Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady Shockers Softball

Any news or updates?

You might check goshockers.com to see if there is any news.

Women's Softball

Comment

Re: Lady Shockers Softball

Originally posted by 1B29
      Any news or updates?
      Originally posted by 1979Shocker
      You might check goshockers.com to see if there is any news.

Women's Softball
      Well, their season starts on February 12 at the Centenary Spring Tournament in Shreveport. You can't juicy stuff like that from the softball schedule on the new and improved goshockers.com! *Sigh*

Other teams in the tournament besides Centenary are Houston Baptist, Memphis, Southern and Nicholls State. With no research at all, sounds like a soft tournament.

Comment

I have no news or updates that is not on goShockers.com.

While we did not lose all that much from last year's team we also did not do much to shore up our weaknesses, primarily the quality and depth of the pitching staff.

Granted the Ladies will be a year older and hopefully a year better, but not sure we will be greatly improved over last year. Time will tell.

We do have a 6'0" lefty pitcher, Sloan Anderson out of Oregon coming in next year, although it is very difficult to predict how good she will be.

I see this season as one where we need Kasha Kolb to show some growth along with our offense. Hopefully, Sloan will prove to be a valuable addition to the pitching staff and we can make a move to challenge for the top of the MVC next year.

Comment

Sounds exciting and can't wait for more softball talk on this channel. Only 16 days till the first pitch in NCAA I believe. Big tournaments going on the West Coast and in Arizona. It will be interesting to see. Hopefully Kasha will step up this year and throw like she can. Go Shockers.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
            While we did not lose all that much from last year's team we also did not do much to shore up our weaknesses, primarily the quality and depth of the pitching staff.

Granted the Ladies will be a year older and hopefully a year better, but not sure we will be greatly improved over last year.
            Will the returning offense show at least incremental progress? Can Sammie Shook play shortstop? Did Kasha make the adjustments to have consistently strong outings? Can Katie Armagost contribute in the circle as freshman?

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
            Time will tell.

Comment

Softball

I'm interested in seeing how frosh, Hayley Temple, does. She plays SS/2b. She led the state of AZ with a BA of 0.624. Her bio includes these facts: Named the 2009 Arizona Small Schools Player of the Year by the Arizona Republic and was named First Team All-West Region by the NFCA…

Comment

Other questions that hasto be answered is will the Shockers schedule have a big enough RPI index to help get to a late season bid for a regional if possible? Another question is how important is the Lady Shocker program to the University and what direction is it going?

Comment

Softball

The stated objective for WSU Athletics is to be good in all the sports they offer. You see this in their literature and also in discussions I've had with various members of the athletic department.

Comment

Originally posted by 1B29
                    Other questions that hasto be answered is will the Shockers schedule have a big enough RPI index to help get to a late season bid for a regional if possible? Another question is how important is the Lady Shocker program to the University and what direction is it going?
                    They actually have pretty decent facilties as far as I can tell. Wilkins Stadium is small, but nice. The Ladies now have access to the new indoor practice facility. I think the support from the Athletic Department is fine.

Now whether or not Shocker fans will ever come out to the games in any numbers is debatable and probably doubtful. Clearly the team is not a financial contributor, but it does contribute to Title IX compliance.

Baseball dominates in the Spring, so the Ladies, unless they break through with a great team that can make a deep run in the NCAA Tournament will continue to play in the Shadow of Eck Stadium.

Comment

I'm pretty sure any chance Shocker softball had to carve a niche similar to (on a lesser scale of course) volleyball died a quick death with the departure of Tim Walton.

There will be a few diehards like '72 etc that will support a great group of student athletes no matter, but there are going to have to be more than 1 reason to generate any fan interest beyond family, friends and the above mentioned.

Those reasons would include:

1)Tremendous and sustained success (made even more difficult since they go up against the successful baseball program).
                      2)Great weather
                      3)National exposure (most assuredly tied to #1)
                      4)Non athletic related drawing cards (see volleyball)
                      5)Conference championships
                      6)Individuals achievements (no hitters etc).

Comment

So are you guys telling me that if a coach and team just stays above .500 here the Athletic Department is satisfied? I have always followed Shocker Baseball for years and Gene does a great job in getting blue chip players from nearby surrounding states and wins.

Comment

I'm not sure anyone is saying that.

The previous AD was often quoted as saying that if we are going to put Wichita State across our uniforms, then it is going to matter (or something close to that).

I am certain that the current AD expects excellence off the court (classroom and community) and success on the field (with varying levels certainly).

I think a win loss % is too simplistic of a benchmark, for anyone.

Comment

I agree with Doc. It is not just a matter of wins and losses, especially in the non-revenue sports although he goal is to be the best we can be at every sport we participate in.

That said, wins and losses are much more important in the main spectator sports which right now include Men's Basketball, Baseball and Volleyball (VB is a relatively new contributor to gross revenues).

I think they would like for Women's basketball to be a more significant gross revenue contributor. but for whatever reason we really have never gotten that program going on anywhere close to a sustained basis.

I think you will find less tolerance for losing or mediocre records for these 4 sports than might exist for our other sports.

Still, when you look at the on the court/field succes of our athletic program it is hard to beat the Volleyball, Women's Track and CC and the Women's Tennis teams over the past 5 years and they have contributed greatly to our success in winning the All-Sports Trophy regularly during that time. it would be great if the Softball and Women's Basketball team could join the party.

Comment

I think coaches in all sports men or women should be held to the same standard on winning

Comment

Working...
                              X