integrity in among those folks is in very short supply.

Comment

• Lots of trolls in this thread. In fact, most of the stuff the guys in here post can't be taken seriously unless you envision them all stopping formal education at the 8th grade.

To people like OregonShocker, this is not a joke. Mental and emotional exhaustion is one thing, but when you add in the anger and frustration that comes from Covidiocy, it becomes a bit too much. All the "big-time patriots" would change their tune in about 5 seconds flat if the doctors and nurses walked off their jobs tomorrow. No more memes, no more mockery, just knees on ground and hands raised to the air begging.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you to every healthcare worker in America that continues to show up, day after day, suffering abuse from Covidiots while trying to save lives.

This could have been such a beautiful struggle.

I'm so ashamed.

Comment

Working...
                                X