Sunday's Game vs. Creighton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday's Game vs. Creighton

I hope everyone will be coming out for the Sunday afternoon game against the Jays to help support breast cancer awareness. It's been a tough couple of weeks for everyone in the women's game, and Jody was close to Coach Yow, so I'm sure she would love to see everyone in the stands wearing some pink.

Plus, it's family day - I'm sure the little ones wouldn't mind taking in the game with their pink t-shirts on, and the parents can enjoy it for cheap.

also, friday is buy one-get one free night against the bulldogs

Comment

Nice crowd. Lots of kids on Family Day & Pink Zone Day.

Shocks played hard and hung tough until a 14-1 run put the BlueJays on top 44-34 with 6:30 remaining. Shocks tried to rally but fell short losing 49-47.

Normally, you should win games at home when you hold your opponent to under 50 points. Unfortunately, the Shocks simply lack offensive fire power needed, especially with Daria Frazier languishing on the bench with her usual foul trouble while her counterpart, Junior Megan Neuvirth goes off for 20 second half points for the BlueJays.

On the positive side Freshman Haliegh Lankster looked pretty good for the Shocks today.

Jacie hit a couple of big three pointers as the shot clock was expiring.

CU pretty much swarmed Marcy on the inside and Daria never really got anything going today and was limited to 22 minutes due to foul trouble.

Tough road trip next week at INS and ILS.

Comment

i would LOVE to see the shockers get the same respect from the officials at home that the teams they've played on the road get

going by the game yesterday, i believe we pulled a scholarship on the black female official 20 years ago and she's still pissed about it

on the other hand, good to see such a nice crowd, and in support of a great cause

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
          Normally, you should win games at home when you hold your opponent to under 50 points. Unfortunately, the Shocks simply lack offensive fire power needed, especially with Daria Frazier languishing on the bench with her usual foul trouble ...
          With Marcy and Daria each getting three fouls in the first half, they were rarely on the court together in the second half - Daria did not start the half. But as noted, we got little production from the inside today even when they were on the court.

Junior Megan Neuvirth goes off for 20 second half points for the BlueJays.
          We didn't have anyone who could guard her. Ashley was on her more than anyone else, but she carried Creighton in the second half and had 24 of their 49 points for the game - only a missed free throw at the end kept her from having exactly half of them.

On the positive side Freshman Haleigh Lankster looked pretty good for the Shocks today.
          Haleigh is like a mini-Daria in so many ways: she is quick enough to take her defender to the hole (which she did several times today) and can shoot some (which I hope she improves on) and is prone to silly fouls (but she did a terrific job against the Creighton point guard). Like I said ...

Jacie hit a couple of big three pointers as the shot clock was expiring.
          In the postgame show, Coach Adams noted that Jacie was willing to step up and take that shot and wished Val would do that a little more. Though Val was scoreless, she did have three three-balls spin out. Coach was much more satisfied with today's performance as opposed to that against Drake.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose
            In the postgame show, Coach Adams noted that Jacie was willing to step up and take that shot and wished Val would do that a little more. Though Val was scoreless, she did have three three-balls spin out. Coach was much more satisfied with today's performance as opposed to that against Drake.
            Rightfully so - Friday's performance against Drake was abysmal.

And Val dealt with a very unfriendly rim Sunday, that's for sure

Comment

It also appeared that the CU defense was keeping a close eye on Val as they pretty much shadowed her every move. I haven't seen enough games to know if other teams do that as well but it's as if they weren't going to let her get going from deep and were going to force the others to make plays.

They also did a very good job of collapsing on Marcy when she got the ball in the post.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                I haven't seen enough games to know if other teams do that as well but it's as if they weren't going to let her get going from deep and were going to force the others to make plays.
                I would say that is is a common and consistent approach used by MVC teams. She has actually done a better job lately finding a few shots. Unfortunately, she could not get any to fall Sunday.

I was not aware that CU's point guard, #5 Chevelle Herring, was CU's leading scorer. Heckuva a job done primarily by Haleigh and Jacie shutting her down and holder her scoreless on 8 shots and she played the entire 40 minutes.

Unfortunately, we had no answeer for Neuvirth. Our best answer spent most of the second half on the bench, although we made some poor help decisions in the 2nd half and left her wide open for a couple of treys that started CU's game deciding 14-1 run.

Comment

Working...
                X