WSU @ MSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU @ MSU

Lady Shocks win 6 - 2!!!!!!!!!! Heather picks up 3 RBIs an Kara adds 2 RBIs. Kasha goes the distance with 8 Ks while giving up 5 hits

Flying Moose, if there was ever any question about whether or not Lauren Supak or any Juco players can play at this level, the answer is absolutely yes they can.
    Not only did Supak shut us out, she lowered her era to 2.50 in the process.

By the way, I got a chance to visit with several of the Butler players who were at the game tonight. I learned a LOT of inside scoop.

Comment

Originally posted by Quick Pitch
      Flying Moose, if there was ever any question about whether or not Lauren Supak or any Juco players can play at this level, the answer is absolutely yes they can.
      Sorry, but you really need to go back and read the posts - that was never the question under discussion.

Comment

My bad FM I guess it was someone else who wrote:
        I think that it is rare that a juco player could be a signficant help to Wichita State. My definition of "significant" is a probable all-Valley player (and why else would you want them for just two years). The Ashley Brights of the juco world are rare. Players are at jucos for several reasons, their level of talent being the one germane to this discussion. Unless they are a late bloomer or make tremendous strides, they are unlikely to be a help.

And I guess you didn't write this either:
        QP and I fundamentally disagree about the ability of juco all-American pitchers to make significant contributions at a mid-major DI softball program.

And who wrote this?
        I don't argue with the assessment of the "problem" - I do argue with the solution. QP thinks a juco pitcher could have been found to help - I doubt it. We agree to disagree in that area.

Actually FM, a very good juco All American pitcher could be found and from what I heard from the Butler players tonight, she wanted to come here.

:whistle:

Comment

By the way, I got a chance to visit with several of the Butler players who were at the game tonight. I learned a LOT of inside scoop.
          And.......... ?

Comment

Agree... I hate secrets! :roll:
            SFL is back!

Comment

Looks like the Shocks took advantage of some errors by MSU in Game 1. Solid outing by KK.

Won't win many when you get shut out, like in Game 2, but Brianna did have a pretty decent game giving up 2 runs (1 earned) in 6.1 innings in relief of KK.

Interesting that KK started both games.

Comment

From what I was told, Caley Roberts asked for her release after last year and Pooch would not give it to her. She is on a full ride, which he could have used to get another pitcher.
                As I said before, Supak wanted to come here, and as we saw tonight, she could definitely help our pitching staff.

On the other hand, after watching her tonight, I think Caley Roberts should get more playing time.

Comment

My bad FM I guess it was someone else who wrote:
                  I think that it is rare that a juco player could be a signficant help to Wichita State. My definition of "significant" is a probable all-Valley player (and why else would you want them for just two years). The Ashley Brights of the juco world are rare. Players are at jucos for several reasons, their level of talent being the one germane to this discussion. Unless they are a late bloomer or make tremendous strides, they are unlikely to be a help.

And I guess you didn't write this either:
                  QP and I fundamentally disagree about the ability of juco all-American pitchers to make significant contributions at a mid-major DI softball program.

And who wrote this?
                  I don't argue with the assessment of the "problem" - I do argue with the solution. QP thinks a juco pitcher could have been found to help - I doubt it. We agree to disagree in that area.

Actually FM, a very good juco All American pitcher could be found and from what I heard from the Butler players tonight, she wanted to come here.

:whistle:
                  Nice research ... but you totally missed the starting point of the discussion. Fundamentally, the discussion was about whether you toss Breezy over the side to recruit a juco pitcher, not whether juco pitchers can be effective in a mid-major conference.

I used the "significant" criteria - significant=all-Valley player, my definition . If some pitcher is that good, recruit her. If she is not, do not toss Breezy over the side to have the juco pitcher for two years versus Breezy for three years. That was the point under discussion- you were willing to replace Breezy with Supak, I was not because I do not think Supak will be all-Valley, a conclusion not based on her abilities, but the notion that few (<<10%?) juco all-American pitchers reach my defined criteria. (You could argue that my criteria is not useful, but you have never done that.)

And since we are on the subject of Breezy and Supak ... A standard and fairly simple metric for hitters is OBP+SLP. Tonight, that metric (as best I can calculate) for the hitters against Supak was 0.582 and for the hitters against Breezy was 0.501. The ERA metric is of course different - 0.00 and 1.11, respectively. I assume there are other metrics, but I think they will all say the same thing - they both pitched pretty well tonight.

Comment

Cowley has at least five girls who could step in and start for WSU right now.

Comment

From what I was told, Caley Roberts asked for her release after last year and Pooch would not give it to her. She is on a full ride, which he could have used to get another pitcher.
                      As I said before, Supak wanted to come here, and as we saw tonight, she could definitely help our pitching staff.

On the other hand, after watching her tonight, I think Caley Roberts should get more playing time.
                      I have heard the same thing...if true, amazing.
                      Because Denny Crane says so Dammit!

Comment

Wow Moose you went a long way to try and convince us that a player with a 4.5 ERA (Smet) is better than a player with a 2.5 ERA (Supak).
                        Nice try :whistle:

And yes, if you can get a better player for 2 years than what you are stuck with for 3 years, you go get her. Or keep losing for the next 3 years. Obviously Pooch agreed with you, that is why we are in the position we are in now....losing.

Comment

Wow Moose you went a long way ...
                          I'm simply trying to ... nah, forget it. These good people have endured enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Hovpen
                            Cowley has at least five girls who could step in and start for WSU right now.
                            Yes, and although very good, they aren't even the best Juco program in the state.

Is this guy's job in danger after the season? Sure seems a lot of questioning of his decisions both on and off the field.

Comment

My two scents: sweat and fart
                              My two cents: The criteria for recruiting is: Can I get someone to improve our team. Doesn't matter if they are a potential All Conference player, it does matter if they improve our team. That is my two cents. Now here is one of my two scents.... Brrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaapppppppppp!
                              Kick 'em square in the grapes! (that can be very painful)

Comment

Working...
                              X