No announcement yet.

Oklahoma Flyers Exhibition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to see my girl played well. Benton represent!!!!!

When is the next home game? I think I'm gonna force myself to go no matter what else may be going on.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22

When is the next home game? I think I'm gonna force myself to go no matter what else may be going on.
      Monday November 12th.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

On the other thread I posted that I was going to look for a few things tonight:

1. An improved defensive approach and effort - thought we got that for the most part, especially in the first half. Kiki was particularly active on the defensive end and their team defense seemed much better. Freshman Sam Smith had 5 blocks. Someone had posted earlier in the year that Sam was not very mobile or quick. She looked pretty athletic to me for a 6'3" player and has good strength for a Freshman. Shocks had 18 steals. We will be that effective against a quality opponent. Probably not, but my initial impression was we will be better defensively.

2. Team rebounding needed to replace Annie Wells' production in that area - Shocks outrebounded the Flyers by 47 to 33 with Kiki again leading eh way with 11. Again a promising outcome although the Flyers weren't the most active players on the boards. They had good size but weren't terrible athletic.

3. Reduced turnovers, although I don't really expect a real strong defensive effort out of the Flyers - As expected I don't think the Flyers defensive pressure was that tough and we did have 19 turnovers. However, it was fairly high possession game and we did play the freshman quite a bit and mixed up the lineup quite a bit in the 2nd half.
        As mentioned before Jacie Hoyt looked very sharp at point guard. We did win the turnover stat 19-27.

4. Seeing if the Freshman may be ready to contribute off the bench - Jen DeGarmo looks like a very interesting player and ready to contribute right away. Sam Smith also looks like she can give us some effective minutes. Shantel Pointer looks like she we be a good, physical guard who can shoot. Jadhon Kerr looks like a possible redshirt candidate. She's a little bit of a tweener and I'm not sure there will be a lot of minutes available for her.

All in all, my impressions were generally positive in all 4 areas, plus the Shocks shot the ball very well.

:good:

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter

Monday November 12th.
          That is against Texas Southern.

Then they don't play again at home until November 29th when they play
          Nicholls State.

Comment

Crap!!! I guess I'll be skipping Bible Study that night. The guys will forgive me
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Crap!!! I guess I'll be skipping Bible Study that night. The guys will forgive me
              Shouldn't that be "Holy Crap!!!"

:D

Comment

The reporteed attendance tonight was 1,321. Just eyeballing the turnout I would say it was closer to 321.

Not sure how many season ticket holders we have but I am assuming that would account for the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                  The reporteed attendance tonight was 1,321. Just eyeballing the turnout I would say it was closer to 321.

Not sure how many season ticket holders we have but I am assuming that would account for the difference.
                  I disagree. I think that 1,321 was an accurate count, but that after getting used to volleyball, the crowd seems a lot smaller when it is spread out.
                  "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

TMH, you are probably right. I doubt that my sample counting was very accurate and it is difficult to estimate the crowd when they are so spread out.

Generally, even 1,300 fans can make quite a bit of noise in Koch. It was not loud at all tonight. Again, probably because we were so spread out.

However, the crowd seemed smaller than 1,300 to me.

Hopefully, if the Ladies continue to play as well as they did tonight attendance will eventually pick up.

Comment

They played quite well even though the opponent was the weakest they will see all year...

transition offense, especially in the first half was great

everyone contributed, almost no stupid TO's

Rebounded well, Defense was good (2nd half drop off happens when you're up by 40)

This game showed we can shoot while not being guarded other than that not much regarding how we'll do against real competition. Saying that I'm not taking anything away from their win, just that this is not a real indicator on how the season might go. Go Shox
                      Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

It seems like the consensus is that the Shocks played pretty well and showed significant improvement overall with the caveat that due to questions about the quality of competition it was a little hard to confidently say they will be much better than last year.

Perhaps the Shocks would be better off if they could find a Division II school or a decent NAIA school for their exhibition game.

Personally, I think a tougher opponent is better preparation, especially when you have only exhibition game.

Comment

Some box score observations:

Smith with 5 blocks in 11 minutes. Very nice.

Steven and Rice a combined 6-8 from 3. Not bad.

19 turnovers. I don't know if that's good for the gals or not. In a 93-point game, maybe not?

Kiki 3-10 FG. Not good for a post player. But too early for that to be of any concern. On the other hand, 11 boards and 4 steals in 24 minutes is good.

Comment

More Post Game Observations

My golf 4-some finished at WSU's Braeburn course around 7 PM on Thurs night. On the way home, I started listening to the game when it was about half way thru the 1st half. At that point, the starters only had around 2-3 TO's which seemed really good. Once Jane began to substitute a lot with such a big disparity in the score, the TO's began to mount. When a coach substitutes the entire bench there are bound to be more TO's. It sounded to me like several of the frosh can contribute year.

Comment

The worst case scenario is Gillespie does a great job, and saves Jane Albright's job...

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKS10
                                The worst case scenario is Gillespie does a great job, and saves Jane Albright's job...
                                We will see how this season goes but one thing should be clear, a head coach is responsible for their assistants performance whether good or bad. A head coach can't blame a bad season on an assistant (since they chose those assistants) and likewise great performances by assistants have to be credited to the head coach (since, again, they chose the assistants). I don't know how this year will go but let's not have any of this if they are bad it's Jane and if they are good it is her staff talk. She will have to take the blame if they are bad and she will deserve the credit if they are good. That's the deal with head coaches.
                                The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Working...
                                X