Poll: Wichita State Name Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

History repeating itself. Does this mean restitution of football?
    Next logical step!
    The Assman

Comment

NVM. Double post.
      The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

History repeating itself. Does this mean restitution of football?
        Yes please...

Comment

Interesting that 65% are for a name change. That's a pretty solid score even with a low sample size.
          Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Hope that's enough for Bardo to pull the trigger!
            The Assman

Comment

• Shock Top
              Shock Top commented
              Editing a comment
              Hope my figure of speech doesn't offend anybody. (or maybe I do ;))

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
            So, now I think it’s offically:

Name: University of Wichita (Short: Wichita)
            Initals: WU

I dig it.
            If it is the University of Wichita then it is UW (it will just be ala Evansville EU vs UE). Don't like it.

I think you are wasting all build-up of branding that you have accomplished through baseball in the 90's and now with the Marshall era with WSU.

Comment

From Wikipedia
              1886 - "Young Ladies College", "Wichita Ladies College", and "Congregational Female College".
              1887 - "Fairmount College"
              1892 - "Fairmount Institute"
              1926 - "Municipal University of Wichita" (called "Wichita University)
              1964 - "Wichita State University" (WSU)

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

If it is the University of Wichita then it is UW (it will just be ala Evansville EU vs UE). Don't like it.

I think you are wasting all build-up of branding that you have accomplished through baseball in the 90's and now with the Marshall era with WSU.

Why is it automatically UW??

Originally posted by Shockerman View Post
                Agreed 100%. Its time to drop the State from our name and become the "University of Wichita." However to keep with the tradition of Midwest Universities and backwards aabbreviations, we should be WU. KU is the University of Kansas, CU is the University of Colorado, MU is the University of Missouri, OU is the University of Oklahoma, TU is the University of Tulsa, etc. Besides, Washington pretty much owns the UW (u-dub) so sticking with WU gives us a little separation. It will be of little importance though because we would just be Wichita going forward. Nobody calls Memphis, Cinci, Lousville, Houston, Tulsa etc by their abbreviated letters.

Comment

• Shock Top
                  Shock Top commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Because SB doesn’t like it!! ;)

I should have added another option:

Kansas Institute of Technology

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  I should have added another option:

Kansas Institute of Technology
                  I thought that belonged or was tried at Fort Hays State?

Comment

• Kung Wu
                    Kung Wu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh really, I have not heard of that.

• Shock Top
                    Shock Top commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Kansas Tech? That could work for Hays.

Though, I’ve always been partial to Harvard of the High Plains!

A quote I found about the former president of University of Memphis, talking about the name change from Memphis State.

”...It became kind of a festive thing. It was meant to be a statement that we had graduated to a new level."
                  Kind of think a similar effect could be had here. Even if it’s only a cosmetic change, it could still be an effective one.
                  The Assman

Comment

It would be interesting if we could somehow poll the entire Alumni Association.

The problem with doing a City wide poll is you would have a lot of chickenhawks and K-Stater's trying to muddy the water with no votes (obviously that name change would be a mild threat to their brand).

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      It would be interesting if we could somehow poll the entire Alumni Association.

The problem with doing a City wide poll is you would have a lot of chickenhawks and K-Stater's trying to muddy the water with no votes (obviously that name change would be a mild threat to their brand).
                      those-bastards.jpg

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Uh, no it wouldn’t. Did you read any of this thread?

Baseball has already been placed in has-been status. The AD doesn’t care about it so who cares?

As with Marshall, the brand isn’t harmed at all. It just makes us look more big time. I don’t think Memphis was harmed with their change.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

If you have "state" in your name, and you're not in the P5, it is more or less a sign of mid-major irrelevance.

Outside of us, the AAC has zero schools with "state" as part of their name. The A-10 has zero. The MWC has a few, but they are big schools with fairly established brands.

On the other hand, in the MVC there are three; in the Sun Belt four; in the Horizon three... so and so forth.

Which side of the line of demarcation do we want to be on, branding wise?

Comment

Working...
                          X