Official Foodie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buster's Saloon - Sun City.

A little further away, about 2 hours, but an ideal "off the beaten path" place.
    Last edited by NCAABound; June 20, 2019, 02:35 PM. Reason: Not exactly sure how to post a link. It kept telling me invalid URL, then just posted a generic Tripadvisor link. Weird. Guess copy & paste doesn't work.

Comment

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      Took that drive through the gyp hills a couple of years ago when I went to the Wilmore area; well worth the drive and a beautiful stretch of Kansas. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to stop at Buster's, but will the next time I'm in the area.

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      The Bunker Hill Cafe was a great not so off the beaten path "off the beaten path" place with I was said to see close in 2017. It is just off I-70 a little east of Russell so not so off the beaten path but no one would ever guess there was a terrific restauarant there.

I trust someone will give us a review of the “Old Spaghetti Works” once tried.

Comment

For breakdfast or lunch the Firehouse Cafe in Hutchinson is quite good and the portions are very generous but it can be very busy. No need to dress up. They are not fancy at all. Think of the Doo Dah Diner in an old firehouse.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...on_Kansas.html
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 25, 2019, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
        Cy's Hoof and Horn Supper Club, Sedgwick

The Barn, Burrton

Dine in Burrton, Kansas where you can enjoy classic Kansan cuisine at the state's new favorite restaurant, theBarn! Enjoy our famous Chicken Fried Steak today!

Recently had breakfast at The Barn in Burrton; best breakfast I've had (maybe ever) in a long time… I'm telling you, it's well worth the drive. I had the 'Chicken Little' with sausage patties (killer!), but the 'Big Rooster' might be the way to go and best value. You'll be good until the next morning... their pancakes (flapjacks) are huge (that's what she said) and the prices are very reasonable.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          I have had The Barn on my list for some time now. I have a grandson who is in middle school at Pretty Prairie which is in the same athletic league as Burrton and I need to work that in to one of his games at Burrton.

If you are ever in the Ottawa area and you like barbeque I highly recommend Smoked Creations.

Smoked meat. Caterers. Restaurant. Delivery available. Visit us to learn about our veteran and senior discounts.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...oiowC3oECAoQBg

If you don't have room for desert be sure to get a to-go order of the raspberry cinnamon suger donuts drizzled in caramel.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 25, 2019, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
          EB 22 Hey do you have a link to your blog? Also, is there any hidden gems in the towns around Wichita, small mom and pop joints, that you can think of? We’ve mentioned Cys and The Barn which are more full service food/bar night time places. I will definitely try the place in Winfield.

Is the Beaumont Hotel Restaurant still decent?
          Wichita By E.B. is free resource for restaurant reviews, dining suggestions, local business highlights, event, things to do away from home and anything Wichita.

Many people swear by Shindigs in wellington but I thought it was just decent. Ambiance though is great. They did a great job with the place.

If you want a real mom mom and pop feel, check out Hank Is Wiser brewery in Cheney. Good bbq and beer

============

Reviewing the best establishments and restaurants in Wichita
          www.wichitabyeb.com

Comment

St Micheals Chicharon

Best pork rinds ever. They go great with a Coors.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

As a Wichita State graduate, I'm continually amazed at all the transformations and changes taking place on campus. I return there often whether it's for

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Good post @WstateU.

However...

"All opinions of their food aside".

Did I miss the those opinions EB 22 ?

Comment

I think Lolo's is a food truck so this is probably at the food truck plaza. Coach Ewa is a good as any of our WSU coaches in promoting the Shocker brand. And as much, probably more, than any other coach she has an international reach.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Good post @WstateU.

However...

"All opinions of their food aside".

Did I miss the those opinions EB 22 ?

I should have clarified more, I think Fuzzys is very polarizing. People either really hate or really like their food.
                  ============

www.wichitabyeb.com

Comment

500+ restaurants in Wichita and I’ve narrowed down which one is my favorite.

Since the very start of this blog back in 2011, I've been asked a question that has gone unanswered this whole time: What is your favorite restaurant in
                    ============

www.wichitabyeb.com

Comment

Originally posted by EB 22 View Post
                      500+ restaurants in Wichita and I’ve narrowed down which one is my favorite.

https://www.wichitabyeb.com/2019/08/...f-wichita.html
                      Went to Lola's this week for the first time. Kind of an odd setting but it's quaint and relaxing. Service was outstanding although you should probably expect great service in such a small setting (and they weren't that full).

I was more impressed than my wife. The pork belly bao buns were insanely good. Food shouldn't be that good. Could have had 7 orders of those and been happy, and I just might someday.

The beef cheek raviolis were super, but the rare duck breast brought tears to my eyes. Incredible.

Good times and I certainly will be returning.

Comment

on a bbq run today in kc... so i thought that i'd list my 5 favorite bbq joints. sorry, none are in wichita.

1) terry blacks on barton springs road in austin - brisket is definitely king here, especially the moist end is the best and most consistent that i've ever had. ribs were okay, jalapeno sausage was on point. other than not having fries, the sides are amazing - especially the mac & cheese and bacon green beans. i don't know about the sauce here becuase the bbq is so good, i've never added sauce. be prepared to wait a while, the line last time i was there was about an hour.

2) joe's kc bbq - best ribs i've ever had. burnt ends are on point, and the pulled pork is among the best i've tried. variety of sauces, and the fries a like crack - very addicting. be prepared to wait. the line today looks to be about an hour and a half.

3) franklin's in austin - brisket is defnitely king here, but so is the pulled pork. sauce is pretty damn good too.

4) sweet georgia browns in dallas - come hungry. mrs sharif and i shared a meal that came in a styrofoam container. we tried the brisket (not as good as those above but really good) and the smoked sausage. The sides were amazing! Greens and cheddar broccoli & rice.

5) lockhart's smokehouse on davis street, dallas - everything that i've tried here is really good, but not the best. a better way of saying is that they do everything well, but nothing spectacular. ribs were meaty and well trimmed, brisket was juicy and not overdone, and the pulled chicken was amazing with their spicy sauce.

Comment

• Kung Wu
                          Kung Wu commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Have you tried When Pigs Fly out west? It's VERY good.

Kung Wu i have given ‘when pigs fly’ in 2016 and 2017 i think. the ribs were a little chewier than i care for and the brisket was dry. the sides i tried were good.

i use a three strike system and they have struck twice. it’s almost like i’m afraid to go back because after a third strike i’ll never go back. if the next visit is good, they’ll have one strike. meeting a friend next fri from outta town, will suggest it for lunch.

Comment

Working...
                        X