Lady Shocks at Southern Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady Shocks at Southern Illinois

This is one of our better chances for a road win. And we can cheer them on from our sofas!

Lady Shocks 31-31 Southern Illinois at the half.

We started off with the zone press but took it off after the first media timeout. It was giving up too many easy looks.

Daria has managed to pickup three first half fouls - the last a silly attempt to pick up a charge. She has to play smarter and stay on the court - only eleven minutes in the first half.

We got some threes midway through the half to build a lead, and then we started relying on them a little too much, taking them too quickly. (Of the 27 field goal attempts, twelve of them are from beyond the arc.) And then Southern knocked down their threes to reclaim the lead for a time.

SIU is beating us off the dribble a lot, either getting layups or dishing off inside for easy buckets. Defensive transition has been weak.

We are not getting many touches inside at all.

Rebounds and turnovers are even.

Comment

I was thinking the game started at 7. At least that's what it shows on KS22. I guess I'll catch the last 5 minutes of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker
        I was thinking the game started at 7. At least that's what it shows on KS22. I guess I'll catch the last 5 minutes of the game.
        The game was moved up to 530pm because the Missouri State-Southern Illinois men's game was moved back a day from Wednesday to tonight - the Bears could not get out because of the weather.

Comment

The refs missed a double driibble by No. 24 on SIU. If you recorded the game, watch her starting at 2:32 left in the overtime.

Comment

Lady Shocks 66-76 (OT) Southern Illinois

The OT went the same as the first five minutes of the second half - the only point(s) were from the line. I think the first basket of the second half was at the 13:49 mark. The hole we found ourselves in and had to fight out of in the second half (down by twelve at one point) took a lot out of us.

Some great defensive pressure and points off the turnovers got us back in the game late. But then we did not get a shot with the last possession of regular time.

Val played the entire second half and led the Shocks with fifteen points along with Daria (and Val had six rebounds). Her 41 minutes was second only to Jacie.

Daria fouled out in regulation with too much time left, but did score seven straight points in the comeback. We need her on the court - she is really the only one who can create out of system.

Marcy had a double-double with thirteen points and twelve rebounds. But the postgame show noted that we played outside-in for much of the game - the Salukis did a nice job with their interior defense.

Marisah had limited contributions and played only fifteen minutes. Basically, Val got Marisah's minutes.

Southern had a slight edge in both rebounds and turnovers. Dribble penetration continued to be an issue in the second half.

We have another chance for a win at Evansville on Saturday, but probably not as good as this one. Missouri State leads the Purple Aces, 32-25, at the half. EDIT: The Bears win, 76-63.

Comment

I agree that this was probably our best chance on this roadie to break our long road losing streak.

SIU has some nice players and played pretty well.

I thought the Shocks may have run out of gas towards the end of regulation and simply had no legs left for the OT.

Daria continues to frustrate me with her inability to stay out of foul trouble. She can, at times, dominate a game, but she has to be on the floor to do that and she has to keep the fouls down in order to stay in full aggressive mode.

Very tough for the Shocks to win a close game with Daria sitting on the bench.

Nice to see Val have a strong game.

Marcy was her usual solid self.

Shocks still refuse to throw in the towel and they keep giving all they have.

Comment

If anyone missed the game, it repeats Tuesday at 7:00p on KS22.

Comment

Working...
                X