One owner
    Clean Autocheck and Carfax
    Never driven hard
    All the bells and whistles
    Pampered

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

Exactly how I do it too. Before I send out my email to regional dealerships, I know exactly what I want by kicking the tires locally. So by that point it is just a bidding war between these dealerships. And I let them know upfront so they present best foot forward at first...there is little negotiation when they know they gotta go low from the outset.

it's a beautiful thing.. i put in my fax number on the website when it asks for phone and tell them to communicate via email only. ususally i'll start a burner yahoo.com email so i can abandon it after i'm done. sharpest pencil gets the deal.. some examples:

1) bought a 2011 altima in okc for 21,000... davis moore salesperson wanted 26,500 and their internet department undercut the salesperson at 24,300. i had financing lined up thru meritrust
      2) bought a 2013 lexus 300h - scholfield wanted i believe $43,500, hendrick in overland wanted $41,300.. paid cash
      3) bought a 2018 lexus rc350 - it was a hard get at the time and everyone came back with the same price.. i went to kc to get it as they had the windows tinted and a clear bra put on it and threw in floor mats.

DON'T sit in the chair at the dealership.

Comment

I'm feeling sorry for any Shockernet car dealers. Seriously, there are still some good people in the car business.

Comment

Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post

it's a beautiful thing.. i put in my fax number on the website when it asks for phone and tell them to communicate via email only. ususally i'll start a burner yahoo.com email so i can abandon it after i'm done. sharpest pencil gets the deal.. some examples:

1) bought a 2011 altima in okc for 21,000... davis moore salesperson wanted 26,500 and their internet department undercut the salesperson at 24,300. i had financing lined up thru meritrust
          2) bought a 2013 lexus 300h - scholfield wanted i believe $43,500, hendrick in overland wanted $41,300.. paid cash
          3) bought a 2018 lexus rc350 - it was a hard get at the time and everyone came back with the same price.. i went to kc to get it as they had the windows tinted and a clear bra put on it and threw in floor mats.

DON'T sit in the chair at the dealership.
          "Butt", you're missing out on the buying experience...

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
            I'm feeling sorry for any Shockernet car dealers. Seriously, there are still some good people in the car business.
            what dealership have you been to where you’ve bought a car on their playground the traditional way and didn't leave feeling like a penn state alum?

Comment

what dealership have you been to where you’ve bought a car on their playground the traditional way and didn't leave feeling like a penn state alum?
              MHF - I've always had good experiences negotiating with them... and I'm not a big fan of Ford vehicles. Their sales, service and Quick Lane people have always treated me right. I have one 'specialty' vehicle and they're the only dealer I trust to service it... and no, I don't work for them. I've also heard favorable comments (read them here also) about Hatchet, Donavan, Midway Motors and Parks Motors of Augusta. I'm different than most, I like to purchase my vehicles (I seldom buy new, but have a few times in the past) from a 'local' dealer and have them service my vehicle. MHF comes and gets my vehicle, provides a 'loaner' (sometimes a new vehicle) and returns my vehicle the same day or whenever it's ready. I've drove their 'loaner' vehicles to Kansas City, St. Louis and Dallas while mine was in the shop. My vehicle always comes back completely 'detailed'. Yes, you could say they 'kiss' my arse. As I've said before, there are good people in the car business.

I've owned some luxury vehicles throughout the years; primarily Lexus, BMW and Mercedes. While I love to drive them (Lexus is probably the best driving car I've found), it still costs too much to service them once the warranty expires... so I'm happy with my Ford Pinto.

Comment

got three pretty good stories..

1) went with a buddy a few weeks ago because his truck was making some funny noise while driving at 35-40mph after picking up his truck from rusty's... turns out they didn't tighten his lugs.. he was missing two and a third about to fall off the drivers side front. they fixed but wanted him to pay for the missing lugs... after a dirty look, rusty's ate their mistake. thankfully nobody was hurt.

2) had a client get capital "s" - screwed on a lease from eddy's... downright criminal, but i wasn't told in time to help.

3) my brother bought a vw passat from steven's vw.. took it back in for warranty work and was asked by the shop supervisor why there was internal damage in the trunk.. my brother was speechless as he didn't wreck/damage it.. turns out someone basically dropped it off the back of the auto transport when it was brought from the factory... steven falsified the records and fixed it in-house then sold it as a "new" vehicle with a squeeky clean record. a friend in the district attorney's office would have loved to have the case, but my brother lived in kc at the time and didn't want to mess with the hassle of distance investigation/court... steven bought the car back from him with a little bit of a premium.

what's worked for me.... i narrow the car that i'm interest in to a few... take the test drives and then hit the net for regional dealerships and the best price gets the deal. service can be done wherever you choose, warranty work can be done that way too... i'm just looking for the best price and the easiest deal, so for my last car, i sent 13 email to dealerships from louisville to denver, minneapolis to dallas... ended up visiting kc to pick up the car... seamless. was in and out in 25 minutes.

tips: have your financing lined up on your own

visit the dealership with a piece of paper with three makes/models on it.. as an example, if i wanted to consider a lexus rc350, nissan 370z, and a acura tl, i'd visit the lexus dealership with the list and let them know no decisions are being made today, just test driving.. drive em and decide.. then hit the net for the sharpest pencil.

don't be afraid to walk out.

know that each dealership has an internet department that would love to undercut the salesperson on the floor.. use them.

and always know... if you sit down to negotiate - you will lose. do you negotiating online - it saves time and hassle.
                Has that always been for new vehicles?

My next one will be used, which won't exactly be an apples to oranges comparison, but it will be a fuji to golden delicious comparison.

Comment

I’ve bought my wife’s last two new vehicles much the way sharif describes. Focus on exactly what you want model-spec-trim wise, then send out emails to the GM or internet managers at each and every dealer within whatever radius you’re comfortable with. Ask specifically for a set number that includes everything but sales taxes, and go from there. It’s really no different than asking for bids for work. If a given dealer won’t play ball that way best just assume they are one of the skuzzy ones and forget they exist. Plenty do play ball like this today though - most even. No annoying phone calls, no back and forth, no BS, just bids for your business. Really flips the script.

Don’t dismiss financing at the dealership with manufacturer financing. At times that can get you more money off due to how their back-end incentives work. Can always refi back home local a month or two later.

Don't buy extended warranties or any other add-on.

As for Wichita specifically, my experience is that prices are not very competitive here. Some of the dealers here are fine from a customer service perspective (those already mentioned), but you aren’t likely to get the same deal you can in KC or DFW.

And yeah, stay far, far away from anything associated with the Stevens clan - Eddys, any of the namesake dealerships (obviously), and some others owned by same. They’re all like a dog and pony show meets a three ring circus on crack cocaine. Pretty sure they have a permanent booth setup at the work release center in order to attract new employees. If you’re ever feeling down about yourself just drop by a Stevens dealership for a few minutes and rub shoulders with their help. You’ll leave feeling like Dwayne Johnson but with Bill Gates’ money and IQ.

For Rusty Eck Ford: see Stevens.
                  Last edited by SHOCKvalue; February 15, 2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

There’s a reason why back in the day the Wichita Lexus dealership didn’t go to the same clan that had the Toyota dealership.

There’s a reason why when Joe Self sold out his dealerships to Brandon Steven the BMW franchise didn’t go along too.

Heard from more than one unaffiliated source that a number of makes were close to yanking Brandon’s ownership with the recent FBI investigation.

WPD is still trying to connect the dots on why a new Tahoe with dealer tags from Brandon’s Chevy lot was being used by a drug dealer for months until it ran over Brian Arterburn. Civil lawsuits are just now getting the ball rolling.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

Has that always been for new vehicles?

My next one will be used, which won't exactly be an apples to oranges comparison, but it will be a fuji to golden delicious comparison.
                      rhey were new.. i think this strategy would struggle with used as your choice of car won’t be an apples to apples comparison

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                        I’ve bought my wife’s last two new vehicles much the way sharif describes. Focus on exactly what you want model-spec-trim wise, then send out emails to the GM or internet managers at each and every dealer within whatever radius you’re comfortable with. Ask specifically for a set number that includes everything but sales taxes, and go from there. It’s really no different than asking for bids for work. If a given dealer won’t play ball that way best just assume they are one of the skuzzy ones and forget they exist. Plenty do play ball like this today though - most even. No annoying phone calls, no back and forth, no BS, just bids for your business. Really flips the script.

Don’t dismiss financing at the dealership with manufacturer financing. At times that can get you more money off due to how their back-end incentives work. Can always refi back home local a month or two later.

As for Wichita specifically, my experience is that prices are not very competitive here. Some of the dealers here are fine from a customer service perspective (those already mentioned), but you aren’t likely to get the same deal you can in KC or DFW.

And yeah, stay far, far away from anything associated with the Stevens clan - Eddys, any of the namesake dealerships (obviously), Subaru of Wichita, Super Car Guys. They’re all like a dog and pony show meets a three ring circus on crack cocaine. Pretty sure they have a permanent booth setup at the work release center in order to attract employees. If you’re ever feeling down about yourself just drop by a Stevens dealership for a few minutes and rub shoulders with their help. You’ll leave feeling like Dwayne Johnson but with Bill Gates’ money and IQ.

I agree on financing at the dealership. Do your research before you line up your financing to find out where you will get your best bang for your buck. Sometimes the interest rate the dealership is a little bit higher than you can get on your own but it may come with a rebate. Often times you can refinance with your lender of choice after a couple of months.

Comment

And yeah, stay far, far away from anything associated with the Stevens clan - Eddys, any of the namesake dealerships (obviously), Subaru of Wichita, Super Car Guys. They’re all like a dog and pony show meets a three ring circus on crack cocaine. Pretty sure they have a permanent booth setup at the work release center in order to attract employees. If you’re ever feeling down about yourself just drop by a Stevens dealership for a few minutes and rub shoulders with their help. You’ll leave feeling like Dwayne Johnson but with Bill Gates’ money and IQ.

my wife’s cousin bought a car from super car guys it was referred to an insurance agent. This insurance lady has proceeded to sell her a rental insurance policy. The agent told her that this would be so she could rent cars in the future. I looked it over and it is a residential renters contents policy. After a phone call to the insurance company the policy was canceled and all of the premiums were returned. The insurance company documented the information on the situation and agent. we are now working on a formal complaint with the state insurance commissioner.

Comment

There’s a reason why back in the day the Wichita Lexus dealership didn’t go to the same clan that had the Toyota dealership.

There’s a reason why when Joe Self sold out his dealerships to Brandon Steven the BMW franchise didn’t go along too.

Heard from more than one unaffiliated source that a number of makes were close to yanking Brandon’s ownership with the recent FBI investigation.

WPD is still trying to connect the dots on why a new Tahoe with dealer tags from Brandon’s Chevy lot was being used by a drug dealer for months until it ran over Brian Arterburn. Civil lawsuits are just now getting the ball rolling.

i could tell more but don’t want it on a public forum. #wichitamafia

Comment

my wife’s cousin bought a car from super car guys it was referred to an insurance agent. This insurance lady has proceeded to sell her a rental insurance policy. The agent told her that this would be so she could rent cars in the future. I looked it over and it is a residential renters contents policy. After a phone call to the insurance company the policy was canceled and all of the premiums were returned. The insurance company documented the information on the situation and agent. we are now working on a formal complaint with the state insurance commissioner.
                              That's hilarious!

My first-hand story with the Steven clan is helping to buy a car for my now-wife at Mike's VW dealership back in 2008. Got negotiations done (a story in and of itself, but in keeping with typical eyeroll experiences most have in same), and we were walked over to the finance guy. She was doing VW finance, not some subprime nonsense, so everything should have been on the up-and-up, relative. She wasn't a "payment buyer", but the F&I guy precedes to spit out three or four different payment amounts, in succession, over several minutes, that were far higher than they should have been - given the terms of the deal and the rate. Weird right? Amount financed, interest, and term were all established, but we were getting different numbers, all higher than they should have been. Turns out he was adding on maintenance/insurance packages "that everyone likes" into the financed amount. He didn't disclose that until he basically called uncle, and gave up. The only reason she didn't get screwed and find out on the back side that she had these extra add-ons is because I was with her in the room and had brought my financial calculator. I'm not a Mensa member or rolling around in dollar bills for fun, but I had that plus a finance degree preventing her from getting the same treatment who knows how many other Steven victims got and never knew about.

As an aside, a fun thing to do whenever you buy a car is bring in a financial calculator to the room with the "finance" guy, and ask them what it is. I have yet to have one know what a financial calculator is.

Comment

That's hilarious!

My first-hand story with the Steven clan is helping to buy a car for my now-wife at Mike's VW dealership back in 2008. Got negotiations done (a story in and of itself, but in keeping with typical eyeroll experiences most have in same), and we were walked over to the finance guy. She was doing VW finance, not some subprime nonsense, so everything should have been on the up-and-up, relative. She wasn't a "payment buyer", but the F&I guy precedes to spit out three or four different payment amounts, in succession, over several minutes, that were far higher than they should have been - given the terms of the deal and the rate. Weird right? Amount financed, interest, and term were all established, but we were getting different numbers, all higher than they should have been. Turns out he was adding on maintenance/insurance packages "that everyone likes" into the financed amount. He didn't disclose that until he basically called uncle, and gave up. The only reason she didn't get screwed and find out on the back side that she had these extra add-ons is because I was with her in the room and had brought my financial calculator. I'm not a Mensa member or rolling around in dollar bills for fun, but I had that plus a finance degree preventing her from getting the same treatment who knows how many other Steven victims got and never knew about.

As an aside, a fun thing to do whenever you buy a car is bring in a financial calculator to the room with the "finance" guy, and ask them what it is. I have yet to have one know what a financial calculator is.
                                everyone seems to sell on payments.. i ALWAYS take a financial calculator with me (its on my phone). the best thing our non-finance friends could do is learn how to use one... i mean there are only six variables...

Number of payments (no more than 48)
                                Number of payments per year (12)
                                Interest Rate (annualized)
                                Present Value (amount financed)
                                Future Value (always 0)
                                Payment (solve for this)

go in educated.. they prey on those who don't know.

Comment

Working...
                                X