Lady Shockers in post season play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady Shockers in post season play

It would be great if the Lady Shockers got to host or play in a post-season WNIT or WBI. I am assuming that Coach Adams would see this as a step forward if they got invited to one of the post-season tournaments. Would even be better if we could host at home and give the fans of Wichita another look at the bright future of women's basketball at Wichita State University. :yahoo:

Seriously, there is another tournament after the NIT????!!!!!

Thank you, Google.

RPI 148, seems unlikely our ladies would get in unless they make a big run in the Valley tournament.

Comment

Not sure how they can make much money on the WBI, but more power to them.

The long winning streak by the UConn women tells me the women's game is about 35-40 years behind the men's game in terms of parity and depth.

UCLA's 88-game winning streak was ended by Notre Dame in 1974 and that seemed to ring the bell for a new era of increasing parity in the men's game.

Hopefully, we start to see a growing parity in the women's game in the near future.

Comment

The only problem there is that UConn's 70+ game winning streak broke a 70+ game winning streak by.....UConn :(

I agree wholeheartedly that the women's game is in serious need of parity. Unfortunately, I don't think that parity will come until the scholarships are evened out more like the men. When you have a difference maker sitting on the bench at Oklahoma that could be a star at a school like WSU, its hard to create the parity needed to make the women's game more exciting.

I also think the "good 'ole girls" network may be more powerful and determined to keep the little guys down more than any "good 'ole boys" network could ever imagine on the men's side.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxtastic
          The only problem there is that UConn's 70+ game winning streak broke a 70+ game winning streak by.....UConn :(

I agree wholeheartedly that the women's game is in serious need of parity. Unfortunately, I don't think that parity will come until the scholarships are evened out more like the men. When you have a difference maker sitting on the bench at Oklahoma that could be a star at a school like WSU, its hard to create the parity needed to make the women's game more exciting.

I also think the "good 'ole girls" network may be more powerful and determined to keep the little guys down more than any "good 'ole boys" network could ever imagine on the men's side.
          I assume you mean a women's team gets more scholarships, but I don't follow the inner workings of the women's rules. Is this right? Thanks.

Comment

Correct Shock Talk...
            NCAA Division I men's basketball teams are awarded a maximum of 13 scholarships. Women's basketball teams are awarded a maximum of 15.

While I understand the premise is based in Title IX in terms of participation opportunities, as a woman myself, I think it has hurt the sport. I honestly think the 13 schollie limit in men's hoops has helped with the parity. Instead of a guy accepting a scholarship to sit the bench at Oklahoma, he now ends up at a "mid-major" or at another smaller school, because of that limit.

On the other hand for the women's side, many times a difference maker for a school like WSU is riding a bench at Oklahoma, Oklahoma State or Missouri. I think possibly a part of the reason we've lost so much talent out of Wichita in the last decade is this rule. Why go play for a bad program at WSU when you could be part of a top 25 team two hours down the road, and maybe you play some as a senior.

I know that's not the only reason we've lost some good kids to other programs around, but it could possibly play a small factor somewhere down the line in their train of thought.

If parity is indeed the issue, they will reduce the scholarships at least to 14. I'm not sold that the powers to be in women's basketball are all that concerned about parity however.

Comment

Working...
            X