KT Woodman Track Meet - Friday/Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KT Woodman Track Meet - Friday/Saturday

Hey everyone, come out to see the Shockers in the KT Woodman. It starts Friday night and runs through Saturday. This will be your only chance left to see Kellyn Johnson run at WSU, and your first chance to see Audacia Moore in a WSU uniform here. I think Kellyn is running both Friday night and Saturday. Admission is free, should be a lot of fun!

I had the chance to take in a bit of the action this weekend.

I will defer to '74 for his analysis but on the surface, the team looked strong and I expect big things at the Valley championships.

I really love T&F....so bear with me as a try to give a rundown. Any corrections or help will be most appreciated.

Might as well start with the MVP of the Indoor season. Kellyn Johnson has not lost a step, in fact she may be getting even better.

In the 1500 on Friday, Kellyn won in 4:22:23...that's just a little over 2 seconds more than the all time MVC best held by Desiraye Osburn and 10 seconds better than 2nd best in the Valley so far.

Then just for grins she ran the 800 on Saturday and won in 2:08:82...about 1/2 second off the school record and more than 6 seconds better than the 2nd best time in the Valley this season.

Both times are under the qualifying standard. One has to think she will win whatever races she chooses to enter at the MVC.

Comment

More Friday results....Monica Adcock did not really improve on her Javelin throws from earlier this year. Shocks will need to pick up at least a couple of points here come Valley time.

Junior Rachel York blistered a small field in the 3000Steeple....not much to take from that. She wasn't challenged but the time wasn't fast either. A good 12 seconds off the Valley's best so far.

Seniors Irene Kosgie and Kimber Lemon ran in the 5k. Irene finished in 17:19:77 and Kimber in 17:53:91. Irene's time is the best in the conference so far....both should score come Valley time.

Comment

Erika Kovesi continues to do well in the triple jump. She was over 40' (RQ)and should contend for a top 3 finish. Freshman Witney Sorell and Junior Karolin Mosa could score as well.

I am pretty sure Brooke Demo broke the school record in the pole vault at 4.16 (RQ). Several other vaulters including So. Hannah Marsh could contend for points. Brooke's vault is easily the best in the conference this year.

We don't have much in the Hammer and won't score at the Valley. Likewise the high jump.

Kate Schaake improved a bit with a throw of 14.47(RQ) in the shot. A top 3 finish is certainly possible in the Valley. We could use a point or 2 from Autumn Weaver who threw 13.09.

Comment

Now let's get into some of our sprinting events where the Shocks have some youngsters that are lighting things up.

In the long jump, So. La'Taish Brown flew 5.95 (just missing the 6.00 qualifying mark) to get the win. That's the best in the Valley so far. Brittany Hemphill jumped 5.62 and will contend for a top finish in the Valley.

Kate Schaake launched the discus 48.42 (RQ) to win the event. That's also the best in the Valley. Kate is our only shot at points here.

Our 4X1 relay team blazed 46.66 best in the Valley.

The 100 hurdles was won by Jr. Selena Burns in not a great time. We could sneak a few points here.

Fr. Kristina Taylor is our best and only hope for points in the 400. Her time of 57.98 is good for 5th best in the conference so far.

Our dynamite Fr. duo of Audacia Moore and Brittany Hemphill smoked the field in the 100 dash in 11.67 (RQ) and 11.99 respectively. Audacia seems certain to break the 26 year old school record at some point. These are the 2 fastest sprinters so far in the Valley. Jr. Jasmine Cato and So. Cierra King could also contend for points.

Comment

We already touched on Kellyn's blistering 800 but also in that race, Fr. Danielle Walker and So. Hali Mobley ran times at or near the best in the conference so far.

As many as 3 Shockers could garner points in the 400 hurdles. Fr. Emily Ballock, So. Courtney French and Fr. Samantha Hallman all have top 10 times.

Shocks could go 1-2 in the 200 as well with the fantastic freshman. Brittany sat out this one but Audacia torched the field in 24.26...again not far off the school record held since 1983. Audacia and Brittany have the best times in the conference so far this year.

The Shocks 4X4 ran 5 teams and finished in unspectacular fashion. Nevertheless, they should contend for top honors at the conference meet.

Comment

Metric sucks, talk American in the field events if you can please IE FEET AND INCHES

Comment

WuDrWu,

Great analysis! I will try to add my two cents.

Hovpen, here is a link to all the results, they are all converted to feet and inches. We track guys live in the land of metric like the rest of the world.

Yes, Kellyn Johnson looked great, her dual with the girl from Missouri in the 800 was pretty epic for someone who usually doesn’t drop down to the 800. I’ve heard she will skip KU this weekend and try to run a fast 1500 at Arkansas. I have also heard she will run a steeplechase soon. Mica Land’s one year old school record could be in jeopardy.

The Shockers aren’t as deep as in the past in the throwing events for sure. Kate Schaake is doing very well in Shot and Discus to lead that group and hopefully Adcock and Hammond will get a steady dose of javelin points this year.

You mentioned the Shockers won’t score in the high jump. Like indoor Erika Kovesi and Tish Brown will probably not jump much until around MVC time but both of them scored at the MVC Indoor meet in the high jump. They are mainly horizontal jumpers and haven’t high jumped yet this year outdoors. You are correct that the Shox won’t score in the hammer.

Don’t know how many people have heard but Sasha Manuel, who finished 2nd indoors in the 60 hurdles, tore her ACL in a hurdling accident and will be out for the year. Salena Burns has the potential to pick up a lot of those points but is also working on the multi’s right now. She will do one at KU this week.

Those young sprinters are starting to really improve like you said.

Demo was 2 inches short of her school record but her vault this weekend should help her get to NCAA’s.

All in all a very nice meet with good weather (for once).

On a side note I was extremely disappointed with the coverage of the college meet in the Wichita Eagle. There were 2 sentences written and nothing about Kellyn Johnson (one of the NCAA’s top runners) and Audacia Moore (a local product who is doing very well in her freshman year). This is the Shockers’ only home meet of the year, why wouldn’t there be at least some coverage of the meet? Was the baseball game against Evansville the only thing that was worthy of mention on campus this weekend? Very disappointing.

Comment

I am betting the Eagle reporters didn't under stand metric either like the rest of us poor working stiffs, we need our feet and inches.

Comment

Hovpen,

ALL the results are in metric AND English. The one mark the Eagle mentioned was in English. I think it was more oversight and/or laziness on their part. And I don't think Kellyn Johnson and Audacia Moore's results were in metric since they didn't do any field events.

I appreciate the sarcasm :)

Comment

Working...
                    X