Wichita Auto Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
    Donovan GMC/Buick is very good in my opinion. Have felt with them several times.
    That seems a bit kinky but I can see where that might be a positive to some folks.

Comment

My brother is a long-time self-employed mechanic. As far as buying a car he didn't have much to say other than to avoid anything associated with the Stevens family. As far as service he is pretty much down on just about every dealership and can tell you horror stories on stuff he has seen over the years across the board.

I remember one example he told me about years ago was that he had a young lady bring her Toyota to him for second opinion after Eddy's quoted her a major repair at a major price. After listening to it he pulled the air cleaner cover and filter and found that someone had stuffed a rag in the air intake tube. The car owner had no idea how that would have happened. He pulled it out, the car fan fine, he didn't charge her anything although he may have gained a future customer.

That said he say the problems he sees with shoddy workmanship, partially due to pressure on the mechanics to work as fast as the can, work that wasn't necessary or wasn't the right work or outright dishonesty is pretty much across the board and he doesn't trust any of the dealers. Interestingly, he thinks luxury deal Walser is one of the worst. He knows of two cars just recently that came out of the shop with one have no oil in the engine and the other with a loose oil plug either came out or let all the oil drain. Both engines were ruined.

I guess the bottom line is buyer beware and don't trust anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

That seems a bit kinky but I can see where that might be a positive to some folks.
        Don't knock it 72...

Comment

Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post
          Davis Moore did right by me......after a couple days of negotiations
          I purchased a car thru Davis Moore recently, i was turned off by their negotiating tactics. They would not talk price over the phone. I had to go to the dealership to discuss. We went to the dealership but ended up walking out. I contacted dealerships in Kansas City and they were more than happy to make a deal over the phone. We were about to leave town to purchase when Davis Moore called me and gave me the price I was asking for. In this day and age, the old bargaining tactics are a big turn off to me.
          Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
          Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by capnkirk View Post

I purchased a car thru Davis Moore recently, i was turned off by their negotiating tactics. They would not talk price over the phone. I had to go to the dealership to discuss. We went to the dealership but ended up walking out. I contacted dealerships in Kansas City and they were more than happy to make a deal over the phone. We were about to leave town to purchase when Davis Moore called me and gave me the price I was asking for. In this day and age, the old bargaining tactics are a big turn off to me.
            They'll never get my business then. I only do online deals nowadays. I bought a Cadillac in Fayetteville, AR because they were $3k cheaper than ICT for same car.

Comment

Never had any problems with the Scholfield Buick or now with the Hatchett Buick I now own. Both dealerships have worked hard to make me happy. If I ever buy another car it may be through Costco however.

Comment

I will join the douchey striped overall crew at Creighton before I ever try to buy a car again at Rusty Eck.

Many years ago, I was looking for a car. I didn't have time to get a car on a particular night because the Shockers were playing, but I at least wanted to take a look to see what was out there. I went to Schofield Honda. They let me look around without bothering me too much. My budget was $10k at the very highest. They didn't have a whole lot within that budget, so they pointed out some cars that were $11k. Since I was pretty specific with my budget, it didn't annoy me because they could only show me what they had and so showing a bit over my budget wasn't annoying. Next, I went to Eddy's Toyota. Same story. Didn't have a whole lot, so they just showed me a couple cars that were a bit higher...but didn't push them on me. All good.

Then I went to Rusty Eck. An overaggressive sales lady first asked me what I wanted to spend per month. That was a bad sign, but I gave her an amount. She then showed me cars that fit that monthly payment...if I wanted to pay for the car for 5-7 years because the cars ran for about $15k. I was getting annoyed. Then, she pointed out a car that was within my budget but clearly not a car I wanted (two doors instead of four, mileage might have been higher than I wanted, just not a model that appealed to me). She really laid it on, saying how easy the transaction would be since I could pay cash. NO! That's not what I wanted. The final straw was after I slipped and said that money was coming from some life insurance headed my way which was going to pay for a good chunk of the car. She asked who died. Since I was already pissed, I should have told her it was none of her damn business but I told her it was from my dad's passing from six months prior. "Were you guys close?" Wrong question. He was only my hero and best buddy, so yeah, we were a little close. Who the hell asks a question like that?

I left because it was getting close to time to head for the game. As I walked out, another manager tried to stop me to see if I wanted to set up another appointment. I was like, "No, I'm good." I have not looked at another car at Rusty Eck since then.
                78-65

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  The folks that run Hatchett Hyundai West are great people. I have no idea if they are affiliated with any other Hatchett dealerships or what the other Hatchett location's reputation are.
                  I go there for service specifically because they are great back in the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                    I will join the douchey striped overall crew at Creighton before I ever try to buy a car again at Rusty Eck.

Many years ago, I was looking for a car. I didn't have time to get a car on a particular night because the Shockers were playing, but I at least wanted to take a look to see what was out there. I went to Schofield Honda. They let me look around without bothering me too much. My budget was $10k at the very highest. They didn't have a whole lot within that budget, so they pointed out some cars that were $11k. Since I was pretty specific with my budget, it didn't annoy me because they could only show me what they had and so showing a bit over my budget wasn't annoying. Next, I went to Eddy's Toyota. Same story. Didn't have a whole lot, so they just showed me a couple cars that were a bit higher...but didn't push them on me. All good.

Then I went to Rusty Eck. An overaggressive sales lady first asked me what I wanted to spend per month. That was a bad sign, but I gave her an amount. She then showed me cars that fit that monthly payment...if I wanted to pay for the car for 5-7 years because the cars ran for about $15k. I was getting annoyed. Then, she pointed out a car that was within my budget but clearly not a car I wanted (two doors instead of four, mileage might have been higher than I wanted, just not a model that appealed to me). She really laid it on, saying how easy the transaction would be since I could pay cash. NO! That's not what I wanted. The final straw was after I slipped and said that money was coming from some life insurance headed my way which was going to pay for a good chunk of the car. She asked who died. Since I was already pissed, I should have told her it was none of her damn business but I told her it was from my dad's passing from six months prior. "Were you guys close?" Wrong question. He was only my hero and best buddy, so yeah, we were a little close. Who the hell asks a question like that?

I left because it was getting close to time to head for the game. As I walked out, another manager tried to stop me to see if I wanted to set up another appointment. I was like, "No, I'm good." I have not looked at another car at Rusty Eck since then.
                    Sometimes used car sales people get a 'bad rap' and it's not always deserved... I agree, that would have been a terrible experience after the loss of your father; she was very inconsiderate... I'm guessing the lady didn't last long in the car business.

Doc reminded me of this classic in "Your best movies" thread...

There's a better movie clip, but not Shockernet friendly...

"Trust me!"

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
                      Donovan GMC/Buick is very good in my opinion. Have felt with them several times.
                      I'll second or third Donovan's, we use them at work for service on our vans and trucks. We've bought from both their commercial and retail sides for over 20 years. Wouldn't go to another dealer for a new GMC.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHillShocker View Post

I'll second or third Donovan's, we use them at work for service on our vans and trucks. We've bought from both their commercial and retail sides for over 20 years. Wouldn't go to another dealer for a new GMC.
                        "Take the Donovan drive!"

Decent commercial... "right dad!" :)

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHillShocker View Post

Robert took the reins from Les and is as honest and fair as I have found. Robert is a big Shocker fan and treats employees to games. Good egg!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Not the first time I have heard that.
                            oh if it weren't for confidentiality, i could tell one hell of a story. one good enough that the district attorney might want to hear about it.

Comment

got three pretty good stories..

1) went with a buddy a few weeks ago because his truck was making some funny noise while driving at 35-40mph after picking up his truck from rusty's... turns out they didn't tighten his lugs.. he was missing two and a third about to fall off the drivers side front. they fixed but wanted him to pay for the missing lugs... after a dirty look, rusty's ate their mistake. thankfully nobody was hurt.

2) had a client get capital "s" - screwed on a lease from eddy's... downright criminal, but i wasn't told in time to help.

3) my brother bought a vw passat from steven's vw.. took it back in for warranty work and was asked by the shop supervisor why there was internal damage in the trunk.. my brother was speechless as he didn't wreck/damage it.. turns out someone basically dropped it off the back of the auto transport when it was brought from the factory... steven falsified the records and fixed it in-house then sold it as a "new" vehicle with a squeeky clean record. a friend in the district attorney's office would have loved to have the case, but my brother lived in kc at the time and didn't want to mess with the hassle of distance investigation/court... steven bought the car back from him with a little bit of a premium.

what's worked for me.... i narrow the car that i'm interest in to a few... take the test drives and then hit the net for regional dealerships and the best price gets the deal. service can be done wherever you choose, warranty work can be done that way too... i'm just looking for the best price and the easiest deal, so for my last car, i sent 13 email to dealerships from louisville to denver, minneapolis to dallas... ended up visiting kc to pick up the car... seamless. was in and out in 25 minutes.

tips: have your financing lined up on your own

visit the dealership with a piece of paper with three makes/models on it.. as an example, if i wanted to consider a lexus rc350, nissan 370z, and a acura tl, i'd visit the lexus dealership with the list and let them know no decisions are being made today, just test driving.. drive em and decide.. then hit the net for the sharpest pencil.

don't be afraid to walk out.

know that each dealership has an internet department that would love to undercut the salesperson on the floor.. use them.

and always know... if you sit down to negotiate - you will lose. do you negotiating online - it saves time and hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post
                                what's worked for me.... i narrow the car that i'm interest in to a few... take the test drives and then hit the net for regional dealerships and the best price gets the deal. service can be done wherever you choose, warranty work can be done that way too... i'm just looking for the best price and the easiest deal, so for my last car, i sent 13 email to dealerships from louisville to denver, minneapolis to dallas... ended up visiting kc to pick up the car... seamless. was in and out in 25 minutes.

tips: have your financing lined up on your own

visit the dealership with a piece of paper with three makes/models on it.. as an example, if i wanted to consider a lexus rc350, nissan 370z, and a acura tl, i'd visit the lexus dealership with the list and let them know no decisions are being made today, just test driving.. drive em and decide.. then hit the net for the sharpest pencil.

don't be afraid to walk out.

know that each dealership has an internet department that would love to undercut the salesperson on the floor.. use them.

and always know... if you sit down to negotiate - you will lose. do you negotiating online - it saves time and hassle.

Exactly how I do it too. Before I send out my email to regional dealerships, I know exactly what I want by kicking the tires locally. So by that point it is just a bidding war between these dealerships. And I let them know upfront so they present best foot forward at first...there is little negotiation when they know they gotta go low from the outset.

Comment

Working...
                                X