No announcement yet.

Should KU & KSU join the MVC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kansas is a desirable school not only because of basketball, but because they have the potential to drive ratings, people in Farmington, NM would know it was Kansas by simply looking at the insignia on their helmet, they have an $80,000,000 budget, are the flagship university of the state (Like it or not) and have the potential to do other things like drive tee shirt sales nationally.

KU tee shirts that have a conference insignia also generate royalties to the conference and NCAA. So yes, tee shirt sales outside of the state of Kansas are a factor.
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• I simply disagree. Do you really think KU sells a lot of t-shirts nationally? The thing I think people don't want to admit is this; everyone is saying KSU has no national base and no fans or respect outside of Wildcat nation, fine, that is true. However, in my opinion, because 75% of the country lives near the coast, those people lump everyone around here together as a bunch of hay-seeds and bumpkins, no matter whether you are a fan or KU, WSU, KSU, NU, whoever, the people on the coast, which is most of America, all look at us the same. They might say, "Kansas has a decent basketball team, or NU has a decent football team," but they still consider us all hayseeds, so to say KU has some national reputation, yes they do in basketball, but they are not going to sell many shirts in Farmington NM. I also believe that the Powercat has a brand around the country. People recognize the Powercat because of Bill Snyder and Frank Martin, etc. In this conference realignment mess, KU, if more desirable, is only slightly more desirable because of basketball, but their football team is a joke, with absolutely no fan base as soon as things go poorly. I cannot imagine a Big 10 or SEC or even the PAC large is going to want to send Bama, Florida, Auburn, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, to good ole Memorial Stadium to play in front of no fans after they all leave after the end of the 1st quarter shouting "wait until basketball."

Comment

• I would love to see a poll on this.....
        I would be shocked if more than 75% of the people didnt' agree with MVJ.
        Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John
          Kansas is a desirable school not only because of basketball, but because they have the potential to drive ratings, people in Farmington, NM would know it was Kansas by simply looking at the insignia on their helmet, they have an $80,000,000 budget, are the flagship university of the state (Like it or not) and have the potential to do other things like drive tee shirt sales nationally.

KU tee shirts that have a conference insignia also generate royalties to the conference and NCAA. So yes, tee shirt sales outside of the state of Kansas are a factor.
          HOLY COW JOHN! You really know how to win friends and influence people. It's OK when you come to ShockerNet and rundown the K-State Mildcats. But telling us that ChickenHawk U is the flagship university of the state (like it or not) is going to far my friend.
          :)
          "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• Originally posted by GorHoops
            And exactly which conference is going to want KU but not KSU? SEC, no chance, that is a football driven league, KU does not have the stadium or add anything football related to the SEC. Big 10, again, I highly doubt they accept anyone who brings zero to their football conference, especially a 50,000 seat crappy stadium. PAC 12, doubt it, they want the OK and TX schools. KU and KSU are going to the Big East, and both schools are wanted by the Big East, not just KU. People think KU is wanted in this because of bball, but if you think that, you aren't paying attention. People think KU delivers the KC market, but in football, KSU out-ratings KU in Kansas City. Missouri is attractive to the SEC and B10 because of a 70,000 seat stadium and a football program trending upward, KU is not. Feel sorry for KU all you want, but they are only slightly more attractive than KSU in this whole deal. Bash me if you want, but it is true.
            I don't know what stadiums has to do with this. Kansas's Memorial Stadium may be a bit run down, but it is a bowl configuration and seats roughly the same as Kansas's States. And their configuration allows much more expansion than Kansas State's. In fact, Kansas State has already expanded one side to get over 50,000, that limits future expansion opportunities. Kansas can add upper decks on both sides, plus one endzone, as well as, going higher on the endzone with the bowl. It would be much easier to expand that stadium to 80,000 than it would Kansas State's. But since you brought stadiums into the equation, I've been to all of them, and if stadiums were a serious criteria, I'd take Iowa State's over either Kansas or Kansas State. It is already bigger (56,000) nicer and not only can it be expanded, they have long range plans to do so. Here is a current photo, along with a rendering of expansion.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Plus, if you want to talk about run down, crappy stadiums, Nebraska has the worst. Period. It's not stopping them from expanding to 95,000. If it were my choice, I'd bulldoze the S.O.B.

So no, who has a crappy stadium has little to do with it. The potential to fill it at better than $10 a pop, does.

Comment

• Originally posted by ripemupshocks
                Originally posted by MoValley John
                Kansas is a desirable school not only because of basketball, but because they have the potential to drive ratings, people in Farmington, NM would know it was Kansas by simply looking at the insignia on their helmet, they have an $80,000,000 budget, are the flagship university of the state (Like it or not) and have the potential to do other things like drive tee shirt sales nationally.

HOLY COW JOHN! You really know how to win friends and influence people. It's OK when you come to ShockerNet and rundown the K-State Mildcats. But telling us that ChickenHawk U is the flagship university of the state (like it or not) is going to far my friend.
                :)

I know. I didn't start this to simply make friends, I'm just telling the truth, like it or not.

Comment

And exactly which conference is going to want KU but not KSU? SEC, no chance, that is a football driven league, KU does not have the stadium or add anything football related to the SEC. Big 10, again, I highly doubt they accept anyone who brings zero to their football conference, especially a 50,000 seat crappy stadium. PAC 12, doubt it, they want the OK and TX schools. KU and KSU are going to the Big East, and both schools are wanted by the Big East, not just KU. People think KU is wanted in this because of bball, but if you think that, you aren't paying attention. People think KU delivers the KC market, but in football, KSU out-ratings KU in Kansas City. Missouri is attractive to the SEC and B10 because of a 70,000 seat stadium and a football program trending upward, KU is not. Feel sorry for KU all you want, but they are only slightly more attractive than KSU in this whole deal. Bash me if you want, but it is true.
                  This!

Let's look at all the talk from KU, or the SEC, or the Big Ten, or the Pac 12 or any other BCS conference, remind me which ones are clamoring for KU?

I hear Mizzou mentioned, I hear Okie and Okie state, I hear texas, tech and a&m. Wait, I'm still looking; looks like no one is after KU. I don't remember KU being mentioned as a player last year in the realignment talks, and have not heard of them being mentioned this year.

KU is more attractive than KSU and WSU ONLY in a conference that is concerned primarily with basketball, and that isn't any of the "super conferences" that are being discussed.

Comment

I simply disagree. Do you really think KU sells a lot of t-shirts nationally?
                    They must do something as KU outspends K-Moo's athlethic budget by almost 50%

KU - ~$60,000,000
                    K-Moo ~$40,00,000

Comment

I cannot imagine a Big 10 or SEC or even the PAC large is going to want to send Bama, Florida, Auburn, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, to good ole Memorial Stadium to play in front of no fans after they all leave after the end of the 1st quarter shouting "wait until basketball."
                      Then I guess you have a pretty hard time imagining Indiana being part of the Big 10 then.

The bigger problem for KSU is the fact that their football program being more attractive than KU's football program is meaningless, because neither program is attractive enough, nor their media markets large enough, to guarantee them a place in the BCS landscape.

While neither is a BCS lock because of football, at least KU, like Indiana, Duke, Syracuse, etc. can point to a nationally recognized basketball program that translates into better basketball media deals for the conference.

Being a major player in basketball is less significant than being a major player in football in these deals, but since neither school is a major player in football (even if KSU is a less minor player) KU is in a better position. That doesn't mean that KSU is doomed to be left out, or is a bad sports school, just that, while both KU and KSU are in a tenuous position, KSU's is more tenuous.
                      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                        Originally posted by GorHoops
                        I cannot imagine a Big 10 or SEC or even the PAC large is going to want to send Bama, Florida, Auburn, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, to good ole Memorial Stadium to play in front of no fans after they all leave after the end of the 1st quarter shouting "wait until basketball."
                        Then I guess you have a pretty hard time imagining Indiana being part of the Big 10 then.

The bigger problem for KSU is the fact that their football program being more attractive than KU's football program is meaningless, because neither program is attractive enough, nor their media markets large enough, to guarantee them a place in the BCS landscape.

While neither is a BCS lock because of football, at least KU, like Indiana, Duke, Syracuse, etc. can point to a nationally recognized basketball program that translates into better basketball media deals for the conference.

Being a major player in basketball is less significant than being a major player in football in these deals, but since neither school is a major player in football (even if KSU is a less minor player) KU is in a better position. That doesn't mean that KSU is doomed to be left out, or is a bad sports school, just that, while both KU and KSU are in a tenuous position, KSU's is more tenuous.
                        +1.

But I still don't think KU, or even Mizzou for that matter, is in that bad of a spot. Not exactly where they want to be, but not in the spot Kansas State is in.

Comment

• GorHoops wrote:

yeah they do. I live on the east coast and I find KU shirts and hats dont see anything from KState.

When you think of basketball you think of Duke, UNC, and KU. They consisently get #1 seeds in the NCAA tournament

Comment

• Originally posted by vtshocker
                            GorHoops wrote:

yeah they do. I live on the east coast and I find KU shirts and hats dont see anything from KState.

When you think of basketball you think of Duke, UNC, and KU. They consisently get #1 seeds in the NCAA tournament
                            I wasn't going to get too much into this, but yeah, KU sells a boatload of gear, nationally.

An easy way to judge, the next time you are in Tijuana, Mexico, look for the counterfeit college and pro gear. You will find Yankees gear, you won't find Brewers gear. You will find Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Kansas, Duke, UCLA, North Carolina and Miami gear, you won't find Kansas State of Mizzou gear. I've been there, I've bought the cheap gear. You can find Kansas basketball gear in TJ, you cannot find any K-State gear. Give them a little credit, Mexicans in Tijuana know what sells, fake Rolex sells, his virgin sister sells, KU basketball gear sells. Kansas State, not so much.

Comment

• I've been waiting to get my hands on an Eco Cat T-shirt. Can you buy those on the east coast or Mexico?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerGorilla
                                I've been waiting to get my hands on an Eco Cat T-shirt. Can you buy those on the east coast or Mexico?
                                $10! Just for you! She's my seester and she's a vergen!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X