The "Rule of Mike"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SubGod22
    If you guys can prove that VB can get discussion year round, or at least close to it, then I would be all for it's own forum. To say that it doesn't get discussed all year because it doesn't have a dedicated forum doesn't make much sense to me. If it's a hot topic and is worthy of discussion that shouldn't stop it.
    There is some merit to your comment ... BUT ...

We have a forum called Recruiting. It has been taken over by the basketball fans. Compare the level of discussion of basketball recruits in the Recruiting Forum with baseball recruits in the Baseball Forum. Basketball recruits are discussed more. Why is this? Maybe basketball brings in higher profile national recruits? Maybe WSU basketball players get drafted in the first round and baseball players don't? Right!! :sarcasm:

Over the last five years, which WSU teams have ended the season with the higher national rankings?
    1. Bowling - National Champs twice.
    2. Baseball - NCAA invites every year, regional champion (= Sweet 16) in 2007, regional championship games (= Top 32) multiple years
    3. & 4. Basketball or Volleyball:
    Basketball - 1 NCAA tourney, 1 (season) MVC championship, Sweet 16 in 2006, usually no Top 25 poll votes
    Volletball - 2 NCAA tourneys, 2 (season) MVC championships, 2 MVC tourney championships, Top 32 in 2004, usually some Top 25 poll votes
    ??? Women's Tennis (Top 32 in 2007), Men's Golf (NCAA tourney), ETC.
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Actually, I have an answer on the basketball vs. baseball recruits. The baseball program is so good that we EXPECT to bring in really good recruits. The basketball program is several steps below the baseball program. Paul Miller came to WSU, in large part, because of the baseball program and Gene Stephenson. Basketball fans are desperate for any sign that basketball is bringing in better recruits. In baseball, we expect to lose top recruits to the major league draft ... AND to replace them with other outstanding recruits after the draft. Can basketball say this? ... :roll:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

SF, by that logic I shouldn't have even had a basketball forum when ShockerNet began. Also by that logic, we should forget about a VB forum and create a bowling forum. Having it's own forum would surely create more bowling discussion, right?

Certain sports will almost always have a bigger following than others, regardless of the success level.

I'm not convinced that creating a forum for VB will spark year-round discussion. There just isn't enough overall interest or news to support it.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
          SF, by that logic I shouldn't have even had a basketball forum when ShockerNet began. Also by that logic, we should forget about a VB forum and create a bowling forum. Having it's own forum would surely create more bowling discussion, right?

Certain sports will almost always have a bigger following than others, regardless of the success level.

I'm not convinced that creating a forum for VB will spark year-round discussion. There just isn't enough overall interest or news to support it.
          I would love to have a bowling forum to reflect the level of success of the bowling program. Of course, I would not post to it very often. :D

Fan interest, rather than a school's success, drives a sports message board. On the other hand, the visibility of fan interest might enhance the level of recruits coming to a school. One way to do this is to be Top Ten in attendance. Another is to show fan interest on the school's main sports board. For volleyball, the fans are doing their part in coming to matches. Is SN doing its part? Part of SN is fans posting here about VB and part is the organization of forums on SN. On both counts, I think WSU falls down a little and we can do a better job.

Comment

Something I don't understand is why it is hard to have a seperate forum for VB? Does it require more work for the SN staff? Does the forum software break if postings don't occur year round? Is it just concerning the integrity of SN? I'm not totally clear on why it is such a bother to add VB.

Comment

Spangler, there is nothing stopping you from creating your own message board on WSU VB on your own web space at your own expense. I presume you do realize that SN has no official affiliation with WSU, and that Mr. RoyalShock is the one ultimately on the hook for all expenses of running this message board (thankfully Jocks and Jills is an awesome sponsor, but it wasn't always that way).
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

If it's own forum will help with recruiting and success than we need to get a womens basketball forum too. Maybe if we have a football forum football will come back to WSU :D

I kind of understand what you're trying to say, I'm just not completely buying it.

As far as recruiting news and that forum being basically basketball, I would credit that to the fact that basketball, nationally speaking, is much more common and followed by people. It gets a lot more talk in regular media than baseball recruiting. I could be wrong I guess, but I don't think so. But then again, I don't follow college baseball that closely and definitely don't follow the recruiting side.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by lemuel777
                  Something I don't understand is why it is hard to have a seperate forum for VB? Does it require more work for the SN staff? Does the forum software break if postings don't occur year round? Is it just concerning the integrity of SN? I'm not totally clear on why it is such a bother to add VB.
                  There is nothing difficult about it.

But you have nothing to lose, either. We've discussed this before. If VB is pulled from the Women's Sports forum, both forums could struggle. It is my belief that discussion for both VB and women's b-ball is helped by them being in the same forum. That is the reason I'm not willing to split them up right now.

Like I said before, I would love it if the amount of discussion and the number of those participating forced my hand.

Comment

Additionally I just looked at the last four "game threads". I counted 10 participants that had something to say about VB besides requesting a separate forum.

Also, there are only seven topics with activity in the last two weeks pertaining to Shocker VB. And this is during the season.

Comment

Additionally I just looked at the last four "game threads". I counted 10 participants that had something to say about VB besides requesting a separate forum.

Also, there are only seven topics with activity in the last two weeks pertaining to Shocker VB. And this is during the season.
                      Thanks for the stat info. So it is mostly for forum integrity.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand
                        Spangler, there is nothing stopping you from creating your own message board on WSU VB on your own web space at your own expense. I presume you do realize that SN has no official affiliation with WSU, and that Mr. RoyalShock is the one ultimately on the hook for all expenses of running this message board (thankfully Jocks and Jills is an awesome sponsor, but it wasn't always that way).
                        I hope you realize that some things posted on SN have a "tongue-in-cheek" component. If Royal IM's me and says he needs $100 to keep SN going, I'll send it to the address he gives me. If a new VB forum is a big software problem (and I'll bet it isn't), then forget the idea.

The VB program is doing well. How can we help? I already go to matches and have season tickets. Do you go? Could SN do more for volleyball? Bottom Line: Do it (VB forum). :D :D :D :D :D

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                          If it's own forum will help with recruiting and success than we need to get a womens basketball forum too. Maybe if we have a football forum football will come back to WSU :D

I kind of understand what you're trying to say, I'm just not completely buying it.

As far as recruiting news and that forum being basically basketball, I would credit that to the fact that basketball, nationally speaking, is much more common and followed by people. It gets a lot more talk in regular media than baseball recruiting. I could be wrong I guess, but I don't think so. But then again, I don't follow college baseball that closely and definitely don't follow the recruiting side.
                          REWARD SUCCESS, not failure. WBB is not good. Golf is not attracting big crowds. Same for tennis, cross country and track & field. I ran track and CC in high school and I'm not ready for forums in those areas. Volleyball has earned it.

Eric Wedge and the Indians.
                          Joe Carter and the Blue Jays.
                          1989 Champions.
                          A bunch of major leaguers.
                          BASEBALL > basketball !! :yes: :good:
                          :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                            If Royal IM's me and says he needs $100 to keep SN going, I'll send it to the address he gives me.
                            Expect an IM soon, SF! :D

Actually, I'm starting to tinker with the idea of creating a VB-only forum as an experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                              If Royal IM's me and says he needs $100 to keep SN going, I'll send it to the address he gives me.
                              Expect an IM soon, SF! :D

Actually, I'm starting to tinker with the idea of creating a VB-only forum as an experiment.
                              A science experiment (in a "mad scientist" voice)?? :evil:

:lol:

Comment

Working...
                              X