Lady Shocks at Centenary Spring Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady Shocks at Centenary Spring Tournament

The softball team opens its season this weekend in Shreveport at a tournament hosted by Centenary.

Centenary is a member of the Summit League and are a preseason pick for seventh of nine teams in the league. Western Illinois is the preseason pick to win the conference.

Other participants are Houston Baptist, University of Memphis, Southern University and Nicholls State.

The HBU Huskies are a member of the Great West Conference. Updated Web sites are not a high priority for this conference.

The Tigers of the University of Memphis are members of Conference USA. Again, no release of preseason picks. Tulsa won this conference last year.

The Southern University Jaguars are members of the SWAC. They are picked to win the Western Division of the conference, which has five teams.

The Nicholls State Colonels are members of the Southland Conference are picked to finish eighth of eleven teams in the conference. Texas State is a perennial powerhouse in this conference.

The Shocks are a preseason pick for sixth in the Missouri Valley. They play Nicholls State and Memphis on Friday, Centenary and Southern on Saturday, and Houston Baptist on Sunday. Frankly, not winning this tournament would have to be a disappointment.

FM, I agree, this tournament should be a confidence builder for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Quick Pitch
      FM, I agree, this tournament should be a confidence builder for us.
      Question is will it be a false confidence?

Comment

If we can go in and get some wins and at the same time get some good quality at bats and quality pitching performances, it does nothing but good for us.
        Being a midwest team, we have to go south early to play. I would rather see us in a weak tournament to start since our team probably hasn't even practiced outdoors yet. I would hate to go face AZ and AZ St. without getting outdoors first.

Comment

Softball

The WSU softball team may not have practiced outdoors yet, but they have practiced in the new indoor facility and the only thing missing there they can't do is chase high fly balls. I went to the indoor facility open house on Wed eve and WSU softball coach, Mike Perniciaro, seemed extremely pleased with the new facility.

Comment

Over 5" of snow in Shreveport have caused Centenary to cancel their tournament this weekend. Instead, the Shocks will travel to Memphis, one of the other teams in the tournament, to play a DH against the Tigers on Saturday.

WICHITA, Kan.- Inclement weather has changed the Wichita State University softball schedule yet again as the Shockers will now travel north to take on the Memphis University Tigers on Saturday, Feb. 13, for a double header scheduled to begin at 2 p.m.

Next weekend is the QTI/Getterman Classic in Waco, hosted by Baylor.

Comment

too bad, they needed those games. :(

Comment

Are you serious? They should of went West to Tempe or Palm Springs. You can't fix it if you don't play the best. It is not like they are rated in the top 10 and are worrying about losing their rankings. They have to have a reasonable RPI or they will never make the tournament. This team does not need an insurance policy to salvage a winning record to get in the tournament. NO RPI no tournament.

Comment

Forget the RPI and forget the NCAA Tournament. You would have a better chance of seeing a moose fly than seeing this team in any kind of NCAA Post Season. They need to focus on actually making it to the Mo Valley Tournament. That would be an improvement over last years team. And to do that, they need to get some games where they build confidence while working out the early season kinks.

Comment

... a better chance of seeing a moose fly ...
                    I resemble that remark!

Comment

go shox
                      "Two dribbles and a ham sandwich" ~ Gregg Marshall
                      Wichita State, a team long on grit, made everything it shot. ~ Normal, Ill. newspaper 2/19/13

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose
                        ... a better chance of seeing a moose fly ...
                        I resemble that remark!
                        :good:

Ok, we need an icon of a moose flying now. :yahoo: :clap:

Comment

Working...
                        X