Grade for Adams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grade for Adams

Honestly, how is Adams any better at this point than Albright? Albright won 3 MVC games last year, can Adams win that many? The team has played horrible down the stretch and can't seem to defend anyone...Illinois St shot almost 60% from the field.

Adams has won more games than Albright last year, but Jane had to compete against Okie State, New Mexico State, Texas A&M, Wake Forest and Indiana among others. Our non conference schedule this year has been considerably softer in my opinion.

I'm not sure we upgraded the program's future with Adams...I hope her recruits are as solid as some suggest because they are going to have to overcome her coaching.

uhh this is a joke right?
    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Re: Grade for Adams

Originally posted by CourtJester
      Honestly, how is Adams any better at this point than Albright? Albright won 3 MVC games last year, can Adams win that many? The team has played horrible down the stretch and can't seem to defend anyone...Illinois St shot almost 60% from the field.

Adams has won more games than Albright last year, but Jane had to compete against Okie State, New Mexico State, Texas A&M, Wake Forest and Indiana among others. Our non conference schedule this year has been considerably softer in my opinion.

I'm not sure we upgraded the program's future with Adams...I hope her recruits are as solid as some suggest because they are going to have to overcome her coaching.

Jane, please don't be a troll. It isn't becoming. Good luck at Nevada, go 'Pack.

Comment

Anybody want to wager that by year four of Adams' tenure, the program is light years ahead of Albright's teams were at the same stage?
        Because Denny Crane says so Dammit!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane

Anybody want to wager that by year four of Adams' tenure, the program is light years ahead of Albright's teams were at the same stage?
          i'd wager next year

yes, we lose marcy and daria, but i think jazimen and price will surprise some people next year...plus, we will still have marisah, jacie and haleigh - experience at the guards where we need it...coaches guffey and moore will take good care of misses gordon and price

i really hope the OP is joking, adams is working with a majority of jane's players and having to basically start from scratch. these players have had it ingrained in them by jane that it was okay to be soft - jody has had to change their total mindset, and that's not something you can do in the short time she's had. add in the physical conditioning change for the different style of basketball that jody plays, and people's expectations were WAAAY too high after a good start in a weak non-conference schedule

i expect a 4-7 finish in the valley next year, followed by a 1-4 finish in 2011, followed by continuously competing for conference titles

Comment

IIRC, CourtJester had a history of being a WSU-basher on the old ValleyTalk.

Comment

Considering that Jody has gotten more out of Jane's recruits than Jane ever could says enough. You can see that this team is already better than the past few. Sadly, due to lack of a bench the ladies are wearing down and the finish is going to be rough. But the future looks much brighter than it did a year ago.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

A few more games to go, but I think if you check our pre-season prediction contest you will find that from a win-loss standpoint the team has performed in line with expectations.

In making those predictions fans clearly understood that we had a weak non-conference schedule.

Considering the state of the program that Jody inherited I think she has done pretty well. The grade for this year's team belongs as much to, if not more so, to Jane as it does to Jody.

Jody is trying to take a program with very little to no winning tradition over its entire history. No MVC Championships - No NCAA appearances. The Coach she succeeded had the poorest winning % since the program was reconstiuted in 1974. She has very little depth on her roster and had very little time to do much about it. The team was close to a unanimous pick to finish last in the MVC. To expect an immiediate turnaround under the circumstances is not reasonable IMHO.

Clearly the team is not where we would like it to be.

Qualitatively, you can see a difference in the defensive intensity and competiveness of the team. You look at the near misses against league leaders Illinois State, Indiana State and Creighton at home losing by a combined total of 9 points. So far in our 6 road losses we have an average margin of defeat of 16.7 points which is not good, but is an improvement over last year's average MVC road loss of 25.2 points.

They have reduced their turnovers from 18.2 PG in MVC play last year to 16.1 PG in MVC play this year. Still a little high, but an improvement.

We have 5 games remaining, 3 of which are on the road which has not been a good thing for Shocker teams. Nevertheless, they should be competitive in 4 of these games if they haven't run out of gas, which is a possibility.

So far, I think Jody has done about as well as you could reasonable expect considering the circumstances.

It is probably way to early to give Jody a grade. Let's give her the same courtesy as was given to Jane. IIRC, the rumblings about Jane's performance started in her fourth year. If our performance in Jody's 4th year is comparable to Jane's I am sure you will hear comparable rumblings about her job.

Comment

Jody's also a better recruiter. When she has her players, it'll make a big difference. She has the top MVC recruiting class coming in next year and I believe the #70 class overall.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker
                    Jody's also a better recruiter. When she has her players, it'll make a big difference. She has the top MVC recruiting class coming in next year and I believe the #70 class overall.
                    That is nice in theory but it doesn't mean these players can play at a high level. It is just "potential" at this point. She has showed she can recruit at a high level as a head coach because she hasn't had "her" class play for her yet.

I remember Jane having some nice classes too and how did they pan out?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                      IIRC, CourtJester had a history of being a WSU-basher on the old ValleyTalk.
                      I only bashed those comments by rabid fans who thought that WSU was one of the all-time great basketball programs/traditions in college basketball history.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker
                        That is nice in theory but it doesn't mean these players can play at a high level. It is just "potential" at this point. She has showed she can recruit at a high level as a head coach because she hasn't had "her" class play for her yet.

I remember Jane having some nice classes too and how did they pan out?
                        They didn't pan out for %^&*! That's because Jane was to busy trying to be friends with them then making them bust ass on the court. Look at the current girls that were Jane recruits and you hear it from all of them all the time that Jody has really brought it and taken them to another level as players and that's because she challenges them rather than buddies up with them. Go hear it from the horses mouth is what I'm getting at. They will be the first to tell you and have done so over and over to the local media.

Look I loved Jane as a person. She was easy to like and get along with but she wasn't cutting it as a coach. Keep in mind Jody has 8 players right now. She has to bring in a team of guys just to practice. Get her a squad of 15 and a little time and your going to see plenty of results. This years record is most reflective of a lack of depth rather than talent or leadership.

Go stir the pot somewhere else Jester.

Comment

Oh hell no..
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Go stir the pot somewhere else Jester.[/quote]

2-11 MVC speaks for itself...no need to stir.

Comment

Go stir the pot somewhere else Jester.

2-11 MVC speaks for itself...no need to stir.[/quote]

again, she has 9 players, what, 2 of them being hers? and is in her 1st year

but your right jester, we should probably just fire her now

Comment

Working...
                              X