Riverfront Legacy Masterplan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

I mean this in all sincerity: how do you know so much about all of these things? You have either worked in public policy locally or are a urban development junkie. Either way, I’m impressed by the depth of your opinions.
    I’m no one special, just work/have worked in commercial construction and RE. Oodles of people who know/connected more, rest assured.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

Because people need a vision. With just asking Wichitans for money...they'll vote for no money. Just look how hard they fought against a small sunset tax for the arena.
      This thread is the best true back-and-forth I've seen on downtown development. Folks are clearly demonstrating why there is so little confidence that the city will pull of a $1 billion investment that outshines the peer cities. There is critically low private or philanthropic dollars available to support this, meaning the brunt will fall to the taxpayers. Plus, there have been so many failed projects over the last 25 years that everyone surely has their right to antagonize. Not to mention 2,800 workers and their families are picking up the pieces while facing layoffs.

However, it is vitally important for the city to move forward with performing arts, conventions, hotels, bars, restaurants, gathering places, etc., etc. We cannot continue to fall further behind these peer cities. The economy is in desperate need of diversification and an injection of hope.

Make the $1 billion plan shine, go over the top to convince the naysayers. Find some additional private investment to take some of the burden off the taxpayers. Finish the west bank - ballpark and adjoining village - to regain some confidence. Give us something for everyone.

But my original thought still prevails: renovate CII like a UFO landed on top of it (a la Soldier Field in Chicago). The hard truth is that even before the ink is dry on this $1 billion, at least another $1 billion will be necessary to bring Wichita on par with the peers, and they're now planning their next $2-3 billion projects.

Comment

Definitely think it should move forward.

A little complaint though. Stop showing artists renderings on things that are not under consideration. There won’t be a river pool for folks to swim in, so why show it? The new baseball stadium had artists rendering of a Ferris wheel which lasted about a week. Show something approaching reality., especially with the current mistrust of the local city leaders (which I hope the Charmin Man is able to fix)

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
          60% needs to be funded through some type of tax with the remaining through philanthropy and private investment..

Not sure what else could possibly be done with CII. It’s lasted 50years, which is slightly less than that old architectural gem The Forum. I guess they could gut out the middle and make a fantastic air museum.. the current one is too far off the beaten trail, under marketed, too small, and unknown.

Wonder how many were in angst over the demise of The Forum
          Has anyone heard of private investment coming forward to save CII with a 1.5B investment in the East Bank Masterplan?
          Are these guys simpler to the Minnesota Guys but local?

Comment

Does CII have asbestos? If it does, nuke it.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post

Has anyone heard of private investment coming forward to save CII with a 1.5B investment in the East Bank Masterplan?
              Are these guys simpler to the Minnesota Guys but local?
              Would bet good money that’s a racket/ploy by the save C2 crowd. It looks so fake I fear for the gullibility of people who are actually taking it at face value.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Would bet good money that’s a racket/ploy by the save C2 crowd. It looks so fake I fear for the gullibility of people who are actually taking it at face value.
                Agree... Going to take Ruffin money (maybe even Koch)
                Cant see this happening.

Comment

Awww, don't worry about asbestos, most of it is contained by the lead based paint.

Comment

Call me crazy, but I would think if you're serious about spending a billion and a half bucks to buy a city owned building and the land it sits on to redevelop it into a major attraction, and the city is threatening to tear down said building, your FIRST call is to the city.

There's all kinds of things--from the crappy photoshop job on the proposal, to the as yet anonymous developers, to the backwards public announcement--that don't smell right about this situation. I don't think it's Kung Wu's asbestos.
                    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                      There's all kinds of things--from the crappy photoshop job on the proposal, to the as yet anonymous developers, to the backwards public announcement--that don't smell right about this situation. I don't think it's Kung Wu's asbestos.
                      It's probably the formaldehyde in the old wood panels and doors you are smelling.

Comment

Working...
                      X