Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evansville at Wichita State

First half -- Wichita State 35, Evansville 20
    Overall, a pretty impressive half of basketball from the Lady Shocks. It was probably the best start a game this entire season for WSU, it was just a shame it came against the worst team in the Valley. The Shocks led 12-0 at the first media timeout. Michelle Price was really everywhere, very impressed with her progression. In the first four minutes, Price had 4 points, 4 rebounds, 2 blocks and a steal. Pretty impressive stuff. After that, WSU cooled off for the most part. After the 5-6 start, the Shox closed 8-27 to shoot 39% for the half.

Here are some notable performances from the first half:

* Price has made 4 of her 5 shots for a team-high 12 points and has grabbed 6 (4 offensive) rebounds.
    * Jessy Diamond gets just her third start in MVC play in place of Haleigh Lankster. Diamond is 2 of 7.
    * My personal favorite, Jazimen Gordon, only logged three minutes that half. Not sure why.
    * Chynna Turner is a presence finally for the Shockers. She's made 4 of her 8 shots and has 11 points and 7 rebounds. Scratch that, her playing up to her potential is the reason why Gordon hasn't seen many minutes.
    * WSU is being out-rebounded 21-18, something I'm sure Jody Adams is not thrilled with. Also 7 turnovers is a few too many.
    * The Shockers' guards are very aggressive tonight. They're anticipating the pass and getting out in the passing lanes. They have forced UE into 16 turnovers.

For all of those who are in attendance for the game tonight, I'm sure they will agree with me on this looking back later: this Evansville team reminds me so much of Albright's Shocker teams.

I don't want to sound too harsh, but, simply put, there were far too many avoidable turnovers committed under Albright. WSU was always a contender to lead the Valley in turnovers and many of them weren't even because of the defense. I'm talking simple traveling calls, throwing out of bounds, not knowing their pivot foot...it was terrible. And tonight I am being subjected to it once more, this time by the visitors.

I think it's a testament to how far the Shockers have come under Adams in her second season. While WSU still commits its fair share of turnovers, no more do I shake my head after them. Now it's because WSU has such athleticism, it sometimes leads to the players trying to do too much.

What do you all think? See any similarities?

Comment

Wichita State 37, Evansville 24 -- 15:56 remaining

The Shockers open the half with a nice set play for an easy basket. Chynna Turner started at the high post, then cut to the basket while Morgan Boyd set a pick. Henderson found her in the air for the alley-oop lay-in. WSU had a similar play earlier in the game with Price, who laid it in while in the air. Yep, these Shockers are a cut-above most of the Valley in terms of athleticism.

You can just tell Jessy is playing through pain this season. I've noticed it before in games where a wrong cut leads to a grimace on her face. She wears a brace on her left knee, but you can tell its not 100 percent. Might be something to watch. Know it's a long season and Diamond has given nothing but her everything, but it makes you wonder if she can do everything she's capable of.

Also of note, Morgan Boyd was called for an offensive hooking call to get position in the paint. She was promptly taken out of the game and Adams went to the end of the bench to talk with her. She has shown a lot of potential this season, but has struggled with consistency. Adams took a calm demeanor it looked like when she talked to her, instead of getting in her. Interesting coaching tactic, I think. I think Jody has proven she knows how to get the best out of her players (i.e. Price, Gordon, Johnson).[/b]

Comment

Wichita State 44, Evansville 33 -- 11:55 remaining
        Evansville just doesn't want to go away. WSU isn't playing well enough to put its foot down and run away with this one, even though its capable of doing so. The Shockers scored on another alley-oop play to Gordon. Evansville just can't keep up with the hops. Gordon even caught the ball on the wrong side of her body and adjusted in the air and still made the lay-up. Impressive.

Something not so impressive - Evansville hanging around, down by 11. WSU is clearly the better team and should be leading this one by around 20. Shox are just 3 of 10 right now shooting. Need to start knocking down some shots.

Comment

Wichita State 49, Evansville 37 -- 7:41 remaining

Hard to put all of my attention to this game. Just ugly basketball being played right now. The internet is far more entertaining, ha. But as far as the game goes, WSU continues its sluggish play. It picked up 4 more turnovers between media timeouts and now have 16 for the game. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

Evansville still hanging in there down 12. It cut the lead down to 10 once, but Sheena just hit an And-1 before the timeout to push the lead out. I'm not too worried about a run from UE. I doubt they could go on a real threatening run, but you never know with how the Shox are playing right now.

Comment

Wichita State 61, Evansville 43 -- 1:53 remaining

The Shockers were sleep-walking their way to the victory, but two jumpers from Jessy Diamond woke them up. After UE was hovering around the 10-14 point deficit range, Diamond's shots put the Shockers up 61-43. Signs of life!

In a way though, I feel like this is an indicator of where WSU is. Obviously, they're not there yet on the road. But at home this season, the Shockers are very good and are about to the tie the school record with 12 home wins in a season. I think WSU used to be the Evansville in this game, where other teams could just scrape by with decent performances for the win. Now I'm not saying WSU has fully reached the elite of the Valley (clearly 6th place not elite), but I think it is there at home. Now the process begins on turning things around on the road...

Comment

Originally posted by teldridge24
              [b] I'm not too worried about a run from UE. I doubt they could go on a real threatening run, but you never know with how the Shox are playing right now.

I think that's the same attitude the team had at Evansville......the run finally came and a decent shot at 4 or 5 in the conference went out the window.

Comment

Wichita State 68, Evansville 43

It's a final here at Koch Arena and the Lady Shox pull away for the 25-point victory. Not sure where this ranks as largest victory at home in Valley play, but has to be close. After sleep-walking through much of the second half, WSU finally turned it on in the final minutes to stamp out the Aces.

Notable performances from the final box:
                * Marisah Henderson hits three three-pointers and takes 7 shots. Coming into the game, Henderson was just a 25% three-point shooter. She also finished with 9 assists.
                * Chynna Turner finishes with 17 points and 7 rebounds. She was just 5 of 14 though, but 7 of 8 from the line.
                * Michelle Price with her best game I've seen her play. Finished with 16 points, 7 rebounds in just 19 minutes.
                * Jessy wasn't really on tonight, just 4 of 12, but made shots when WSU needed them.
                * 68 points coming on just 39 percent shooting. Pretty impressive stuff.
                * WSU out-rebounded 40-36 and turned the ball over 17 times. Not good.
                * Good news: Evansville turns ball over 29 times and shoots 31 percent.

Interview time. Be back later if you all have any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                  I think that's the same attitude the team had at Evansville......the run finally came and a decent shot at 4 or 5 in the conference went out the window.
                  Yeah, that would have been nice. But did you read the story on the team in today's Eagle? What do you think about the chances of the Shocks in the post-season?

Comment

Shocks played very well for the first 4-5 minutes of the game and the last 4 minutes or so. In between it was some real fugly basketball.

Evansville was without its best player tonight as Senior Amy Gallagher who killed the Shocks in Evansville did not play for the Aces. Even with Gallagher Evansville is not a good team. Without her they have no chance.

I thought the Shocks played a much, much better game throughout in their win over Missouri State last weekend.

Showed some good and some bad tonight, which is pretty much par for the course with this team. Pretty good defense although way too much fouling in the 1st half.

I thought the Shocks played hard for most of the game, but I'm not sure how smart they played.

Hopefully, the Ladies will be able to put together a little more consistent effort against SIU. That is a big game if the want to hold on to 6th place and avoid the play-in game. The final two road games at Bradley and UNI will be very difficult games and games that, realistically, you don't expect the Shocks to win.

Not expecting much from the Shocks in the MVC Tournament. I could see them maybe picking up one win in the tournament. Any more than that would be a pleasant surprise.

Comment

During the 1st four minutes of the game and the last 4 minutes of the game the Shocks outscored Evansville 26-2.

The middle 32 minutes were basically even at a very pedestrian 42-41.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                        Shocks played very well for the first 4-5 minutes of the game and the last 4 minutes or so. In between it was some real fugly basketball.

Evansville was without its best player tonight as Senior Amy Gallagher who killed the Shocks in Evansville did not play for the Aces. Even with Gallagher Evansville is not a good team. Without her they have no chance.

I thought the Shocks played a much, much better game throughout in their win over Missouri State last weekend.

Showed some good and some bad tonight, which is pretty much par for the course with this team. Pretty good defense although way too much fouling in the 1st half.

I thought the Shocks played hard for most of the game, but I'm not sure how smart they played.

Hopefully, the Ladies will be able to put together a little more consistent effort against SIU. That is a big game if the want to hold on to 6th place and avoid the play-in game. The final two road games at Bradley and UNI will be very difficult games and games that, realistically, you don't expect the Shocks to win.

Not expecting much from the Shocks in the MVC Tournament. I could see them maybe picking up one win in the tournament. Any more than that would be a pleasant surprise.
                        I can't be too hard on the girls for this game being ugly. When you play a team as bad as Evansville is, the games lack rhythm and I've seen plenty of really good teams play in really ugly games against bad opposition.

At the end of the day, the girls took care of business and got a 20+ point win where they weren't really challenged.

Given the history of the MVC Tournament, you can't count anyone out from winning it, and we certainly have the talent to make things interesting. I'm not counting on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if we beat some people.
                        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I think Wichita State is the "wild card" of the tournament. It's pretty easy to predict what you're getting with most of the teams this year in the Valley, but I think WSU has the highest ceiling, but also a lower ceiling than any other in the top 6. Wouldn't be surprised to see them make a run to the semi's or further, or lose in the first round. I'm hoping they can string some wins together and make the NIT. Would be a good experience for the team.

Comment

I think how they play over their final 3 games at home vs SIU and then on the road to close out the regular season against Bradley and UNI will go a long way in determining this team's state of mind going into the post-season tournament.

They sweep this string of games, then look out.

They win 2 of 3 they will gain the confidence to be a team you would not want to play in the MVC Tournament.

If they defeat SIU at home and lose to Bradley and UNI on the road (which is what I think is the most likely scenario) then, as Taylor states, it could go either way, but expectations would not be. high (at least in my case).

In any case, they will need to play much better than they did agaisnt Evansville to be successful.

Comment

Working...
                            X