Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHOXAAC
    replied
    Stop your belly aching SN. Next June take in the Korn Ferry Tour at Crestview, then top it off by going to a Fart game that night. Now that's a full day people.

Leave a comment:

• WstateU
    replied
    I was in the 'Doo Dah Dusters' camp, but 'Wichita Whirlwinds' or even 'Dirt Devils' seems more logical. The marketing campaign will be critical... hope they have a solid plan.

Leave a comment:

• NCAABound
    replied
    Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

Natural grass is probably an MLB requirement
    Most teams prefer to use the same surface as their parent club, so they learn on a consistent field up through the minors.

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    I had to laugh last night. When I got home I asked my wife if she had heard the name selected for the new AAA baseball team. She had not. I tried not to give away what I thought about it. I just told her it was the Wind Surge. She said the Wind what? Surge? Why don't they just call them the farts. I had to really laugh at that reaction, but then I realized maybe that was more a commentary on living with me for 48 years than anything.

Leave a comment:

• ShockBand
    replied
    My idea of SkyRiders would work even with the Pegasus logo...

and I think CropDusters would actually work out fine! So would Sodbusters and Barnstormers. In thinking about radar, heck, even the Wichita Dopplers is better than this dingy WindSurge name.

Edit additional thoughts: Stormers. Thunderheads. Cutters (as in cutting wheat).

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post
    As long as we are going down the fart names, honest to god, the Crop Dusters would have been a fantastic choice. Aviation and agriculture... and just funny.
    Or perhaps the Cow Chips in honor of our cowtown heritage.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 14, 2019, 10:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WichitaStateGuy
    replied
    As long as we are going down the fart names, honest to god, the Crop Dusters would have been a fantastic choice. Aviation and agriculture... and just funny.

Leave a comment:

• Walker
    replied

No matter what they made the mascot, they wouldn't be able to make everybody happy but this is such a fail of epic proportions. Did they do any market research to test the waters with this? This is even more frustrating considering we had to wait for this after the whole confusing, weekly fake name reveal. They made it seem like the fans would be involved in this.

I'm thankful we have a AAA team and a couple of the hats are okay but dammit, why this?

Leave a comment:

• Wuzee
    replied
    I was initially in the WTF? category, but now I've moved to "meh." Not what I was hoping for with the recent spate of awesome team names (Rocket City Trash Pandas leaps immediately to mind). The uniform sets and hats look really nice though. Alternate name possibilities will likely revolve around the horse. Sky Stallions? Maybe "Los Caballos de Cielo" for the Copa de la Diversion games?

Leave a comment:

• small tyme baller
    replied
    This one is tough for me to stomach. I had some high hopes & have been extremely excited to get affiliated baseball back to Wichita... Grew up watching the Wranglers, attending games, etc. Couple that with the fact that the teasers names were ALL better than the finalized name & it's extremely disappointing. (Not saying the teasers were great, but better than the final product).

The name is absolutely atrocious... Wind Surge. First, is it one word or two? Second, has anyone ever heard the term Wind Surge used organically in the English language even once? Wind I get, but Surge is one of the roughest/uncatchy names I've ever heard. It's not phrenetic, doesn't play on alliteration like River Riders & just doesn't roll off the tongue. I coulda lived with Wind Sox but Wind Surge is corny, lame or insert any other adj you'd like.

Names I woulda liked: 29ers, Bombers, Aviators, Wind Sox, River Riders, Meadowlarks, Larks, Dusters

Then you look at all the online polls from people like the Lutz's, Taylor Eldridge, others around Wichita … the name is usually polling around 80% dislike/hate, 10%-15% like, 0%-5% meh. That shows that whomever was involved in the decision making process either had the worst focus group of all-time, were so detached from reality and/or had only "Yes Men" surrounding them. What a shame.

Lastly, since I was a kid, I've amassed an ungodly amount of NBC Baseball/Minor League/NCAA apparel for the unique logos/team names/etc … and with that being said, I wouldn't pay a dime on any of the apparel listed. The logo is a W with a Pegasus lmfao … one of the lamest logos I've ever seen. Reminds me of a 12u Little League team. And, I read the print out on why the Pegasus was picked, why the team colors were picked & all I could do is smgdh. Yeah, I'm all-in on Wichita revitalization & encouraged by the strides made by DT in the past few years, but a Pegasus isn't baseball, it isn't representative or Wichita and should be used by the local quidditch team or jousting club. The font for the W is garbage. The team colors I'm perfectly fine with, I enjoy the look of the new stadium, but I've decided against season tickets now & won't be purchasing any apparel. Has this affected how many games I'll go to this year? Yes. Will I still attend games? Yes, but versus teams I actually root for … OKC, Omaha, etc.

For anyone curious or want to talk dope MiLB/NBC gear they own:

Some of my favorite gear -- Montgomery Biscuits, Birmingham Barons, Carolina Mudcats, Durham Bulls, Bowie Bay Sox, Pawtucket Red Sox, Vero Beach Dodgers, Boise Hawks, OKC Dodgers, Springfield Cardinals, Lexington Legends, Jackson Generals, Danville Braves, Gwinnett Stripers, Anchorage Glacier Pilots, Liberal Bee Jays, El Dorado Broncos, Santa Barbara Foresters, Cotton State All-Stars

Leave a comment:

• Veritas
    replied
    WBJ survey with limited sample size of 124 shows 91% dislike the name while 31% like the colors and logo.
    colors are ok with me, but don’t care for the rest.
    would have liked Wind Sox, Flying Monkeys, Wicked, and about 50 other names.

They will shorten the name to Surge and replace Pegasus with a flying monkey in order to provide a better mascot.

i do think the stadium will be pretty nice now that it’s all coming together.

looking forward to catching a few Surge games when I’m in Wichita.

Leave a comment:

• DUShock
    replied
    Did someone’s elementary schooler discover a thesaurus and replace gust with surge?

Leave a comment:

• DUShock
    replied
    #PurgeTheSurge

Leave a comment:

• mattdalt
    replied
    Originally posted by WstateU View Post

... and Natural Gas!

That apparently is a @wichitabaseball2020 naming requirement

Leave a comment:

• ShockerFever
    replied
    Can't even describe the level of FAIL with this one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X