New Joker Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

I don't know WTF is up with the negative critics on this movie. This is EXACTLY the kind of originality and depth they are always pining for. Well... on the originality issue... there is more than a little bit of Scorsese infused into this film. I did see Taxi Driver and it was great, but I never saw King of Comedy.

This is the kind of response I would have expected every single critic on the planet to offer regarding Joker.

P.S. The reviews from the "commoners" who have seen it are in agreement that it is magnificent. 89% on RT. It was 92% when it came out.

T

I just didn't think the story was particularly compelling. I think the story was told extremely well and like we've all said, JP was incredible. I wasn't surprised by any turn and it didn't leave me wanting more. Will I watch it again? On, tv at some point, sure. I won't be a regular, it's not a classic.

Comment

Study Hard hung on my wall. Just like the one at the Cedars

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I just didn't think the story was particularly compelling. I think the story was told extremely well and like we've all said, JP was incredible. I wasn't surprised by any turn and it didn't leave me wanting more. Will I watch it again? On, tv at some point, sure. I won't be a regular, it's not a classic.
        Personally Im trying to figure out exactly what was meant by "Original".

Havent seen it yet myself, just been way to busy. So ill probably wait for it show on Vudu or Amazon.

Comment

I snuck away from the office early this afternoon and finally got around to seeing this today.

This is one of those movies that makes you ask yourself, "what the f**** did I just see?" as you're walking away from the theater feeling like you've been punched in the stomach. But not in a I-want-my-money-back kind of way. It messes with your mind--makes you question your own sanity. You feel sorry for the Joker. You almost understand why he does what he does. Almost.

Joaquin Phoenix ought to get an Oscar nomination. Heath Ledger will probably always be considered the best Joker in the history of Jokers, but JP challenges HL and gets uncomfortably close to dethroning him.

As someone said earlier in the thread, the movie is SLOW. There basically is no action. It's not a thrill ride. But what it lacks in pace it makes up character development. This movie is a study of human mental illness thinly veiled as a comic book villain origin story.

In fact, there is nothing comic book about this movie. JP--I mean his character (yeah, he's that good)--is seriously f'd up. Seriously. I'm going home now and locking my doors.

"It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

I've literally watched this movie in the theater 3 times now. Everybody I've taken has been speechless upon exit. I do not believe Heath Ledger could hold Phoenix's jock strap on this one my friend. This is JP's magnum opus. A truly brilliant, brilliant, brilliant piece of acting.

Brilliant camera work.

Unbelievable score.

P.S. There are so many hidden things in this movie; you would be amazed (e.g. all the clocks are stopped at 11:11 except the final one in the dressing room which is 10:40 - likely hitting 11:11 when Arthur finishes what he came to the show to do). Did he ever even physically leave the mental facility?

Jeremiah 11:11: Therefore, thus says the LORD, Behold, I am bringing disaster upon them that they cannot escape. Though they cry to me, I will not listen to them.

P.P.S. Partway through the 2nd showing I was second-guessing my actions. But after a couple weeks I took a date to a 3rd showing and got my 2nd wind. I do believe I am through with the Joker now though. Homeland Security has likely put me on a watchlist at this point. It will be at least 5-10 years (maybe never) before another movie is made that approaches this work of art. To be totally clear: when I refer to this movie as a masterpiece, I am in no way attributing that claim to the subject matter. My personal delight is based on the script, directing, camerawork, acting, and musical score. This is the type of cinematic experience that has a nearly endless experiential depth for those capable of sensory input beyond the "norm".

T

Comment

Working...
            X