Nebraska Quad - Track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nebraska Quad - Track

Highlights from Nebraska this weekend ...

Scores: #19 Nebraska 208, WSU 196, K-State 123, UNI 85.

I'm not sure the Huskers expected such a tough battle with the Shockers but WSU nearly pulled off a major upset here battling the #19 team in the nation all the way to the end of the meet.

Overall the throwers kind of struggled with Kate Schaake leading the way in the SP (44-7) and DT (151-8). This group usually gets it done at conference time and I expect the same in 2 weeks.

Jumps - Tish Brown had a big meet, long jumping 20-1 for the win. The TJ was solid with 2 of the 3 having season bests. I was told the PV did well but not outstanding and that Demo (12-3) went from a shorter approach because of a minor hamstring injury. This group looks ready. Kovesi and Brown didn't high jump high but indoors they didn't even jump until MVC and both scored so hopefully they'll get that going as well.

Distance - another good weekend for this group. Rachel York wins the steeplechase and is establishing herself as a strong force. Hali Mobley and Olivia Martinez go 1-2 in the 1500 with nice personal bests of 4:33 and 4:34. Danielle Walker and Lauren Eck continue to have good seasons and went 2:12 and 2:13 in the 800. Irene Kosgei blew away the field with a great 5k time of 17:04 all by herself. With Kellyn Johnson this group could rack up tons of points in 2 weeks.

Sprints - this group had a real nice meet as well. Freshman sensation Audacia Moore won the 100 and 200 easily, running 11.73 and then a big personal best of 23.81 in the 200, just missing the school record of 23.74. Classmate Brittany Hemphill went 3rd in both events. They teamed up to help the 4x1 run a season best 45.7 in the 4x1. The young hurdlers, too many to mention all ran at or near season bests in both the 100 and 400 hurdles. Kiara Moore had a big improvement in the 400 and ran on a 4x4 that won in a season best 3:45.

Overall it looks like the women had a real, real good meet. It looks like the MVC will be a battle between WSU and SIU for the title.
Working...
X