Lady Shocks v UNI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady Shocks v UNI

The start of the weekend series has been moved to today at 3pm due to the expected bad weather. Will that be early enough?

WICHITA, Kan.- Due to the mix of snow and ice accumulation, the remaining games of the Wichita State softball team's series with UNI has been cancelled.

As a reminder, the Shocks were picked sixth preseason and the Panthers were picked third.

UNI is 12-11 on the season. Scores of interest are Creighton (0-4 at ASU tourney), Missouri (0-3), Oklahoma State (0-8, 5-7) and Tulsa (8-0).

Let the conference begin.

I think I still remember the UNI series last season.

Didn't we blow a HUGE lead and lose 2 of the 3 games on come from behind walk off home runs?

Comment

No stats today......I guess I'll chalk it up to the time change and not being a division 2 program....I guess. :roll:

Comment

UNI 5-3 Shocks

By the time the game started, the wind shift had occurred and the winds were out of the north.

In the top of the first, Kasha brushed a batter's uniform and then Jen Larsen, probably their best hitter and the #1 pitcher, drove an outside pitch over the fence in right for a 2-0 lead. Needless to say, they pitched her inside the rest of the day.

The Shocks finally scored two in the fifth, scratching out two runs with station-to-station ball. This is against the #2 pitcher for UNI.

In the seventh, UNI scored three more. Kasha gave up a double and a run-scoring single. Then Katie came on in relief and gave up some hits and outs that produced two more runs.

Sammie led off the seventh with a blast over the fence in left - against that wind! - her first homer of the year. We got Lauren to second after her single, but no more scoring by the Shocks.

The plate discipline was disappointing - swinging at too many of her pitches and not swinging at our pitches. Also there were too many weak, tap-it-into-the-infield swings.

When the box score and play-by-play are up, I may try to fill in the gaps a little.

Edit: I will let this stand.

Comment

'Moose, are you in Cedar Falls?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
            No, but I am confused about why you ask. The game was here, but you thought the game was on the road?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose
              No, but I am confused about why you ask. The game was here, but you thought the game was on the road?
              Well, I'm not sure where I am, but it sure feels like it is Cedar Falls.

Yeah. I was confused. Thought this was a road game. I see they have cancelled the remainder of the series.

Shocks lose another game late. A habit I would sure like to see the Shocks break.

Comment

Well, I'm not sure where I am, but it sure feels like it is Cedar Falls.
                :)

Shocks lose another game late. A habit I would sure like to see the Shocks break.
                Yes. I will add that the top of the seventh was disappointing from a fundamentals point of view. Katie got a comebacker, never checked the runner on third, and the runner scored on the throw to first. (The runner would have scored on a single by the following batter, but fundamentals are the discussion.) And Hayley was charged with an error when Kara was very late covering first on a sac bunt. She was only able to knock the throw down, the original runner at first made it to third instead of second, and we did not get an out on the play.

Comment

Not to make excuses, but I wonder if Kara isn't still suffrering some effect from the beaning she took late in the Boise State game on Friday, March 5th after going 3-3 in the Shocks 7-1 win.

She sat out both games the next day, but tried to come back on Sunday against Texas Tech. She committed two uncharacteristic errors in the first inning of that game and was removed from the game.

She sat out the doubleheader against UMKC and then came back to play in the Shocks last 4 games. During those games Kara has gone a very un-Kara like 1 - 12 at the plate.

I'm sure Kara would not give that as an excuse, but those concussions have a way of lingering.

Comment

Kara has stepped up nicely the last two year's in filling the void left by the graduation of Katie McGeeney.

Last year with Heather at Catcher, Kara at 2nd and Britnee at SS and Lindsie in center we were pretty solid up the middle.

We had that same combo back this year before Britnee was released from the team and now Kara struggling to get back on track after the beaning.

We have two freshman on the left side of the infield who are getting some good on the job training but the last time I looked were hitting a combined 0.345 (one at 0.170 and one at 0.175). Both got their first collegiate home runs this week so I hope that is a sign they are getting more comfortable at plate at this level.

Having the rest of the UNI series snowed out might be a positive for Kara.

OTOH, Hayley and Sammie probably need all the games they can get.

Comment

Not to make excuses, but I wonder if Kara isn't still suffering some effect ...
                      I think you make a very good point and one that is fair.

Comment

Kara has stepped up nicely the last two year's in filling the void left by the graduation of Katie McGeeney.

Last year with Heather at Catcher, Kara at 2nd and Britnee at SS and Lindsie in center we were pretty solid up the middle.

We had that same combo back this year before Britnee was released from the team and now Kara struggling to get back on track after the beaning.
                        Whoa, whoa, whoa!!

Due to injuries to other catchers, Kara caught her first year (and did a very nice job) and has played second since. McGeeney was an outfielder, primarily in left. So I am not sure about the comparison.

And please, you are thinking of BreAnna Brown, not Britnee Barnett. Britnee was the best shortstop to ever play here IMO, making First Team All-Valley her first three years.

Both McGeeney and Britnee last played in 2008.

Comment

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!

Due to injuries to other catchers, Kara caught her first year (and did a very nice job) and has played second since. McGeeney was an outfielder, primarily in left. So I am not sure about the comparison.

And please, you are thinking of BreAnna Brown, not Britnee Barnett. Britnee was the best shortstop to ever play here IMO, making First Team All-Valley her first three years.

Both McGeeney and Britnee last played in 2008.
                          Man, I am confused. Darn names that start with B are too much or my pea brain or maybe that bee brain.

Absolutely your are right Britnee was an outstanding player for the Shocks. Perhaps a future Shocker Hall of Famer.

Comment

Absolutely your are right Britnee was an outstanding player for the Shocks. Perhaps a future Shocker Hall of Famer.
                            I absolutely, positively agree 110%. She definitely should be.

Comment

I absolutely, positively agree 110%. She definitely should be.
                              I don't believe there is a Shocker Softball player in the Shocker Hall of Fame. I would think Lindsay Craig, Margo Pruis, Britnee Barnett and Ashley Lynn would be candidates for the first softball players elected into the Shocker HOF. I'm sure I am leaving a couple of others out, but I would think at least a couple of these Ladies will make it.

Comment

Working...
                              X