Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock Top
    replied
    Sounds like it’s Double-A baseball coming to ICT.

At least they’re enjoyed an undefeated season in their lone year in Triple-A.

Leave a comment:

• Rocky Mountain Shock
    replied
    It figures that one of 2020's casualties might be Wichita's AAA affiliation. I swear the city can't catch a break. It always seems there's either internal or external forces that hinder any effort it tries to better itself.

Leave a comment:

• ShockTalk
    replied
    Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
    MLB has taken over control of the minor league system and has begun making some significant changes. Largely, they are eliminating a lot of teams by getting rid of leagues, such has Low A/High A and just aiming to have A, AA and AAA. Wages are terrible for a lot of those players, so eliminating some of these leagues should allow for resources to be focused on developing guys at the other levels who might actually make the MLB.

Along with reducing teams, MLB wants to eliminate affiliations with cities that are nowhere near each other. So, Miami's AAA team is rumored to be heading to Jacksonville. There is a lot that could happen with trying to get teams closer. Colorado's AA affiliate is in Hartford, Connecticut, so one rumor has that as a possible replacement. Milwaukee has teams in Arizona, Texas and North Carolina, so Wichita is closer than all of those. Nothing's been announced officially anywhere in the minor league realm.
    Washington Nationals AAA team is located in California. AA teams all stay close to their league mates, so that may be more important than being closer to the home club. Don't know if KC would entertain Wichita rather than Springdale, AR for it's AA as the difference in distance is of no importance, but our metro area is around a third larger (640,000 vs 460,000). I'm also pretty certain that Arkansas is St Louis Cardinal territory.

Leave a comment:

• ArtVandalay
    replied
    MLB has taken over control of the minor league system and has begun making some significant changes. Largely, they are eliminating a lot of teams by getting rid of leagues, such has Low A/High A and just aiming to have A, AA and AAA. Wages are terrible for a lot of those players, so eliminating some of these leagues should allow for resources to be focused on developing guys at the other levels who might actually make the MLB.

Along with reducing teams, MLB wants to eliminate affiliations with cities that are nowhere near each other. So, Miami's AAA team is rumored to be heading to Jacksonville. There is a lot that could happen with trying to get teams closer. Colorado's AA affiliate is in Hartford, Connecticut, so one rumor has that as a possible replacement. Milwaukee has teams in Arizona, Texas and North Carolina, so Wichita is closer than all of those. Nothing's been announced officially anywhere in the minor league realm.

Leave a comment:

• Veritas
    replied
    For the locals, what is the latest about Wichita being downgraded to AA ball? Understand there is no longer a contract with Miami as their AAA team.

Leave a comment:

• pogo
    replied
    Riverside field in Delano Park near the riverfront and just down the hill from College Hill but still close to down town Doo Dah. I would ask if everyone is happy with this name but I know that can never happen

Leave a comment:

• Rocky Mountain Shock
    replied
    Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Actually they named it Riverfront Stadium.
    That’s what I meant to type. My bad, I’ll fix my original post.

Leave a comment:

• SHOCKvalue
    replied

For now...

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

That was exactly my thought as well. Or Delano Field. But "Riverside Stadium" is so underwhelming, like everything else in this project.

I'm surprised they couldn't or didn't get naming rights for the entire stadium, but I shouldn't be.

Leave a comment:

• Rocky Mountain Shock
    replied
    Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
    Delano Ballpark

Is it really that hard?
    That was exactly my thought as well. Or Delano Field. But "Riverfront Stadium" is so underwhelming, like everything else in this project.

I'm surprised they couldn't or didn't get naming rights for the entire stadium, but I shouldn't be.
    Last edited by Rocky Mountain Shock; March 8, 2020, 07:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ShockerFever
    replied
    You can always sell naming rights to the "Field" like they did in Cincinnati. Cinergy Field at Riverfront Stadium.

I would would have thought Riverside Stadium would have been a better choice in Wichita since we have the Riverside Neighborhood nearby plus it doesn't look like were just ripping off someone else's branding.

I will say that on a day like today the Wind Surge does seem more appropriate but I still fell like we could have done much better with a name.

Calling it "something" Stadium would be so low-rent Wichita. Just like we did with "something" Arena. Nobody calls basketball venues arenas anymore and nobody calls baseball venues stadiums anymore. They call them Parks or Fields. Sometimes I think these leaders live in a time-stopping bubble.

Leave a comment:

• ShockerFever
    replied
    Originally posted by ShauXTyme View Post
    To me, Riverfront Stadium is pretty decent. Better than having a sponsored name that changes every 5-10 years.
    This ain't the 80's anymore. It sounds little league.

Leave a comment:

• RoyalShock
    replied
    Delano Ballpark

Is it really that hard?
    Ummm, that's what sh . . . .

No, I can't.

Leave a comment:

• WstateU
    replied
    Delano Ballpark

Is it really that hard?
    Clip #4: ... that unlocks the door to the greatest treasure on earth.

Leave a comment:

• SHOCKvalue
    replied
    Delano Ballpark

Is it really that hard?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X