We lost to a juco?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We lost to a juco?

Our softball team lost to a juco? What is up with that?
    We better get our crap together or it will be more of the same this year.

Hadn't heard about that. Any details, box score or story to link to?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
      Hadn't heard about that. Any details, box score or story to link to?
      Wichita State's independent, student-run news source
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Due to the international tiebreaker rule, :noidea: a runner is allowed a free base, so Jazmen Dumbauld took her running position at second, and later in the inning, Sarah Hocker smacked a double to right field to drive in the go-ahead run.

:o
        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Thanks Spangler. Cowley has good softball program, but still you would expect a D-1 program to be able to handle even a good Juco program.

Hopefully, we played a lot of our newcomers and gained some experience.

It appears we are still searching for the pitching depth, the lack of which has been an issue the last couple of years. Doesn't look like we are close to solving that dilemma.

Giving up late leads and losing games late continues a nasty trend from last year.

Oh well, at least it doesn't count, at least on the official record, although it may count in terms of confidence.

Question: Do most of the Softball players play summer ball and, if so, is it of a decent competitive quality?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
            Question: Do most of the Softball players play summer ball and, if so, is it of a decent competitive quality?
            No, unless you are a freshman and still eligible for 18U. Otherwise, the opportunities for "real" softball in the summer are very limited once you reach the ripe old age of nineteen.

I attended some of the first game, but none of the second game this past Saturday.

But I did learn that in their second game of the day, the Shocks beat Southern Nazarene, 12-2. With a probable run-rule, I do not know how the innings were divided between Breezy and Katie Armagost, the freshman (walk-on?) from Carroll.

The starters against Cowley were all returnees except for Sammie Shook (Derby) at third base.

Kasha indeed dominated, but hung a rise to give up the tying homer. Jamie's performance was typical for her. She is okay for awhile, but when she goes off the rails, she doesn't ever get back on. She was pulled after a bases-loaded, four-pitch walk.

The pitcher for Cowley is a very nice pitcher, especially for juco, but we made her look like AB by swinging at all of her high stuff. The plate discipline was very disappointing. For example, there were three pop-outs in the bottom of the ninth.

All of the runs and much of the offense came in the fifth inning. A homer and two doubles scored the runs, but both doubles were big flies that might have been handled with better outfield play by Cowley.

Sammie made a freshman mistake by diving unsuccessfully for the sac bunt that lead off the ninth for Cowley. I think this was the inning when Kara and Gert combined for a nice tag play for an out at the plate, but two soft hits scored a run. (I do not believe there was a double, just a single and advance on the throw. But maybe the article is correct.)

This is way, way more than you wanted to know about a fall softball game.

We lost to Paris (TX) JC last fall.

Comment

Thanks, 'moose. I always enjoy an articulate and well thought post.

Comment

Gee Moose, too bad these juco kids are not worth recruiting huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Quick Pitch
                  Gee Moose, too bad these juco kids are not worth recruiting huh?
                  QP, I thought we were beginning to have civil conversations, and now you go back to misrepresenting my previous statements, just as you have done in the past. *Sigh*.

Comment

WSU softball will get better next fall.

Comment

ahhh Moose, it's been a while since I have stirred you up. I'm just busting your chops, trying to get you stirred. Don't take it serious :D

Comment

Originally posted by RF29
                        What happens next fall? Some help in the pitching circle?

Comment

Just a wild guess here but do we have a recruit with the initials "RF" and wears # 29?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                            Just a wild guess here but do we have a recruit with the initials "RF" and wears # 29?
                            Sloan Anderson is the pitching recruit for 2010.

Comment

Have the Shockers played Butler yet. I hear they are better than Cowley which is most certainly in a building year having lost several AA's last season and most of their starting lineup.

Comment

Working...
                              X