USA & Junior National Track & Field Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA & Junior National Track & Field Championships

A few Shockers will be competing in Eugene, Oregon this week as the USA Championships and the USA Junior Nationals will be going on concurrently in historic Hayward Field.

Kellyn Johnson will be running against the big girls in the 1500 meters - haven't heard if she has signed a professional contract yet but I'm sure this will be interesting to see how she fares at the highest level on the national stage.

Brett Trudo qualified for the USA's in the javelin but I heard will not compete to rest a sore arm. Coach John Hetzendorf will attempt to make the World Championships in the javelin, as he is a regular at this meet.

Three Shockers will compete in the Junior Nationals (under 20 years old).

Audacia Moore (100, 200), Todd McKown (110h, 400h), and Justin Hickey (Decathlon). Interesting all these athletes are local products: Moore from Wichita Heights, McKown from Valley Center, and Hickey from Cheney.

The meet will be on ESPN Friday and Saturday night and NBC on Sunday afternoon. Good luck Shockers!!!

Day 1 Report:

Kellyn Johnson barely missed advancing to the women's 1500m final, placing 13th in 4:16.71, which is a school record. She missed making the final by .17. Not bad for her first time against the pro's. I'm sure she'll be back and gained some valuable experience.

Coach Hetzendorf placed 10th in the Javelin at 225-7.

Justin Hickey sits 11th after the first day of the junior men's decathlon with 3194 points.

Day 2 will have Hickey's final events in the decathlon along with Audacia Moore in the 100m and Todd McKown in the 110 hurdles.

Comment

Day 2 Report:

Audadia Moore advanced to the 100m final with a prelim time of 11.65 - which is a career best. She then placed 8th in the finals with 11.70.

Todd McKown placed 16th in 110 hurdle prelims with a personal best 14.42. Justin Hickey finished 11th in the Decathlon at 6196, not as good as he wanted I'm sure but a great season for the freshman nonetheless.

Day 3 (Saturday) has Audacia in the 200m (prelims and finals) and McKown in the 400 hurdles.

Comment

Moore qualifies to the finals and then places 5th in the 200m Junior National Finals in 23.97. Great effort by Audacia!

McKown ran 54.25, very solid, but didn't make the final, placing 12th.

Looks like a great meet by the Shockers in Oregon!

Comment

Working...
        X