New Softball Assistant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Softball Assistant

I have to admit that I am a little bit skeptical when the best they can find is a volunteer assistant from Drake. Anyone know anything more about her?

I was thinking the same thing. This program hasn't progressed very far since Walton left

Comment

Well, there is this.

WICHITA, Kan. -- Former Drake University volunteer assistant coach Amber Wood has been named assistant softball coach at Wichita State, fifth-year head coach Mike Perniciaro announced today.

The 2009 Drake Media Guide doesn't really have any additional info.

Given the relatively late date (10 July) of Chris' leaving and possible budget considerations, I don't find the addition of a "volunteer assistant" too surprising. Plus she was a "graduate assistant" at Lipscomb of the Atlantic Sun for two years while working on her Masters degree. But the (implied) question is legitimate.

As an aside, does anyone know what the various assistant "qualifiers" imply? A "student assistant" is still doing undergraduate work. A "graduate assistant" is doing post-graduate work (and free tuition is part of their salary)? A "volunteer assistant" is full-time, but there are salary limitations? Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment

Wonder if the coach at Butler County applied?
        Because Denny Crane says so Dammit!

Comment

I asked about the Butler coach and was told that he had no interest in being an assistant at this time.

Comment

See Page 19 of the following PDF Presentation:

• All sports other than football and basketball may
            employ a volunteer coach.
            • A volunteer coach is a coach who does not receive
            compensation or remuneration from the institution’s
            athletics department or any organization funded in
            whole or in part by the athletics department or that is
            involved primarily in the promotion of the institution’s
            athletics program (e.g., booster club).

I did not really spend much time looking at this but I think there are some restrictions on the activities of a volunteer coach, mostly in terms of recruiting, although I could be wrong about that.

Volunteer asistants must either have a working spouse or live with a friend or relative and/or perhaps have a second job outside of their sport.

Baseball has Jerod Goodale.

Why would someone do this? It is a resume builder for those individuals wanting to work there way up in the coaching ranks. Obviously, these are high turnover positions and I suppose the positive aspect is that someone thinks higly enough of your program that it is worth the volunteer effort to put on their resume.

Comment

yeah, most people do it to build the resume - work for a great program to get a chance to get your foot in the door somewhere else

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                See Page 19 of the following PDF Presentation:

• All sports other than football and basketball may
                employ a volunteer coach.
                • A volunteer coach is a coach who does not receive
                compensation or remuneration from the institution’s
                athletics department or any organization funded in
                whole or in part by the athletics department or that is
                involved primarily in the promotion of the institution’s
                athletics program (e.g., booster club).
                Thanks, '72.