Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Illinois at Wichita State

Southern Illinois 19, Wichita State 12 -- 11:38 remaining, 1st half
    This sure doesn't look like a down-and-out team here from SIU. This is the first time I've seen them since last season, while they don't appear to be over-dominant, when you're making shots, you always look pretty good. The Salukis have made 8 of their 11 shots so far in the game. Pretty crazy. Some of it will cool off, but SIU is running its shooters through a myriad of screens and coming out with open shots. Sheena Johnson and Haleigh Lankster needs to do better jobs of fighting through them to contest the shots.

As far as offensively, the Shox are struggling. Pretty stagnant on offense. I thought they would have a spark when Morgan Boyd banked in a 30-footer when she didn't know the shot clock was expiring and heaved it up. That didn't work, as SIU attacked Jessy on defense and got the easy score. WSU is just 4 of 13 right now, so I expect the shooting percentages will start to balance out as the game progresses.

Southern Illinois 21, Wichita State 14 -- 6:51 remaining, 1st half

Wichita State can't score right now and that has a lot to do with its inability to finish right now. Chynna Turner was somewhat contested on a lay-up, but mis-fired from point-blank range. Same can be said for Haleigh Lankster. She took a weird angle, but still should have finished in transition. And then Turner just missed another bunny inside. Shockers are lucky to only be down what they are, but they are playing some pretty good defense right now. SIU just got three offensive rebounds in a possession and missed all four of its shots - all wide open.

In a way, WSU should be closer than 7 points right now. But then again, it's lucky to only be down by 7 with SIU floundering on offense at the right time. If the Shockers can close this lead down to a single possession or tie it up before halftime, you would have to think that favors the home team.

Comment

Southern Illinois 27, Wichita State 19 -- 2:59 remaining, 1st half
      I was beginning to think SIU would not score for the rest of the half after watching it blow lay-up after lay-up, but Christine Presswood proved me wrong by draining another three-pointer, curling off a screen. WSU isn't necessary playing great defense right now, but SIU is certainly making it look like that with bad shots. Just as I typed that, SIU misses another lay-up on a blown assignment from Lankster. WSU needs to take advantage of all the second chances the Salukis are giving them.

Just a random side note, but my race for top newcomer on the Shockers is narrowing between Jazimen and Michelle. Gordon was the front-runner for most of the season, but Price has come on so fast these past 10 or so games, it's incredible. She just knocked down a 17-footer, something she hasn't done all season. And the thing is, she looked like a natural out there. Perfect release, perfect arc and nothing but the bottom of the net. She's going to be a good one for the Shox.

Comment

Southern Illinois 29, Wichita State 26 -- Halftime
        It hasn't been pretty. At all. But the Shockers have drawn to within three points at halftime and have put themselves in decent position for the second half. At least compared to where they were. First, I'll just give you the facts.

* WSU is shooting 30 percent from the floor at 9 of 30.
        * WSU is being out-rebounded 21-19, despite nine offensive rebounds.
        * WSU has turned the ball over 10 times, 6 of which stemming from Chynna Turner and Jessy Diamond.

Now, having said that, WSU is lucky to only be down by three points at half. Not trying to be harsh, but I would have expected a better effort in Marisah's final home game and especially with other things on the line. Not to take away anything from SIU, but coming into this game, it was not a good team. Getting them at home, the Shockers needed to come out and crush them early like they did against Evansville. They didn't do that the first half, but the Shox aren't in too deep of a hole where they can't climb out of it and even bury the Salukis with a good offensive showing the first 10 minutes.

Individual-wise, the only two I thought played well the first half were Michelle and Jazimen. Maybe lump Marisah in there. But other than that, whether it was defensively or offensively, everyone else struggled. Price leads the team with 7 points and has 5 rebounds. Gordon has 4 points and 6 rebounds. Henderson has 2 points, 4 rebounds and 3 assists. Everyone else (6 others) have combined for 4 of 20 shooting, 4 of 19 rebounds and 8 of 10 turnovers.

Let's hope for a better second half, particularly from Sheena, Jessy and/or Haleigh. I'll pick the Shocks 64, Salukis 55.

Comment

Southern Illinois 36, Wichita State 35 -- 15:30 remaining, 2nd half
          Some bad basketball being played in the opening minutes of this half. Haleigh Lankster provided a spark for WSU with a jumper and then a steal and was fouled for a free throw, but the Shox haven't ignited it yet. SIU is still turning the ball over with bad passes, but WSU can't convert. Jessy Diamond did just hit a jumper, so hopefully that will get her going.

I don't think I am shaking anybody's world when I say this, but Chynna Turner, right now, is a defensive liability on the court for the Shockers. She gets out of position too much and doesn't rebound particularly well. Obviously, the trade-off is that she an a plus on offense. It's a trade-off Adams is willing to take this season, but you can bet that she will have to step up on defense to get minutes next season.

It's one of those situations where you are just waiting for WSU to blow the lid off of this game, but they are missing opportunity after opportunity, which leads you to wonder if this one is going to be close throughout.

Comment

Southern Illinois 46, Wichita State 41 -- 11:42 remaining
            And just like that, SIU jumps out to a 44-37 lead. This is what happens when you let a bad team stick around. They gain confidence as the game goes on with the score close. WSU missed its opportunity for a big lead, now it has to work from behind. Not impossible, but not ideal.

SIU came out of the timeout and Presswood hit her 4th and 5th three-pointers of the game on Jessy Diamond. I'm not too sure why HCJA has had Marisah and Jessy rotating on her. Jessy is struggling fighting through screens, and Marisah isn't tall enough to get a hand in her face. I'd put either Haleigh or Sheena on her, but then again, I'm not the coach. Presswood just caught off the screen and drove for easy lay-up against Marisah, as I typed.

The Shox were able to nibble away at the 7-point a little with another Jessy jumper, then a Chynna post move. The Shox missed a big opportunity on a 3-on-1 break that could have cut the lead to 2, but Marisah tried to get a little too fancy and underhand scooped a bullet to Sheena that went off her grill. Not sure whose fault it was, but the Shox should have finished there.

To update, WSU is 7 of 11 this half, but also has 6 turnovers and SIU is 7 of 12. So hard to break into the lead too much, when you're giving up just as much on the other end.

Comment

Southern Illinois 51, Wichita State 46 -- 7:15 remaining, 2nd half

It's been a frustrating game to watch, and I'm sure it has been even more so for the fans. WSU just doesn't seem to be into it today. The effort is still there, but easy shots are not being finished. Jessy is cold once again (think she maybe has hit that freshman wall...), Sheena is getting to the rim but missing and the Shockers still can't guard Presswood.

Marisah is playing well in her final home game of her career. She has 7 points, 5 rebounds, 7 assists and 5 steals.

Comment

Wichita State 56, Southern Illinois 56 -- 2:37 remaining, 2nd half

Finally! There are the Shocks. Sheena Johnson finally tied things up for the Shockers on a heavily-guarded jumper for a 52-all tie with 4:31 left. SIU scored on two free throws, then Jazzy completed another impressive alley-oop lay-up play from Jessy for the tie at 54. WSU got a stop and Jessy gave WSU its first lead since the first minute of the game on her patented cross-over pull-up jump shot for a 56-54 lead with 3:12 left. SIU hit a jumper to tie it on the other end and Chynna just turned the ball on a blind wraparound pass that went to no one. SIU ball, tie game, here we go.

Comment

Wichita State 56, Southern Illinois 56 -- 1:13 remaining, 2nd half

Interesting stretch there. SIU turned the ball over on a travel coming out of the timeout. WSU missed a huge chance when Jessy threw up a nice alley-oop again for Jaz, but she was going so fast she couldn't make the lay-in. But WSU got a stop on the other end and appeared to score on a drive from Henderson, but she was stuff the first time and it was called a jump ball before she went up the next time for the basket. SIU ball.

Comment

Wichita State 59, Southern Illinois 56 -- 21.0 seconds remaining, 2nd half

Well, there you go. SIU misses two shots on a possession (one blocked by Jazz) and WSU holds. And finally (FINALLY!) get a basket for the lead. They run a clear-out for Sheena and she took her defender to the basket and muscled it in and was fouled. 3 point play with the free throw and WSU leads 59-56 with SIU ball, chance to tie with 21 seconds left.

Comment

Wichita State 59, Southern Illinois 57 -- Final

Wow. What an ending. As a reporter, I could just laugh. But for Shocker fans, uh, not exactly the way you want to see a team close out a game. Let's see, where to begin...

Well, first off Presswood missed a three-pointer with 11 seconds left, but WSU couldn't contain the rebound and it went out of bounds to SIU. She hurried into another rushed 3 that missed and Sheena got the rebound and was fouled. Sheena misses the front-end of her 1-and-1, but Jazz gets the offensive rebound. Before Jazz can even shoot, Sheena steps in the lane for a violation. SIU in bounds and while dribbling down the floor Neptune was fouled (not a bad thing, as it was 1 and 1). Neptune made the first free throw with 2 seconds remaining, missed the second on purpose. Chynna couldn't corral the rebound, Neptune actually got the ball back and got off a clean - I mean WIDE OPEN - look from 5 feet away, but it didn't go down. Whew. WSU wins.

Johnson leads WSU with 10 points. Diamond had 9, Lankster had 9, Turner with 8, Price with 7 and Henderson with 7. WSU out-rebounds SIU 38-35. Be back with more later. Henderson plays last home game to the tune of 7 points, 9 assists, 7 rebounds, 5 steals.

Comment

Big win for the Lady Shocks. One they really needed.

Based on listening to the game on the radio and Taylor's reports does not sound like the Shocks played great, but they somehow toughed out a win.

Not sure how to account for the lane violation on Jazimen's free throws at the end of the game. Thank goodness that did not come back to haunt the Shockers.

Shocks must not match up great with SIU. SIU's Presswood seems to like playing against the Shocks.

Thanks to Marisah for two years of hustle and leadership as we try to turn this prgram around.

Comment

Wow! USA Hockey scores with 25 secconds remaining in the final period to tie Canada at 2 all in the gold medal hockey game.

Overtime as it should be.

Go USA!

:goshocks:

Comment

Working...
                          X