Lady Shocks vs Lady Jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady Shocks vs Lady Jets

Lady Shocks follow the Men with their only exhibition of the year vs Newman University on Sunday at 2:00 PM.

The Wichita State women's basketball team takes to the court for the first time in the 2009-10 season when WSU hosts its lone exhibition game against cross-town Division II-foe Newman University at 2:05 p.m., Sunday inside Charles Koch Arena. WSU's men take on the Newman men at 7:05 p.m., on Saturday.

Wichita State’s three returners each have one year of Division I experience, making the Shockers one of the least experienced teams in the nation. WSU returns just 29-percent of its offense from a year ago, and 40-percent of the rebounding from last year’s squad.
    The big question is to what extent will this lack of D-I experience hurt us and have we upgraded the talent-base of this team enough to at least somewhat overcome the lack of experience.

I may be misreading HCJA but I just get the sense that she seems to be a little bit like the "cat that swallowed the canary" about her team. I guess we will find out soon enough.

:goshocks:

Mark my words: we will be a better team than last year, and I have a hunch that we will be much better.

I think that I can safely say that we will be putting out, top to bottom, the most athletic team in the Valley this year. Yes the inexperience will dictate down how quickly we can be good, particularly on the offensive end, but I doubt that anyone will want to play us come MVC tournament time.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
      Mark my words: we will be a better team than last year, and I have a hunch that we will be much better.

I think that I can safely say that we will be putting out, top to bottom, the most athletic team in the Valley this year. Yes the inexperience will dictate down how quickly we can be good, particularly on the offensive end, but I doubt that anyone will want to play us come MVC tournament time.
      Consider them marked. I'm certainly not going to bet against you as I think there is a good chance you will be proved on target.

Comment

After reading the Eagle, I was impressed with their win. Sounded like the shooting was much better this year (which it needs to be).

Hopefully, we can have a team that can compete with anyone this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
          After reading the Eagle, I was impressed with their win. Sounded like the shooting was much better this year (which it needs to be).

Hopefully, we can have a team that can compete with anyone this year.
          I think the best thing about the win was that we can a whole lot better than we were yesterday once we gel as a team and we can get enough practice and game time in for all the new players to really know our offensive and defensive systems in and out.

We did a good job with our pressure and switching on defense, but Jody wants even more pressure and more effective full court pressure moving forward.

On offense, we really were running a very vanilla system since there hasn't been a lot of time to practice with a young team and the emphasis has been on defense. Even with this, you saw that we have several players who can effectively create their own shot and both Marisa and Jessie distributed the ball well (8 assists a piece).

The most encouraging thing out of the exhibition for me was that this team seems to have taken on Marisa's character. Everyone on the team is willing to throw their body around, dive for loose balls and generally create havoc for the other team. Marisa is the kind of tough nosed player Jody was and Jody clearly wants to the program to take on that character. Last year, Marisa was doing all the tough things, but very few others were following her lead. That doesn't appear to be the case this season.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Working...
          X