Big Roag Trip (?) - Evansville & SIU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
    Not totally sure, but I think Haleigh may have been scoreless in this game.
    Zero points on 0-6 from the field, including 0-3 from beyond the arc. No 'throws attempted.

Comment

Sure is a tough place to win.
      For someone who obviously knows everything there is to know about, well, everything... What part of 0 wins since 2002 are you not understanding? Evansville may not have the most hostile environment, but for the Shockers, its been a tough place to play.

Creighton and Drake fall into the same boat. Creighton's 350-ish attendance per game certainly doesn't appear to be a game changer, but for whatever reason, the Shockers haven't won there in almost a decade either.

I'm not certain how you harbor such ill feelings when the team picked ninth in this league lost to the team picked ahead of it, in overtime. This team is going to have Jody pulling her hair out for the rest of this season, but why not enjoy the ride and support the team while it grows rather than blaming it for losing a game they technically weren't favored in to begin with?

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxtastic
        For someone who obviously knows everything there is to know about, well, everything...
        Glad we got that out of the way early.

What part of 0 wins since 2002 are you not understanding?
        I fully understand EVERY part. The fact that WSU hasn't won there in 8 years or more does not mean that it is tough to win there, which is what YOU originally said. I admit that EVERYWHERE is tough for WSU to win. Evansville has now won exactly 1 Valley game this year. We seem to be the only team so far not to figure out the juggernaut that is Roberts Arena.

I'm not certain how you harbor such ill feelings when the team picked ninth in this league lost to the team picked ahead of it, in overtime.
        I harbor no ill feelings but I also have no preset opinions based on womens preseason selections. I know enough about the game of basketball to recognize a superior team. AND WSU was 4-3 in the league playing against a winless team. IF anyone cared enough to bet on womens Valley basketball, I can assure you the Shocks would have been favored, by a lot.

This team is going to have Jody pulling her hair out for the rest of this season, but why not enjoy the ride and support the team while it grows rather than blaming it for losing a game they technically weren't favored in to begin with?
        1)I am not blaming the team as much as I am blaming Jody. She wears this one, imho.

2)You're wrong, they weren't technically not favored.

3)I do support the team and the program and I learned a long time ago to enjoy the ride. There was nothing enjoyable about that game.

Comment

I agree. I don't think anyone willing to come on this board to talk about Wichita State women's basketball right now has any ill feelings toward the team. Everyone obviously wants to see the Shockers win. With that said...

I agree, just because Wichita State hasn't won at Evansville in nearly a decade does not justify it as a tough environment to play in. I don't mean to crush your hope, but Evansville is not a good basketball team. In fact, they are a terrible basketball team. Before defeating Wichita State, the Purple Aces closest game in Missouri Valley play was an 11-point loss to the other worst team in conference, Southern Illinois. For those of you wondering, SIU and UE were ranked in the bottom 40 of all of Division I basketball (which has 340+ teams) in RPI.

There is no way to sugar coat it, dropping games to Southern Illinois and Evansville are bad, bad losses for a program on the brink of making a serious push for the top of the conference.

I want to say I'm surprised, but isn't this what everyone expected? We all knew these girls are inexperience at the Division-I level and they were going to have games they probably shouldn't win and games they probably shouldn't lose. Right now it's tough to swallow losses on the road to the conference's two worst teams, but it's just a reminder of how young this team really is.

Wouldn't be surprised if WSU comes back this week and either split or swept the elite of the conference in Drake and Creighton.

Comment

Originally posted by teldridge24
            Wouldn't be surprised if WSU comes back this week and either split or swept the elite of the conference in Drake and Creighton.
            Sorry, but Drake is not among the elite of the conference, not one of the top three certainly.

Comment

Not only is this team inexperienced (I would say young but we do have the complement of JUCO transfers who, while inexperienced, are not necessarily young) the coaching staff is also relatively inexperienced.

Jody is in only her 3rd year as a head coach. Needless to say she has had her ups and downs over those three years so I'm sure she is still in the steep portion of her learning curve also.

Being disappointed and perhaps a little upset with the Evansville-SIU road trip IMHO shows that you have a little passion and hope for this program to be better than it has been.

While they have had their ups and downs they are about right on track to where most of us thought they would be this year. However, it is very disappointing that they let a great opportunity to exceed expectations pass them by. In the long run it won't make much difference IF both the coaching staff and the players can learn and grow from the experience.

We have 9 more regular season games to make the case that such learning and growth is occurring.

:goshocks:

Comment

Working...
              X