Going to the game tonight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to the game tonight?

Is anyone gonna make it to the game tonight?

My prediction is a win say... 78 -70. Defense is suppose to be a focus for this yr's team and I dont think it will be on prime display yet. I do however think this yr's team just might have audacity to make a little noise in the valley. Everyone remembers last yr's pre-season ranking and the finish to that season. This year starting low might be what they need. I've gone to almost every home game the past 3 yrs and a few practices and they might just suprise a few people. With that being said i could be completely wrong, but lets hope not :goshocks:
    Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

I'm not gonna make it tonight. I'd like to, but considering I'm going to VB tomorrow and still working on what I'm gonna do saturday I'm skipping this one.

I do agree that I think this team is capable of making some noise in the Valley. The only question is will they put it together and start to build something.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Yes, I will be going to the Game tonight.

I hope you are right about a positive surprise.

We have a change at point guard with Jacie Hoyt. Kyrie Kinder is a starter, at least to being the season, and Kiki Stephen's back is reportedly doing much better this year.

We beat the Flyers by a 78-62 score last year I believe, although year-to-year comparisons with these AAU teams don't mean too much.

What I will be looking for tonight:

An improved defensive approach and effort.

Team rebounding needed to replace Annie Wells' production in that area.

Reduced turnovers, although I don't really expect a real strong defensive effort out of the Flyers.

Seeing if the Freshman may be ready to contribute off the bench.

:goshocks:

Comment

One interesting thing Coach Ablright said on her Sports Daily appearance yesterday was that the chemistry on last year's team was terrible.

She said that, at least to this point, the chemistry on this year's team is much better. That in itself could make a significant difference, but only time will tell.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

I might go. I might not go. I hate Jane's style of coaching and her gameplan.
          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I'll say this.. do you guys like the starting line up as is? A few days ago before Jane announced the line up, I was thinking Hoyt at the point and taylor at the 2 guard wouldnt be too bad. any thought? I've seen DeGarmo in practice and she does have a nice outside stroke... IF she can get some PT she could turn out to be a defensive nightmare. (seeing shes 6'1'' and can play the SF)

I dont like how we only have basically 2 true centers on the team ( Bunton and Smith) Kiki is an obv. PF along with Marcy who can stroke it from the outside.

But i agree turnovers and actually sustaining defensive possessions will be key this year for anything to happen... along with team chemistry
            Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

Originally posted by small tyme baller
              I'll say this.. do you guys like the starting line up as is? A few days ago before Jane announced the line up, I was thinking Hoyt at the point and taylor at the 2 guard wouldnt be too bad. any thought? I've seen DeGarmo in practice and she does have a nice outside stroke... IF she can get some PT she could turn out to be a defensive nightmare. (seeing shes 6'1'' and can play the SF)

I dont like how we only have basically 2 true centers on the team ( Bunton and Smith) Kiki is an obv. PF along with Marcy who can stroke it from the outside.

But i agree turnovers and actually sustaining defensive possessions will be key this year for anything to happen... along with team chemistry
              I like the starting lineup. Jaycie and Kiki are no brainers. I have felt that when Kyrie is on, she might be the best player on the team, so the fact that she is playing well enough to earn a starting job is good news. It also gives versatility in our backup guards since both Taylor and Whitney can play either the 1 or 2.

I like starting Daria at the 3 because she is great against man to man defenses, which is what most teams start the game playing. She has struggled against zone, but even if that trend continues, we can put in DeGarmo as her replacement.

Marcy is our best post player next to Kiki, so I like starting her even if she is more natural at the 4. The fact is that in women's hoops, there is not that much difference between PF's and Centers. Marcy has done a good job defending and scoring against centers before, so I don't think that is a problem.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I don't really have a problem with the starting lineup. Also Jane seems to be more open to input from her staff this year than she has been in the past regarding these decisions.

While good fooder for fan discussion starting lineups are not he end all and be all of a team in today's college basketball environment.

While most players strive for that starting spot in today's game total PT and who is in the game at the end are probably more important than who starts the game.

I'm sure we will get a look at the entire roster in tonight's game.

Comment

I'll be at the game tonight, hoping for a win, not exactly expecting one.

The starting lineup, in my opinion, isn't really something you can make a strong point against. You just have to test it out and see if it works.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock
                    I'll be at the game tonight, hoping for a win, not exactly expecting one.

The starting lineup, in my opinion, isn't really something you can make a strong point against. You just have to test it out and see if it works.
                    I agee. The starting lineup will work itself out over time.

While I always want a win that may not be the most important thing tonight. I want to be able to say I see some real improvement in the quality of play vs last year, win or lose.

Comment

I won't be going but I will be paying attention. I am really interested in seeing how Coach Gillespie's influence is taking hold.

I am looking forward to solid defense and minimized turnovers.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Working...
                      X