Shocker Softball 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Softball 2009

Shocks picked to finish 5th in MVC pre-season poll. Probalby fair.

2009 Schedule out also:

Looks like the Shocks have their work cut out for them. Looking forward to seeing how Kasha Kolb develops in the circle. Also can Brianna Smet and Jamie be effective pitchers.

Offensively, we have some big holes to fill with the gradutation of Katie McGeeney, Britnee Barnett and Cynthia Verlhulst.

Good Luck, Lady Shocks!

:goshocks:

The Shocks have an intrasquad scrimmage scheduled for 1pm this Saturday, 31 January, before they start the string of tournaments that begin their season.

Comment

I think our pitching and defense will keep us in games but like '72 said, we were far from a powerful offensive team last year and we lost the biggest pieces.

We are either going to have made huge strides in the off season or our freshmen have to be very, very good to compete for the top of the Valley.

I look forward to seeing some results. I have heard from a couple of different sources that Kasha is the real deal.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
        I think our pitching and defense will keep us in games but like '72 said, we were far from a powerful offensive team last year and we lost the biggest pieces.
        From the recruiting classes of the past few years, it would seem that Coach Perniciaro prefers a "speed" offense over a "power" offense. I think there is gap power on the team, but of the returners, only Jamie with five had more than one homer last year.

I have heard from a couple of different sources that Kasha is the real deal.
        Kasha is the real deal, but she is also a freshman. Brianna and Jamie are going to have to step it up if we are to have a competitive staff.

Comment

A 2009 Shocker Softball Preview.

Comment

Why won't WSU recruit locally? With over 20 high school girls signing to play Division I this next year out of Kansas one would think the Shockers could get some of them. They have two, and with only three Kansas girls on the team this season with two seniors will have three total. Also, Cowley County has an All-American pre-season battery that comes from the home state which is very deadly including a catcher who led the national junior college ranks in home runs with 29 last year which is 2 more than the entire WSU team had.

Even KU took three Kansas girls next year.....

Recruit Kansas :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Comment

Originally posted by Hovpen
              Why won't WSU recruit locally? With over 20 high school girls signing to play Division I this next year out of Kansas one would think the Shockers could get some of them. They have two, and with only three Kansas girls on the team this season with two seniors will have three total. Also, Cowley County has an All-American pre-season battery that comes from the home state which is very deadly including a catcher who led the national junior college ranks in home runs with 29 last year which is 2 more than the entire WSU team had.

Do you know anything about the 2 pitchers for TMP? One is a senior and the other a junior but both seem to have enough talent to take the next step (to my admittedly untrained eye).

Comment

I don't really know how hard WSU recruits "locally", but the fact that we do not have a lot of Kansas players does not necessarily mean we aren't recruiting them. I assume the Coaching staff will recruit the best players they can find for the program, after all their long-term longevity depends upon it. I suspect recruiting focuses mostly on summer traveling teams over high school teams. That is where the best players can be found.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                  I don't really know how hard WSU recruits "locally", but the fact that we do not have a lot of Kansas players does not necessarily mean we aren't recruiting them.
                  How shall we say this ... the politics surrounding the locally sponsored 18U Gold team make area kids a more difficult recruit for Wichita State. IMHO.

And this is assuming the girls are talented enough to be at WSU. Last year's 18U Gold team did not qualify for Nationals, and if I recall correctly, the previous year's team was 0-2 at Nationals.

But '72 is correct - the coaches' jobs ultimately depend on them finding the girls that can help them win. It makes no difference if they come from across the street or Outer Mongolia.

Comment

I believe we signed a shortstop from Derby for next year.

Comment

Do you know anything about the 2 pitchers for TMP? One is a senior and the other a junior but both seem to have enough talent to take the next step (to my admittedly untrained eye).
                      Madison, the senior, has committed to Fort Hays State. Kaylee, the junior lefty, is also a good athlete overall, averaging 18 points a game for her undefeated basketball team. They have a third pitcher coming in as a freshman this year so they won't miss a beat. Both Madison and Kaylee will throw for the Wichita Renegades gold team this year.

Next year, Sammie from Derby (seems Derby girls play well at WSU) will be a great addition. And I'd like to see the two Arkansas City girls come up from Cowley.

Moose: When its difficult, great coaches try harder. And there are still the Peppers, Rockets, Zephers, Wahoos, and a few other gold teams in Kansas along with the local Renegades and Mustangs.

BTW, The Mustangs have some good looking lefties coming up. All young so it would be a good time to perhaps do a little of that politicen. And you used the correct term IMHO.

Drop over to our forum on softball, U might catch a few more names. :wsu_posters:

Comment

In some respects, I think recruiting has become more difficult. In an ideal world, you would like to see elite players against elite competition - hence, the value of 18U Gold teams. But so many of those players already have one year of college or have already committed to a program. With a limited recruiting budget, do you go to those tourneys when in reality there are few "available" players?

Or do you go to 16U tourneys that are judged to be "significant"? Nationals, Fourth of July in Colorado, big fall tourneys in a California or a Texas and the like. And then trying to project those kids a few years out ... wow, I am glad I don't have that job!

Comment

Madison, the senior, has committed to Fort Hays State. Kaylee, the junior lefty, is also a good athlete overall, averaging 18 points a game for her undefeated basketball team. They have a third pitcher coming in as a freshman this year so they won't miss a beat. Both Madison and Kaylee will throw for the Wichita Renegades gold team this year.

Next year, Sammie from Derby (seems Derby girls play well at WSU) will be a great addition. And I'd like to see the two Arkansas City girls come up from Cowley.

Moose: When its difficult, great coaches try harder. And there are still the Peppers, Rockets, Zephers, Wahoos, and a few other gold teams in Kansas along with the local Renegades and Mustangs.

BTW, The Mustangs have some good looking lefties coming up. All young so it would be a good time to perhaps do a little of that politicen. And you used the correct term IMHO.

Drop over to our forum on softball, U might catch a few more names. :wsu_posters:
                          Thanks for the update. Maddie seemed to be the better pitcher at the time I have seen them but Kaylee has more talent and upside...and she throws smoke.

I had heard the incoming freshman is equally talented...physically she appears gifted but I have never seen her pitch....everyone that knows her though salivates at her upside.

Thanks again.

Comment

Sorry Doc but your last statement was a little awkward.

Comment

Does TMP refer to Thomas More Prep in Hays?

Comment

Working...
                              X