Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UConn Women at Stanford

ESPN2 has the game.

It looks like the UConn women's 90 game win streak could end. There's around 2:30 left in the game and they're down by 8.

The streak is over.

Final score: Stanford 71, UConn 59

Comment

UConn never led in the game. Stanford was also the last team to beat UConn before this one.

Comment

Interesting game.

Is there another team that has the players and discipline to make Maya Moore have a night that bad (5-15 FG, 4-11 3PT, 0-1 FT)? Or at least make her seem mortal.

If Jeanette Pohlen has an off night (8-15, 5-9, 10-10), does UConn manage to win anyway?

Stanford played very well, UConn never adjusted and Stanford earned a well-deserved win.

Comment

A great accomplishment by the UConn women comes to an end. It was not the prettiest of games, but Standord was definitely the better team on its home court last night.

The parrallels with UCLA's 88 game streak that Notre Dame ended in 1974 are pretty interesting. Notre Dame was the last team to beat UCLA before ending the streak. Stanford was the last team to beat UConn before the streak.

Interestingly Notre Dame also book-ened Oklahoma football's 47 game winning streak in early 1950's and Stanford also book-ended Penn State Volleyball's recent 109 match winning streak.

What it tells me is that the Women's game is about 35 years behind the men's game in terms of parity. Whether or not parity will ever develop to the extent it has in the men's game remains to be seen. And I won't be around 35 years from now to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose
            Is there another team that has the players and discipline to make Maya Moore have a night that bad (5-15 FG, 4-11 3PT, 0-1 FT)? Or at least make her seem mortal.
            UConn was very fortunate to get by Baylor earlier in the year.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
              Originally posted by flyingMoose
              UConn was very fortunate to get by Baylor earlier in the year.
              I have thought about that. That was essentially UConn's first game (preceded by three "exhibition" opponents, two of which were labeled as such), so that was the first "real" game for the young pups, principally Bria Hartley who stepped up big late in the game. Baylor had finished a three-game tournament against light opposition in Waco just two days earlier. If that game were played today ... ?

UConn is the least experienced (I think) of any of the teams in the conversation for winning the NCAAs, but they also have Maya Moore. Can they develop an inside presence by March? Of course, other teams will improve too. It will be fun to follow.

When I am not following the progress of the Shocks. :)

Comment

Scores of the Week:

#14 Notre Dame squeezed by SE Missouri State 97 - 21.

#12 Ohio State 86 - Bethune Cookmn 38.

That's gotta sting little.

Comment

Working...
                X