Lady Shocks v Illinois State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady Shocks v Illinois State

We will see tonight if the "I need someone to rebound" lineup matures offensively.

Missouri State drilled Indiana State this afternoon, 77-53, and out boarded them by a wide margin. Of course, when you shoot the percentages the two teams did (46% v 28%), you will tend to outrebound a team with all the defensive rebounds available. At any rate, our rebounding margin of Thursday is not quite as impressive.

Shocks 70-73 (OT) Illinois State

Midway through the first half, I thought that there was no way we could stay with this team - they had too many weapons. (Illinois State had five players in double figures, scoring 71 of their 73 points.)

But even though, the Redbirds shot 45%, we managed 43%. Marcy had 21 and Daria, 19. Val contributed 13 points in 32 minutes, the most she has played in a long time if not the season. Part of the playing time was the defensive ineffectiveness of Haleigh - 4 fouls in 14 minutes.

Rebounds and turnovers were about even.

Again, Shantel was DNP and Jadhon played only one minute.

One has to really be encouraged. I think Illinois State will win the Valley, and we came ever so close.

Comment

The 12-0 run by the RedBirds to open the second half at the end of which Marcy and Daria had 3 fouls and Haleigh had her 4 foul with 16 minutes to play really hurt.

Daria fouled out with 5 minutes in regulation with 19 points and 9 rebounds.

Yet the Shocks found a way to hang in the game. You wonder what the outcome in regulation would have been had Daria not fouled out.

Marcy had a tough match up against 6'6" Nicole Lewis but responded very well with a 21 point, 7 rebound effort, although March did miss a few more free throws than normal for her.

Val was finally able to get some good looks (pun intended) and chipped in 13 points.

Jacie with perhaps the best floor game of her career had 13 assists and only 2 turnovers and Marisah had 7 assists and only 3 turnovers. Overall, the Shocks had 25 assists on 30 baskets and turned the ball over only 15 times.

Shocks were outrebounded 42-39 and ILS got a number of big offensive rebounds late (after Daria fouled out).

Another good effort by the Lady Shocks falls a little short. Still it is very hard to get down on this team. This is the best I have felt about the direction of WSU Women's BB in a long, long time.

Comment

Hard to believe that UNI knocked of Bradley 92-76 today in Cedar Falls.

Comment

I attended my 5th (this year) WSU women's game last night. This team continues to amaze me.

I expected the team to improve. I expected Jody to be intense and improve preparation.

In my wildest dreams I never expected a group of 9 young ladies to play as hard and be as good as these girls have become.

I left them for dead on at least 4 different occassions last night and they simply refuse to die. They play harder than any team I've ever seen at any level. It is amazing.

I don't care what you say, when your team loses, you leave a little down. Not last night, at least not for me. That's the best team in the league? They were fortunate to win...be thankful the refs jobbed Daria.

Yeah they have talent and a lot of it but our girls were right there, took every punch, watched our best player get jobbed out of the game with 5 minutes left and still very easily could have won the game.

If they can avoid injuries (they have no depth) and excessive fouls they will not surprise me any longer. They out compete everyone.

I'm saying it right now. If we can field a full team, and injuries don't cripple our team and the incoming class is anywhere nearly as good as advertised, this team will win the MVC regular season, post season tourney, or both........next year.

They compete on a different level than everyone else.

Comment

i personally am tired of seeing the ladies get jobbed by the officials. 3 of daria's fouls were bogus (including the worst of all, her 5th). you can't tell me we don't win that game if she plays the last 5 minutes

i know we didn't get the calls indiana state and illinois state got here when we were on the road last weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
              I'm saying it right now. If we can field a full team, and injuries don't cripple our team and the incoming class is anywhere nearly as good as advertised, this team will win the MVC regular season, post season tourney, or both........next year.
              Doc, while I share your optimism about the future of the Ladies Program under Jody's guidance, I have to say your are more optimistic than I am about the time table.

Keep in mind that we will graduate 2 very fine Seniors in Marcy and Daria. Granted they were no more than average performers their first 3 years, but so far this year they look like All-Conference players to me.

They will be tough to replace. Daria is about as athletic of a player as you will see in the MVC and she finally is letting the game come to her with perhaps the exception of her propensity to get into foul trouble.
              Marcy is very consistent and very smart.

We will be replacing these two senior leaders with freshmen. It will be asking an awful lot of incoming freshmen to replace the production that Marcy and Daria have brought to the table this year even with the incoming class being highly regarded.

I think next year may very well continue to be challenging for the Shocks in the MVC and would expect another bottom half finish.

The following year (2010 - 2011) I think we will make a move into the Top half of the league and maybe contend for a Tournament Championship.

Thereafter (2011-12 and following), I hope to be contending annually for league chamipionships.

:goshocks:

Comment

Your analysis is much more realistic and pragmatic (and probably likely).

My comment is only based upon my belief that it is going to be easier to "leapfrog" programs in womens basketball as compared to other more competitive sports (mens) when you have a coach as talented and determined as Jody.

I simply believe she will find a way at the expense of her opponents.

Anything below a top 3 finish next season will stun me and make me re-evaluate our conference.

Comment

Working...
                X