Women's BB Non-Con Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's BB Non-Con Schedule

Any thoughts or comments on the Non-Conference schedule for the Lady Shockers Basketball team?

As with last year it does not seem overly challenging. Of the 7 home games 5 are vs D-1 opponents who had an average RPI of 272 and a combined record of 50-98. The other two home opponents South Dakota (18-11) and SIU-Edwardsville (5-21) are both teams attempting to transition into D-1.

The toughest part of the non-con schedule is the road games at Colorado State (RPI 216) who the Shocks lost to at home 76-69 last year and Kent State (RPI 115) who defeated the Shocks 65-58 in Koch Arena last year.

They have a nice trip to the Bahamas (which can't hurt recruiting) but again the competition is not overwhelmingly tough. SMU (RPI 85) finished 20-11 last year and is the highest-rated team (based on 2008-09 RPI) on the non-con schedule. The 2nd game in Nassau is vs UKMC (RPI 276 and 10-18 last year). A long way to go to play the team just up the road, but a nice trip nevertheless.

Perhaps this is exactly what this relatively young and unfamiliar team needs this year, although I am not sure how well it prepares the team for conference play.

As a fan, I would like to see an upgrade in the future, if possible, to the quality of the non-conference schedule, especially at home. Maybe this will come if and when the program improves its standing.

I can see the Shocks going anywhere from 7-4 to 11-0 with this schedule depending on how well they adapt to each other, to D-1 ball and to Jody and her system. A lot of variables there.

Will the team be prepared to improve on the back-to-back 4-14 conference records of the last two years. Let's hope so, but it is a real guessing game as to what we will actually bring to the table this year.

Shocker Madness is going to be more interesting than usual this year. We have the mystery women's team and we have the men coming off a reportedly big training effort in the off-season plus the addition of some interesting new faces.

Understandably disappointing, yet again. I hope this is the last year of a crappy schedule.

I am not now, nor have I ever been a fan of the weak schedule and what it does for your team. If you have a young and even weak team, imho, the best that it does is give you a false sense of security. It sets you up perfectly to get your collective asses handed to you down the road.

Playing tough makes you tough. A couple of road apples early on is fine, but after that bring on the main course.

I promise you you'll see it more and more on the men's side. I hope Jody tests the waters as well.

'72,

Not having Shocker Madness piggyback on the rather broad shoulders of Shocker Volleyball this season will keep interest down in what would be a highly charged environment. Too bad yet again.

Comment

i guess i agree somewhat....

...it IS lackluster...but so may be the team, for a season or 2...i'm hopeful the weak noncon will allow coach adams to find her combos...

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
        Not having Shocker Madness piggyback on the rather broad shoulders of Shocker Volleyball this season will keep interest down in what would be a highly charged environment. Too bad yet again.
        Not sure I agree with that assessment Doc. I think there will be at least as much interest in Shocker Madness this year as in the past few years, with or without a VB match.

I am assuming the most likely reason for not combining with a VB match this year is that the Shocks do not have a VB match on the likely date of Shocker Madness which (using last year as a guide) I'm guessing will be on Saturday, October 24th. Shocker VB team plays MSU on Friday, October 23rd at home, but do not have a match scheduled for Saturday.

Perhaps the fact that the VB team unexpectedly took 5 sets to put Drake away last year not only scared the crap out of Shocker fans, but also threw a wrench into the time available for the Basketball teams and made for a very long evening for the fans is also a factor.

Either way, I'm particularly looking forward to Shocker Madness this year. We will have a BIG VB match vs MSU on Friday and the Shocker basketball on Saturday. The VB match is the 2nd meeting between the Top 2 teams in the MVC and could go a long way in determining the regular season VB Champs. Not a bad way to spend a couple of evenings in the fall. Perhaps there are still some possibilities for tying the two events together marketing wise, although with Shocker Madness being a free event that makes a tie-in more difficult.

My only wish is that they streamline the player intros and get to the actual basketball activiites muy pronto.

Comment

Nm.

Comment

Working...
          X